r6 front fairing track vs street mounting questions onto rz

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

excorcist

r6 front fairing track vs street mounting questions onto rz

#1 Post by excorcist » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:37 am

Hi, Just picked up a '85 rz500 today with the r6 front / rear wheel and suspension mods done, as well as an r1 tail section and speedo.

The front fairings all have the original paint in decent condition, but there are cracks here and there, and I really really like the looks of the r6 front fairings people have mounted. I have searched for a couple hours and just can't find any build threads or pertinent details I am looking for.

I am wondering if it is easier to use the track/ race type fairings with no headlights to worry about, or if it is just as easy to use the street fairings with headlights. This is a clean title CA registered bike so would like to keep it street legal, but have seen some nice aftermarket projectors mounted to race fairings and was considering it an option.

Im assuming this will depend wether or not the rz or r6 front stay is used, and I can't seem to find what people have been doing. I have seen pictures of 3 or 4 rzs with this done and it seems all have used the street fairings with headlights, just no info on how they went about it.

Anyways have been on the sight all day and all last night learning tons about the ins and outs of these bikes, seems to be some very nice people on here.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

kpke

Re: r6 front fairing track vs street mounting questions onto

#2 Post by kpke » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:49 am

You bought this???

If so you may be local to me and I can offer info on mounting R6 body parts. Plus I would love to see that bike.

PM your name and phone number and I will call you.

Ken
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

excorcist

#3 Post by excorcist » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:05 pm

Thats the one. You have a pm :smt001

excorcist

#4 Post by excorcist » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:17 pm

Havent heard from KPKE yet but I did order a set of street fairings along with the front stay. This was based on KPKE's very very helpful thread I found here :

http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... &start=105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the main issue I will run into in regards to front and side fairings is the factory air boxes being too wide. Will have to cross that bridge when it comes which seems it will include some sort of custom aluminum sheet "sandwich" type filter which I'm assuming will also lead to re-jetting carbs. Other than that Im hoping it goes somewhat smoothly. Thinking I am going to stay with the r1 tail for now, but do have a r6 tail coming with fairings so if it is an easy swap may go that route.

Any other threads where this conversion was done would be much appreciated, as of now KPKE's has been the only one I could find.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by pstamper » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:32 pm

sweet. i like the seat