Need Help With Tank Calculation

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Need Help With Tank Calculation

#31 Post by Smoker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:12 am

Well, I've been waiting for a reply from Sheepey. A place recommended by the titanium supplier, and reasonably close to my home. They do high quality custom titanium exhausts and turbo plumbing.

I've waited for weeks, but looks like they aren't interested. No answer at all to my request.

Sent an email just now to a company that specializes in cutting titanium tubing. Too bad they're located on the other side of the country, but that's okay. Just concerned that my job will be too small to interest them. Hopefully, I'll have an answer soon.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#32 Post by silverstrom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Have you considered having an artisan do it Pete? Rather than a fabrication shop.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#33 Post by Smoker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:08 pm

silverstrom wrote:Have you considered having an artisan do it Pete? Rather than a fabrication shop.
I'm not sure what you mean. Like a person that does metal sculpture?

That would be fine. Actually, I don't really care who does the cutting, as long as they're able to do it right.

From what I've been told, it's not easy to cut titanium tubing this thin, and with this OD. Requires the proper equipment and some experience.

I often back myself into a corner by trying to be creative, or do something I haven't seen before. Really, I'm just trying to celebrate life and live up to whatever potential I have. Always trying to push my limits, and often go a little to far. Usually, I can get by with a little help from my friends. No way could I do all this stuff without you guys. Really can't thank you all enough for the support and friendship.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#34 Post by silverstrom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:56 pm

Yes, exactly; an artist. If what you are after is precision perhaps commissioning an artist is the way to go. You'll pay more, but get what you pay for and know exactly where you stand. Your request is certainly unique and I'm confident that once you explain the situation you'll be able to find what you seek.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#35 Post by Smoker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:25 pm

Have to go for another blood test today.

My last PSA was less than 0.1. Should have been 0.0 if they got all the cancer. If it goes to 0.2 the cancer has grown back enough that I need radiation. I haven't even healed from the surgery yet.

Reality kicked in again this morning, and I'm shaking in my moto boots.

Hoping for some more time, but I'd better forget about the bikes until I get this project on track.

I'll make a bigger effort to find someone to cut the pieces, but I may have to bail out, or figure out a plan B.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#36 Post by Smoker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:29 am

No reply yet from anyone about cutting the tubing.

Was thinking if I were going to cut it, I'd probably fill it up with urethane pour foam to increase stability and reduce vibration. Could dissolve the foam out after cutting.

All good with my tests. Good for another 8 weeks. Back to work on the projects.

Jeff B

#37 Post by Jeff B » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:19 pm

The best way would be wire EDM, but its probably the most expensive too. Another thought would be to find a piece of steel that just slides through the tube so you can clamp it tight. Then an abrasive chop saw would probably work.

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#38 Post by RuZty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:40 pm

In your link to colouring titanium pipe in your other post I noticed he was unpacking precut titanium tube pie cuts, the name on the packaging was Ticon, maybe give them a call. https://www.ticonindustries.com/collections/pie-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I sincerely hope that you complete this the way you want and then put it on a shelf and get to look at it for a very long time.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#39 Post by Smoker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:00 pm

RuZty wrote:In your link to colouring titanium pipe in your other post I noticed he was unpacking precut titanium tube pie cuts, the name on the packaging was Ticon, maybe give them a call. https://www.ticonindustries.com/collections/pie-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I sincerely hope that you complete this the way you want and then put it on a shelf and get to look at it for a very long time.
Thanks for that sentiment. That's exactly what I'm hoping for, too. :smt023

I also thought about a metal insert, or maybe even wood. But, the insert would have to be a precision fit, and I've got over 6 feet of tubing. Also, the ends of the tubing are somewhat deformed, adding another issue to deal with.

Urethane pour foam is available in different densities. I could use the most solid type. Pretty sure it dissolves with acetone, or something similar. Is the foam idea not good?

Only thing I can think of is, there can be air pockets, but I've used pour foam several times, without issues like that.

I did check with TiCon and other places. I found precut pieces, but not in the size I want.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#40 Post by Smoker » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:02 am

I think the foam idea is not good. :sad:

Pretty sure the pour foam is impervious to solvents when hardened.

I think styrofoam pieces are used as a dissolving buck.

Jeff B

#41 Post by Jeff B » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:30 pm

[quote="Smoker]I also thought about a metal insert, or maybe even wood. But, the insert would have to be a precision fit, and I've got over 6 feet of tubing. Also, the ends of the tubing are somewhat deformed, adding another issue to deal with.
.[/quote]

I don't think it would need to be a precision fit as the tubing will flex a little. You just don't want to have so much clearance that you bend the pipe. You could use a die grinder to cut one of the deformed ends off. It wouldn't be a pretty cut. You could also wrap a piece of steel with shim stock to get a good fit. Cut right through the hole works with and abrasive chop saw. A band saw may work but you'd want a very fine tooth blade.

MK

#42 Post by MK » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:44 pm

What's wrong with laser cutting?
Google spitted out this one in California:
http://www.serralaser.com/3d_laser_cutting.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess they could even do fancy cutlines (not straight as usual) and laser engraving things like pics or text.
If you go for straight cuts (which I would recommend), don't worry about deformation. I'll grind the mating surfaces to be perfectly flat anyway right before welding.
From the welding point of view please do not contaminate the inside with any foam filling. It'll be a PITA to weld!

BTW: I cut the test piece with holding the tube in a simple vice and a 230 mm cutting wheel in my grinder. Well the sparks were fun but no other issues.
Bye
Martin

Jeff B

#43 Post by Jeff B » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:14 pm

I didn't know that they could laser cut tubing. Your link has tubing listed.

MK

#44 Post by MK » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:58 pm

The important detail is the 3D in front of the laser cutting ;-)
That's for example how you'd cut frame tubes to perfectly match each other.
Bye
Martin

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#45 Post by Smoker » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:32 pm

Email sent to Serra Laser.

Thanks, Martin.

I'm determined to make this project happen! :partyman: