Operation: MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE - Florida RZ500 Project (52X)

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

TwoStrokeNut

Re: Operation: MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE - Florida RZ500 Project

#31 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Service E01 - Battery and Battery Box...

To test lights and YPVS functioning, I figured it was best to drop in a new battery. I found the Scorpion YT5AL for a reasonable price of US$36.00 delivered to the house. Normally I try to stick with YUASA brand or similar, but for this little kick-start 500cc, I think it will be fine.

With the routing of the Tommy Crawford top chambers, the pipe runs a little closer to the front on the plastic battery box and it was melted slightly.

I decided to cut a new slightly larger piece of adhesive-backed heat shield to protect the lid better. This is what the local dealer had in stock. The 18 x 18 inch (46 x 46 cm) sheet cost US$29.00 and there will be plenty left over to do other jobs. I did not find a temperature rating on the package nor on their website.

Luckily with the old piece peeling off in its entirety, it made it easy to trace the replacement.

The lid is ready to go back on. Arrow points to the corner that now has a bit more protection.

Before putting a new battery in, I always like to add small pieces of foam to keep from losing the terminal nuts. Something with adhesive is the most convenient and I had a section of pipe insulation handy to cut some pieces from. It just sticks to the battery case behind the nut.

Like my other bikes, this one will get charged one a month or so when being stored so a battery tender cord was added. It comes with an inline fuse. I routed it up forward along the harness and then doubled it back to tuck in above the oil pump cable adjuster. I normally buy these cords in a pack to get a discount and paid US$7.00 each a few years ago.

One thing I did years ago to make charging all the bikes easier is build this spring-rewind cord reel to hang on the ceiling. The appropriate 2-pin connector was spliced on to each end (in this case SAE type). The battery charger is mounted on the ceiling near it and the cord can reach any bike in the garage.

Here are some final pictures with the box lid back on and wires tucked in. With power back in the system, I was able to check the start-up sequence of the YPVS servo-motor. It cycled as expected with the ignition switched on - 3 distinct strokes the first time it is switched on, and 2 strokes once repowered (engine not started).
(Edit: Just realized there is a dedicated tab to hang the main fuse on the front of the battery box cover and that is now being used; contrary to the picture below)

E01 Total Cost: US$72.00 (Battery, cable, and heat shield material)
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Project bike links: NS400R - TRIPLE THREAT // RZ500 - MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE // RZ350 - REVIVAL
'72 H1-500/'75 H1-500/'85 RZ350/'85 NS400R/'01 DR650/'07 FJR1300/'18 Tiger 1200

TwoStrokeNut

Re: Operation: MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE - Florida RZ500 Projec

#32 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:08 pm

Service C02 - Exhaust Heat Wrap...

As you may recall, my side panels were getting overheated during rides and I discovered the culprit (I believe) was failing heat wrap on the top chambers. This is what they looked like. Besides being rubbed thin where they contact the bodywork, the wrap is somewhat spread out to cover more area with less material.

A trip to the local auto parts store yielded these two items. Pipe wrap was US$30.00 and Cool Tape was US$18.00 and both looked identical to what was already on there.

Here are the chambers removed from the bike. I started to unravel the wrap from the pipe and discovered the cloth wasn't in bad shape at all and possibly could be reused.

Where the side panel contacts the chambers, I decided to add one extra layer underneath. In this picture, it sort of looked like a snake in the grass who has just had eaten a rodent :).

Here are the pipes all wrapped back up. I reused the old stuff on one chamber, but because I overlapped it much more, I needed to splice it about a 1/3 of the way back. I effectively ended up with 2 full layers everywhere since I overlapped it halfway (1 inch or 25mm) over the prior loop. The other was wrapped with the new roll and that one turned out looking just a bit better.

A quick test fit on the bike. Hopefully she didn't gain too much girth in the mid-section to inhibit sliding the bodywork back on.

C02 Total Cost: US$48.00 (Exhaust heat wrap kit and Cool tape)
Project bike links: NS400R - TRIPLE THREAT // RZ500 - MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE // RZ350 - REVIVAL

TwoStrokeNut

#33 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Service C26 - General Fuel Tank Clean Up...

I was pleasantly surprised when I looked inside the tank to find just a couple very small spots of rust. The bottom exterior of the tank, however, was not to my liking. Paint over-spray on parts is one of my pet peeves, so I had to do something about it.

I know this area is generally not visible, but I it bothered me anyway and I intended to tidy it up. I first wet-sanded the excess paint off to get it smooth. In preparation of painting it, I found a cardboard box that made a perfect cradle to protect the yellow/blue paint during this process.

