No sparks - help!!!

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Dennis

No sparks - help!!!

#1 Post by Dennis » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:46 am

OK, please bear in mind that I'm not too smart on electronics and the bike was running until I stored it for 6 months. All other electrics (lights, flashers, instuments, YPVS) seem to be working perfectly.

So here's what I've done so far:
Battery fully charged and various earths fixed up (thanks 'rklages').
Removed plugs and caps - still no spark from end of leads.
Following the manual I checked resistances:

Pickup coil (wht/grn - wht/red) shows 116
Source coil (red - grn) shows 154
Source coil (brn - red) shows 21.

Both coils show 12.5K on secondaries and 1.1 on the primaries. The 1.1 seems high but it is the same on both coils and the temp. here in Oz is 30-40C! Or could both coils be duds?

Next I checked for continuity from the CDI plug:
Both oranges to coils OK.
Blk to earth OK.
Red/Wht and Grn/Wht to magneto pickups OK.
Brn and Grn to magneto OK.
Red/Wht to magneto and kill switch OK.
Blk/Wht to tacho (Grey) OK.

I'd now like to check for voltage getting to the coils (orange and black wires). How would I do this using a cheap multimeter? Is it an AC signal at the coils?
What should the voltage between kill switch and CDI be? How can I check this?
Could a Yamaha dealer reliably check the CDI and/or coils? Are there any checks I can do on the CDI box (1GE)?

Please, someone point me in the right direction - I really don't know what to do or check next. Help get this beast back on the road!

Jeff B

#2 Post by Jeff B » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:51 pm

If I were you I'd start by disconnecting and reconnecting every plug that deals with ignition. If it ran when you parked it one of your connections could have developed a little corrosion. It's unlikely both coils went at the same time.

rob da nutter
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by rob da nutter » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:00 am

hi mate, coils have a AC input, to check the kill switch i just unplug them and make sure its not earthing anywhere. other then unpluging, check continuity through the kill wire (switch on run) it should be open.