Fan and YPVS not working

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

RZVTokyo

Fan and YPVS not working

#1 Post by RZVTokyo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:45 am

I've installed a switch to the fan which I've attached to the two wires of the thermo switch. I had tested it and everything (fan and YPVS servo) was working properly.

I went on a ride today and now the fan does not turn on turn on and the YPVS servo does not cycle when I turn on the ignition.

I've tested both the fan and YPVS servo with a battery and they both work. I've also checked the YPVS fuse. everything looks ok. I even swapped out the YPVS controller with my spare. Still no luck. The engine starts and runs. I'm assuming that the power valves will not open in this condition.

Any ideas on where I should check?

RCEE

Re: Fan and YPVS not working

#2 Post by RCEE » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:43 am

Main fuse ?
RD500LC Black/Red
FZ400R
Location Netherlands

RZVTokyo

#3 Post by RZVTokyo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am

Thanks but checked that as well.

begbie

#4 Post by begbie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:09 am

The thermo unit and therfore the fan and YPVS are on the same electrical circuit on that 10 amp fuse you checked. I had a similar problem where the thermo unit was shorting out internaly and blowing the fuse located in the cockpit fairing not the main fuse near the battery, If as you say the fuse is ok check the wiring leading upto it and the connections in the fuse box unit and then unplug the thermo unit, if you bridge the connections on the loom side the fan should start spinning, but I would think you have a poor conection somewhere before the fuse box as both are not working.
good luck.

HWY9CA

#5 Post by HWY9CA » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:48 am

How did you attache the fan switch?
If you did not interrupt the thermostat circuit and went to frame ground that might be an issue. As begbie stated the circuit is shared.

The Thermostat and YPVS share a brown wire---- Look at your Wiring diagram.
If you do not have one look on this site they have a few.
the 2nd from top fuse = YPVS power on your fuse box.

JT

PS I need some contacts in Tokyo for parts and service on 2 strokes If you can please provide info.

Thank You John Tippin
RD's Only.com
http://www.rdsonly.com/
JT
1975 RD350B
1975 RD250B -rough
1979 RD400 Race bike- in process
1985 RZ500 - flame bike
1993 TZ250 4DP2- to be restored

RZVTokyo

#6 Post by RZVTokyo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:23 am

Hi Begbie and John,

I've connected the switch to the two wires on the harness side which is connected to the thermo switch. Everything was working until a long ride. About half way into the ride, I had noticed that the fan had stopped working. (I turned the fan on after about 15 minutes of riding. About 40 minutes into the ride, I noticed that the fan had stopped working.

I did a quick check of the fuses and connections. Nothing loose or burnt out. I'll take another look when I return to Japan later this week.

John,

As for parts and service, please PM me with your needs. I'll see if I ccan help.

Thank You,

Shayne

RZVTokyo

#7 Post by RZVTokyo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:03 pm

I've been able to get everything working again.

I guess it was a case of dirty connectors. I disconnected everything and cleaned all connectors. Some parts of my harness are starting to show their age.

I've found a shop in Japan which sells new aftermarket harnesses for the RZV. A little pricey but I may give it a go in the future.

Thanks for your help guys.