Paint touch up?

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

Paint touch up?

#1 Post by BigGuy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi all, Happy Easter if your inclined to these things, if not than a happy Sunday! Jusy wondering if any of you have had any experience with touching up chips/gouges it the factory white paint on the tank? Is there a product I can buy that is similar to the chip repair paint pens you find for automotive type applications?

Thanks
Shake "N" Bake!

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Paint touch up?

#2 Post by silverstrom » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Use the paint codes below Shawn. I had NOS parts scanned to get the codes. They are a perfect match for Clean White and Chappy Red. I've used them on 3 sets of TZR bodywork, RZ500 bodywork and several TZR/RZ500 gas tanks. Any paint supplier can mix it for you. NAPA is always a good choice. They can mix as much or as little as you want.

You may find them in small touch up bottles where automotive parts are sold. I never looked as it's easer to just open a can.

podman

#3 Post by podman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:45 pm

The white is this touch up kit is spot on, the red less so...purchased a set end of last year.

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colour ... heme=12121" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by silverstrom » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:06 pm

It's spot on it your bike is Silky White and Stormy Red. Canadian RZ500s are not.

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by BigGuy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks John, a big help as always. I'll try to track some down this week.
Shake "N" Bake!

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by BigGuy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Is "Clean White" the same white as your TZR? Just curious? Also in your option how much paint would be needed to do a complete set of new fiberglass bodywork? Two pints?

Thanks John
Shake "N" Bake!

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by silverstrom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:40 pm

It is the same colours Shawn. Clean White and Chappy red for the Canadian TZR and RZ500. I scanned NOS TZR plastic to get the correct codes. It's perfect, at least when NAPA here mixes it. Matrix was used.

If you're painting both sides of all bodywork having 2 pints of white on hand would be my plan. You'd have paint left over, which is a good thing. You won't regret having it available later.

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by BigGuy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:55 pm

silverstrom wrote:It is the same colours Shawn. Clean White and Chappy red for the Canadian TZR and RZ500. I scanned NOS TZR plastic to get the correct codes. It's perfect, at least when NAPA here mixes it. Matrix was used.

If you're painting both sides of all bodywork having 2 pints of white on hand would be my plan. You'd have paint left over, which is a good thing. You won't regret having it available later.

OK, that sounds like the plan. Thanks again sir!
Shake "N" Bake!