Where should these 2 broken wires go?

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Dennis

Where should these 2 broken wires go?

#1 Post by Dennis » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:45 pm

My bike was always a difficult starter but now after being stood for 6 months I'm investigating no sparks. I have found 2 broken wires:

1) Various wires branch from the loom near the battery box:

Thick Red and thick Black which goes to the fuse on the battery box.
Thinner Red and thinner Black which go to the battery terminals.
Green/Yellow and Brown whiich connect to 2 black wires attached to the rear brake switch.
Finally one Black which plugs into a length of Black/White which hangs loose. Where should this go?

2) From the loom near the rectifier I have:

3 White and 1 Red which go to the rectifier.
1 orange and 1 black which go to the coil terminals.
Red/White and Grn/Wht which connect to the pickup coil.
The remainder go to the multipin plug from the magneto except:
A single black hanging loose. Where should this go?

Hope someone can help breath life into the beast as my local neighborhood doesn't know what 2 strokes are about and I'm desperate to give them an (aural) education!

rklages
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by rklages » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:09 pm

I will look tonight but I am 99% sure on these.

1. This is a frame ground, should go to the YPVS module wher it bolts to the frame or where the battery box bolts to the frame - either will work, I don't have the battery box on mine, so I just use the tab from that to bolt it to.

2. This sounds like the ground wire that goes to the lower coil - it sits under the bolt that holds the coil to the bracket that bolts to the frame.

Rob

Dennis

#3 Post by Dennis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:09 am

Many thanks for the swift reply, Rob.
What you say looks to be correct. However, if I connect a meter between either of the loose wires and the frame they are already showing continuity. Should I be worried about this or stop thinking too much and just connect the damn things.
Any idea where either of these wires emerge or what they're connected to at the other end?
Sorry to be a pain but I want to eliminate all possibilities from my 'no-sparks' saga....

rklages
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by rklages » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:21 am

There are many points at which things ground on the bike and all the wires eventually converge in the wiring harness and attach to the ground side of the battery. You should see continuity to ground on both, it is just to ensure proper grounding in key locations, like the coil and ypvs module to make sure they are grounded in case the connection to the frame doesn't ground properly due to corrosion etc. Most bikes don't have so many grounds, but my theory is that the harness was made for the aluminum fram which usually is more of an issue keeping a good ground, and then they just used it for the steel frame also.

As for your spark issue, are you seeing voltage at the coils - have you followed the procedure in the service manual for testing the coils and other releated devices?

One hidden gem is the tach, there is a wire that goes to the tach that if not connected or if connected to anything else (even if it isn't a ground, like an aux tach) will cause the bike not to fire.

www.rzv500r.net has the manual

http://www.rzv500r.net/HTML/Manual2.htm

under electrical they have test procedures for most things and a section on no spark.

Good luck!

Rob

Dennis

#5 Post by Dennis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:48 pm

Many thanks again Rob - good explanation on the grounding issue.
As for the spark issue, I think I'd better start a separate thread on this one, but I will definately check out the tacho wire tonight.

P.S. How good is the search facility on this new board! Big thanks to everyone involed!