I had a roll of this Frog Tape and decided to try it. Although the “edge lock” is intended to seal out water-based paint, I figured it would still work if I just wetted it a bit during the final wipe down prior to painting.

I did not want any paint at the sealing surface so I taped off this area and used the fuel tap as a template to cut around.

The tank is shown outside in my EPA-approved paint booth (my back yard :)), ready to be sprayed.

This is right after spraying with a semi-gloss engine enamel. Engine paint generally stands up a bit better to gasoline than the regular stuff.

And here it is with the paint dried to a dull sheen and masking removed.

Then I cleaned up the fuel tap of excess paint. Although it was not leaking, the O-ring was flattened pretty badly so I checked my inventory for a new one. I got lucky (much to my surprise), and the one shown fit the groove nicely.

Here is everything ready to go back in.

More overspray on parts that should not have it - ugh! The front tank bracket had paint all over the rubber parts so that was cleaned off. I am not sure what color the bracket is supposed to be, but since I do not have any matching blue for touchup, I decided to paint it silver to blend in with the frame. My FJR is like that and it looks fine. This is probably a part that will get its paint chipped occasionally so I figured it might make sense to convert to a color that is easy to touch up.

I used the Dupli-Color BCC0338 Radiant Silver Metallic Chrysler Exact-Match Automotive Paint that was suggested in this thread discussion: Original frame paint (link) Thanks goes out to the forum member for the locally found alternative and saving me the trouble of buying about four different cans until I found an acceptable match.

And here are a couple shots of the final results. Again, no one really even sees this area, but I feel much better about it!

I guess it is time to get some fuel lines back on there and give her a drink.

C26 Total Cost: US$7.00 (Paint; tape and O-ring from inventory)
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TwoStrokeNut

#34 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:48 pm

A CLOSER LOOK INSIDE THE ENGINE BORES...

I have wanted a borescope for another job in the shop and one turned up on Amazon for US$40 so I figured I would give it a try. Amazon Link It simply plugs into the USB port on my little netbook computer and will take still pictures or videos of whatever I can get it pointed at. I understand that people were successful with attaching it to their smartphones running Android 3.1 or higher - that would really be convenient. If you look closely, the tiny camera head has LEDs to illuminate those dark areas being probed. I happen to have the camera pointed at the UPC code on the box and have it displayed on the computer screen.

So here is a video of each bore and still pictures moving in a counter-clockwise direction starting at the exhaust port.

FRONT LEFT:
VIDEO LINK

FRONT RIGHT:
VIDEO LINK

REAR LEFT:
VIDEO LINK

REAR RIGHT:
VIDEO LINK

Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwoStrokeNut

#35 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:51 pm

THE SPARK PLUGS...

Just to go along with the photos inside the cylinder bores, here are the matching plugs that were removed.

Front Left:

Front Right:

Rear Left:

Rear right:

bolly
- - - - -
- - - - -

#36 Post by bolly » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:40 pm

hey TSN, pics look a lil dark, maybe shine a light in the exh port and scope thru the sparkplug hole or viceversa?? looks like more light is needed either way.... BTW your video links don't work :(

edit: work if I got to your page then click them from there; https://picasaweb.google.com/1098850467 ... 6467176018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TwoStrokeNut

#37 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 pm

bolly - Thanks for the feedback.

The videos worked directly when selecting the link on my main computer. But when I tried them on another one, I got the following at the Picasa screen:
"An error occurred. Please try again later."
It might be a permission thing and I will check that out. Glad you were able to find another way and thanks for providing the link for others to use temporarily.

Shining a light in the exhaust report is a good idea and I will try that next. And sticking the camera in the exhaust port might work for seeing the cylinder head, but I am not sure if the camera will make the bend to look up the cylinder. I will have to try that as well.
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwoStrokeNut

#38 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:47 pm

Service M06 - Air Cleaner ...

Having the tank off presented a great time to take a look at the air cleaner element. Mine was starting to decay.

A new one was available (p/n 47X-14451-00) so in it went. It came pre-oiled so I just popped it in.

Since this bike will probably never be returned to stock condition, it is likely this whole air cleaner system will get replaced with a lighter, better breathing unit someday.

M06 Total Cost: US$X17.00 (Air cleaner element)
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwoStrokeNut

#39 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Service C28 - Painting the Tail Section...

The other pieces of bodywork were painted black on the backside, but since the underside of the tailpiece really can't be seen when installed, I guess no one bothered doing it. I decided to do it before adding the heat shield material for a nice clean look (in case someone takes a peek under there).

Here's how it looked when I started - pretty nasty.

All taped off ready for paint.

It gets its first coat of black paint.

All finished and ready for heat shields to be applied.

