Fuel gauge questions

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Matty
- - - - -
- - - - -

Fuel gauge questions

#1 Post by Matty » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:04 pm

Dose anyone know if the RZ wiring harness contains the provision for the RZV fuel gauge? Here's why. I picked up a damaged FJ 1200 fuel tank (to do Ken Smith's fuel cap mod to a spare RZ tank I have) and with it came the fuel level sensor/ float. This has me thinking, It would be nice to rig up a fuel gauge or a low level light.

And just out of curiosity dose the RZV have a reserve on the fuel tap? If so dose reserve kick in below or above empty on the gauge?

Essexmetal
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by Essexmetal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:08 pm

Matty,

Yes the RZV has a Res. on the tap. Same tap as an RZ as far as I can see.

I was not paying attention the other night and ran mine out. When I pressed the switch for the fuel gauge the needle went just below the top line of the bottom indication block on the gauge. The shit of it was I had to push it out of the intersection to get in on Res. and fired up or risk being run over. The up side is I know now where the gauge reads.

I have an RZV wire harness out of the bike and I think they have some differences. Besides fuel there is also the light "flash" control and running light in the head lamp. My guess would be that they are stand alone to their specific model.
Rick

Matty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by Matty » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:39 am

Thanks Rick. I guess I'll just run some extra wires. What do you mean by switch for the fuel gauge? Do you switch between temp and fuel?

Essexmetal
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Essexmetal » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:37 am

Matty,

Yes there is a switch (button) on the throttle side marked "func" obviously for function.

When you press it the temp gauge which has duel markings converts to a fuel gauge. So there is a bit more than a couple of wires since I would think the temp gauge signal has to also go through this switch as well to allow it to be interupted by the fuel sender signal. Nothing that a bit of time won't overcome. Since these bikes are a bit thursty, I think a fuel gage is a great feature to add.
Rick

Matty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Matty » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:18 pm

I guess I'd need a right hand RZV switch block as well as the RZV gauge. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll see if I can mount a string of LED's to work as a fuel gauge, or even a single light for low fuel. This needs some more thought.

Twinsport
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by Twinsport » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:07 am

Matty,

You could consider using the fuel guage/temp guage from the FZ750. Then you don't need the switch and you will have the temp and fuel level at the same time.

/Steen
If I had a signature, it would be good.

Matty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by Matty » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:55 am

Hey Steen, thanks for the info. That would be a better option.

Matty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by Matty » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:54 am

I picked up an FZ temp gauge on the way home from work tonight. It's the same style gauge but it's 10mm larger in dia and wont fit in the RZ mounting bracket. I'll remove the cluster on the weekend and see what the possibilities are.

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by Andrew » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:26 pm

Essexmetal wrote:When you press it the temp gauge which has duel markings converts to a fuel gauge.
Rick
Rick
How's the fuel gauge needle react to you pressing the func switch. My temp reading is smooth, but when I switch to get a fuel reading, it bounces quite a bit. (Seems like it needs a bit of damping if you know what I mean)
Andy
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

Essexmetal
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by Essexmetal » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:42 pm

Andy,

Do you mean an electrical bounce or needle movement from the fuel surging in the tank?

Mine is a rapid but smooth movement to it indicated level.

Unlike new fuel gauges I like the old style that like the RZV that moves in real time with the fuel / sender movement. Give the bike a wiggle and if the gauge moves there is still some fuel. No movee, no fuelee.
Rick

sundaytimes

#11 Post by sundaytimes » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:40 am

Has anyone found the reason for the temp/fuel gauge bouncing when indicating the fuel level. My RZV shows a steady temperature reading but a very erratic reading when displaying the fuel level?

Thanks

Steve