No juice after turning on key

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

cyclonel

No juice after turning on key

#1 Post by cyclonel » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:28 pm

Hi,

My bike has been sitting about 3 months.
When I turned the key on nothing, checked & replaced the battery, no go.
Everything was fine the last time I started it.
Where to look & what to check?

Regards,
Ron

rztom
Site Admin

#2 Post by rztom » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:24 pm

Hey Ron - first off... welcome to our community..!! :smile:

Now, when you turn on the key, does the headlight come on? Do the power valves cycle? Does the horn honk? Have you checked all your fuses?

You say it's been sitting 3 months - have you performed any maintenance or other mods during that time? Anything? :-?

roadtoad32

Re: No juice after turning on key

#3 Post by roadtoad32 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:00 pm

I have an 84,no spark,lights attempt to come on and power valve pulleys lethargically turn ,new battery ,run down will charge out of bike tonight 2 amps .This after having been idel for 6 weeks ,started 1st kick last Friday night,rode it Saturday,ran outta gas ,put fuel and rode it home, next day nada.all conections seem fine ,suspect a short were the tank meets the positive side of the battery. My question is if that's the matter what generally gets fried first?

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by silverstrom » Fri May 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Roadtoad32....

The 2 weakest links in your 84 RZ350 are the CDI and the stator. Both problems are very well known and very common. The CDI won't affect your battery. The stator will. Typically the CDI failure goes like this: the bike will run fine for a while until it gets warms, then the CDI will start to fail due to a cold solder joint and eventually the bike will simply die. Once everything is cold again the bike will start and run briefly until the CDI gets hot and starts acting up again. Sometimes it will just quit and that's the end of it. The only way to test the CDI is to try a different CDI. A stator failure will mean no spark and no charging. If I were you I'd start my metering your stator. It's very easy to do and takes just a few minutes. The only way you'll sort this out is by eliminating the obvious. And as for the battery, well, it can be dead flat and you should still have spark when you push the kicker.

Also....you may find it better to seek help on the 350 side of the forum. You can always PM me as well....on either forum. The 350 is where I spend most of my time and I've been around the block a few times.

roadtoad32

#5 Post by roadtoad32 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:12 am

Thanks for the information,short of going to youtube ,would you be willing to guide me through metering the stator,,self proclaimed knucklehead when electrical needs attention.Am good at following instructions ,let me know .Thanks in advance Joe

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by silverstrom » Sat May 30, 2015 2:28 am

Sure. PM me your email address and we'll get it sorted out. If you can work the meter and know what resistance is you can do the test. There are only 8 wires to check.

Do you have a manual? If not, I'll email you one.

John

roadtoad32

#7 Post by roadtoad32 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:54 am

roadtoad32

#8 Post by roadtoad32 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:11 am

John
Thanks for the information ,I have stashed the bike over at my sons garage.I agreed to not work on it on site so ill have to pick it up and bring it over to where im renting a room ,bought a used cdi box and its supposed to be here tuesday,not holding my breath as to its condition.Was looking around at options and the banshee crowd has parts galor.one guy offers a new stator,coil,cdi box ,rectifier for two hundred ,Do you know of anyone that could tell me if the parts are interchangable,theres also a couple of aftermarket outfits that sound like the have cdi boxs specific to what year rz you have