C28 Total Cost: US$0.00 (Paint supplies from inventory)

TwoStrokeNut

#40 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:40 pm

Service C27 - Add Quick-Disconnect Fuel Fittings...

I was extremely lucky. I had just siphoned 3 gallons out of the fuel tank and drained the remainder through one carb. I lifted up the tank to disconnect the lines when I noticed a big crack in the hose right where it connected to the tank. These fuel lines had a lived a long life, but it was time for them to go. Here is a shot of a similar crack in the hose that I pulled off the fuel petcock. That would have flooded the garage floor, wouldn't it?

The hoses are long enough to allow the fuel tank to pivot back some, but I decided to make servicing a bit easier by adding some quick-disconnect fittings to the fuel line, allowing it to be removed completely when needed.

The previous owner had installed some small inline filters already and I decided to keep these downstream from the fittings to guard against any dirt that might find its way into the new fittings when disconnected.

Shown below are the fittings as purchased. Cost was US$20 each and I paid a little extra to get the type with cut-off valves on each half of the fittings. At first, I thought it would be nice to rig up a small auxiliary tank to run the bike on during servicing, but it does not appear there is much to access under there (at least while running) so it probably is not worth the effort. Other bikes I own benefit from having the tank completely out of the way during carburetor synchs and such, but I do not see a need on this one. Is there a reason to (calling on the experts)?

I have a pretty good selection of clamps and hose, so that was not a problem. But I wasn't real happy with room that the straight filters occupied and I ran across some 90 degree filters that I decide to swap with the ones that were fitted originally.

I used 5/16" (8mm) hose to route down to the petcock. Here is the short pieces on the bottom of the tank.

Here is the mating connectors, filters, and somewhat uncooperative hoses (that had to be held down) coming from the petcock. I prefer to use the spring clamps when possible to maintain tension as the hose compresses, but I used the screw style clamps at the filters because the 8mm hose was just a bit oversized for the filter connections and needed to be somewhat persuaded for a tight fit.

Here is a shot with the petcock lines connected to the tank lines. These fitting are a joy to connect together or pop apart. The springs in them make their disconnection an instant affair so that just a trace of fuel is lost.

Here is a view with the tank down in normal position sneaking a view at the fuel line in its close quarters under there.

I think a heat shield is needed for all of these parts to protect them from the rear cylinder bank (stock lines had a sleeve). If nothing else, it will lengthen the life of the plastic parts. Do you think I really need it?

C27 Total Cost: US$54.00 (2X Fittings; 2X filters, hose clamps from inventory)
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwoStrokeNut

#41 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 pm

THE CORRECT POSITION FOR THE FUEL TANK RUBBERS...

Well, the "correct position" if you go by the pictures in the service manual anyway. While working with the fuel tank, I noticed it wasn’t supported very well and decided a little investigation was needed.

Here is where the support blocks where located when I bought the bike:

I found this image in the service manual that shows them pretty clearly:

It turns out there is supposed to be 6 of them so I bought 2 more to supplement the 4 I had.

C26 Extra Cost: US$10.00 (Tank Blocks - 2X)

TwoStrokeNut

#42 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Service C05 - Install Throttle Return Cable and Lube/Adjust ...

First of all, thanks goes out to forum member Rick Lance for supplying the throttle return cable. I'm sure the bike will be just a bit safer with it in place if a throttle ever decided to stick.

As with most things on this old bike, if I am repairing something, I like to take it all apart for a good cleaning and lubing.

I know there is really not much tension on this cable under normal operating conditions, but I decided to use a tube to enlarge the ferrule that engages the throttle tube. It was shaved down quite a bit from what you see here so it would fit through the cable hole in the throttle housing.

I noticed the pull cable was missing the little retainer that holds it in the housing so I made one.

I just installed the return cable in the same path as the pull cable. There did not look to be really any other choice. Here it is installed.

The last thing to do was lube the cables and get them adjusted properly. The pull cables are opening the carbs in a synchronized fashion and the return cables have just a touch of slack in them at all times. Hopefully I will never need to use them, but it is good to know those return cables are there.

C05 Total Cost: US$60.00 (Cable; Aluminum sheet, Lube from inventory)
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#43 Post by rd84 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:36 am

Hi,

Some really useful points in this thread - thanks for sharing and its given me some good ideas on pragmatic mods for my project bike as well.

Cheers
Paul

TwoStrokeNut

#44 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks Paul. Glad to hear its helping in some way. As you can see from all the incomplete items on my Service List on page 2, I'm just get started here so stop back and check out the updates in the future. Just don't expect lightning fast progress though - I have a few other projects taking most of my time lately.

Good luck with your project bike.

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#45 Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:26 am

A great thread!
And I love the endoscope camera to look into the pots, gotta get one for the toolbox!
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!