zeeltronic pcdi-24v split bank timing

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

bungerlowbill
- - - - -
- - - - -

zeeltronic pcdi-24v split bank timing

#1 Post by bungerlowbill » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi all ,i have just fitted new zeeltronic pcdi-24 module ,now have made sure the violet coil wire is for lower bank cylinders ,the orange for the rear cylinders, now i have been reading about retarding rear cylinders timing by 4 degrees to help the rears run cooler .
so on the hand held programmer in ignition advance bank 2 do i put setting to -4.0 degree's ,any help would be greatly received ,this in the standard ignition map
2000rpm 19 degree's / 3500rpm 29 degree's/ 9000rpm 18 degree's etc etc
kind regards bill

begbie

Re: zeeltronic pcdi-24v split bank timing

#2 Post by begbie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:38 pm

For a start, as stock the RD has only one pick up and runs a wasted spark so you cant time the front and rear cylinder up as seperate pairs.
If your worried about heat upgrade your cooling system, but I doubt its nessesary on an 80 or 90 hp road bike in the UK climate.
Whats the spec of the engine?, Stock exhaust's or chambers ? what HP are you expecting, road bike or track bike ?
Get it maped on a dyno, James at http://www.krazy-katt.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a genius with jetting and programable Ignitions on two strokes, and has had quite a few RD500's in his work shop. Including my 2.

bungerlowbill
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by bungerlowbill » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:20 pm

hi begbie, mine is running std cards stage 3 stan the man porting etc
nikkon gp style pipes was running this with rzv cdi and ypvs module had probs with ypvs then got dip switches from twostrokeracelab when original packed up , then cdi played up tried second hand then a tunebox5 cdi which didn't work properly then another from asia alas i did improve mpg oops sorry i ment didn't work again so now here i am with pcdi-24v i was under the impression that it took a time delay for firing internally of the ciruitry any way thank you for replying regards bill

begbie

#4 Post by begbie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:43 pm

You really should think about getting it set up on a dyno, you will save your self a lot of hassel, you can advance or retard the ign curve but only on all 4 cylinders at once. Give the guy above a call he is an enthusiast like us, you'll leave with the best, safest possible set up for your tune, pipe's and carb set up.

greenmurraym

#5 Post by greenmurraym » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi Bungerlowbill.

Can I ask what happened with the Tunebox CDI?

My CDI gave up two days after I got my RZV ( but I couldn't be sure that it was the CDI). I got a second hand one from a wrecker, and it did not work ( so still I did not know 100% that the CDI was the root cause of my ignition woes). So I went to a race meet, and gave my CDI's to a guy who put them on one of his 4 RZ's, and my original one intermittently sparked, then stopped, and the wrecker one did not spark at all. So I put a Tunebox CDI on, and it works wonderfully ( at idle) I am bleeding brakes ( another saga), so cant test the whole curve, however I can't get in the CDI to see the curves or remap. I bought the interface and it does not connect. What were your issues with Tunebox CDI?
Mark

84 RZV500R
04 YZF-R1

bungerlowbill
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by bungerlowbill » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:19 pm

hi ya green, had the same probs it ran then cough spluttered backfired i bought the usb interface keeps coming up with no interface connected am going to get a pals son who's abit of a it whizz to have a look cause it has a port on cdi and probably runs a program of somekind if if work i'll let you know what happens, don't know when i'll drop it round to him regards bill.

jredgrave

#7 Post by jredgrave » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:30 am

So the specification says that an offset can be programmed between the two coil outputs:
- programmable timing offset between twin output (RD/RZ500)
The manual isn't very clear on the handheld programmer and zeelProg allows individual adjustment of each output, so it doesn't help clear things up. I'd email zeeltronics if I were you.

jason

bungerlowbill
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by bungerlowbill » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Well guys here's an update , spoke to James and Shaun at Krazykats and the tuning shop ,so warmed bike up set static advance 34 degrees set flat curve 15degrees strobes cylinder no.2 at tick over timing dot aligns in window rev the bike cause of flat curve mark does not deviate at rev range , now set ignition curve 0-2k 19 degrees /3.5k 29 degrees and so on , now checked with strobe marks nowhere in the window
Test the bike flat until 6k then goes ok now have tried 1ge curve and tz500 curve 47x curve now checked with old cdi strobe as before marks align al the away through the rev range so armed with this I have set curve for 1 ge and set the static advance 15 degrees , but kept 1ge ignition curve tested bike and rides how it used to before cdi packed up strong from low. Revs them as it comes onto pipe around 5-6k as valves begin to opens lathe way round to 10k so I don' t under stand that if I set static advance. To 31-34 degrees it's flat as pancake , I made sure no 2 was dial gauged to Tdc so mark showed up red marked said mark for strobe I know it should be synonym-ed but hay oh more spence than money by riding feels better so will ride though rev range as I would normally and check plugs after rides to get an idea ,sorry forgot to mention when set to borats curve would mis-fire at low revs not taking anything away from zeeltronic it's just what I have found with my rzv nikkon pipes ss3 tuned std carbs /air box 195 mains and rd air jets etc as I said was running perfect when it had its 51x cdi and ypvs module now using 6.9k - 9.3k ypvs curve and I have checked 5k plugs and plug caps generator and exciter windings with in tolerances carbs and ypvs oil pump set up as per video training manual on youtube so any help would be great but thanks to the guys at the tuning shop and krazykatts and to all of you kind regards and early noël tidings bill

bungerlowbill
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by bungerlowbill » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:27 pm

update i'm a bellendus maximus, timed ignition from no1 cylinder top left when sitting on bike hey presto, all go, now runs ok ,so apologyies to borat on dought ,but my fault for using timing from service manual which says connect timing light to cylinder no.2 bottom left by generator cover Doh!
now you know why i'm called bungerlowbill, unlike a house i've not got a lot upstairs regards bill