Streetfighter RZV Roller

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Streetfighter RZV Roller

#301 Post by Smoker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:18 pm

Titanium motor mount bolts.

The 2 long ones were made from scratch using titanium rod.

Last edited by Smoker on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#302 Post by BigGuy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Those bolts look great, did they turn them down of full diameter stock and then cut the hex and flange on the end?
Shake "N" Bake!

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#303 Post by Smoker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:43 pm

BigGuy wrote:Those bolts look great, did they turn them down of full diameter stock and then cut the hex and flange on the end?
Yep, from 17mm OD grade 5 titanium rod. Was able to buy the 2 shorter bolts, and made the 2 longer ones to match.

Ron57
- - - - -
- - - - -

#304 Post by Ron57 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:12 am

Hi Pete, Those bolts look great, you must have a good engineering shop to do that type of work.
The Bolts you bought was that from a local place. What would be the weight saving from the standard steel bolts.
Cheers Ron.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#305 Post by Smoker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:19 am

Ron57 wrote:Hi Pete, Those bolts look great, you must have a good engineering shop to do that type of work.
The Bolts you bought was that from a local place. What would be the weight saving from the standard steel bolts.
Cheers Ron.
All bolts purchased from regular internet sources like Pro-Bolt and ebay.

The machine shop is local. They do good work, but are limited by old machines.

The titanium bolts are about 40% lighter than steel. For bolts this size, that's a fair amount. I was going to weigh them, but the ends may still get cut down some more. They'll also be polished and gold titanium nitrided.

Ron57
- - - - -
- - - - -

#306 Post by Ron57 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:46 am

Thanks for the info Pete.
Cheers Ron.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#307 Post by Smoker » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:51 pm

Haven't found a titanium R-clip for the fuel tank clevis pin, so I ordered an OEM clip for now. Looks like stainless in the photo. Need it to determine the hole size for the titanium clevis pin.

Placed an order from boats.net yesterday, and supposed to ship Thursday. I called today and they let me add the R-clip to the existing order (shipping would have been over 4x the cost of the clip). Boats.net has always been good with my orders.

Already received the titanium rod to cut the clevis pin.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#308 Post by Smoker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:30 pm

kpke wrote:Send Paul (tacky1) a PM for a quality CF supplier of the R6 parts. I still need to order chain guard and front fender. I bought the hugger from Paul and it's a fantastic part. Much better fit and finish than the CF parts on my R1.
Will do. Thanks!

Anyone else have suggestions/recommendations for carbon fiber parts?

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#309 Post by Smoker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:46 pm

Not really happy about posting this. I may have screwed up with the tank cover project. Not sure, yet.

Well, you can see I've been busy, but I didn't realize how thin the tank bottom is, until most of it was cut out. No way will the tank brackets will hold as I planned. Maybe, if I left more of the tank bottom intact.

Not giving up, yet - but it's not looking good. Might be able to brace up the mounts, but it's sketchy due to the rusted condition of the tank.

If I can't make it happen, I'll give back the tank cover.

Last edited by Smoker on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#310 Post by Smoker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:59 pm

Placed an order for parts from boats.net on 2/26. Website listed all "Parts in Stock".

Then, on 2/28, received this: 5EB-24181-00-00 DAMPER, LOCATING 1 (Yamaha Motor) $4.29
Available Tuesday, March 27. (Delaying 1 month.)

Then, today received this: 5EB-24181-00-00 DAMPER, LOCATING 1 (Yamaha Motor) $4.29
Available Monday, May 07, 2018. (Delaying 2 1/2 months).
:smt073

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#311 Post by Smoker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:15 pm

So, the OEM rubber dampers for the fuel tank mounts are NLA. The ones I ordered are the updated replacement part number.

Got a message from above that the replacement part numbers are shit and don't fit correctly. I compared photos of the two parts, and sure enough, the parts are different.

Part # 47x-24181-00

So, this sucks. Especially after making those custom aluminum parts to fit the original dampers. Also, I ordered 2, plus the other 2 rubber dampers that fit over these. 4 wasted parts. Have to get some used OEM dampers.

Glad to have friends that know whats up! :smt045
Last edited by Smoker on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#312 Post by silverstrom » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:05 pm

There is the correct 47X part on eBay Pete. Used, but looks very good. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-RZ500-F ... E1&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#313 Post by Smoker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:41 pm

I was going to use this, but now- I think I should send it back.

Bought a itanium front axle spindle bolt from Jaybeebits in UK. Here's the photo from the advert:

A few days ago, I recrived the bolt. Looks like a reject with poor maching. Either they sent me a bad one, or they all look like this. If they all look like this, they shouldn't use a photo of a perfect one.

If I return it, I'll eat return shipping to the UK. But, I think they should have let me know before shipping. I was going to keep it, but now, it's bugging me again.

Has identical gouges on all 6 sides.

Hard to get with a camera, but when viewed from the front, all 6 gouges are visible. If I was building a race bike, maybe it wouldn't matter, but I'm trying to make this custom bike look good.

Too picky? :smt102
Last edited by Smoker on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

#314 Post by Vin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:45 pm

not too picky at all in my opinion

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#315 Post by Smoker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Vin wrote:not too picky at all in my opinion
Thanks, Vin. Shipping it back tomorrow.

Hope I can find another place to buy the same style titanium bolt. ProBolt and other suppliers I've seen have solid heads. I prefer the dished head with the speed hole which matches my custom axle.

Took care of the delayed order from boats.net. They didn't answer my e-mail, so I called on the phone. Great customer service on the phone. Two good experiences with them changing my orders.

Pretty sure I will have all new/NOS rubber dampers for the tank mounts. (With a little help from my friends.) Also ordered nice hardware.

The drawings for the kickstand bracket are coming along. Not much more to do, but I keep trying different things and making small changes/corrections. Took me less than 10 minutes to draw up the custom clevis, but this part is a beast!

Got some more raw titanium to cut brake caliper spacers. There are aftermarket titanium caliper spacers available, but not in this new size. Dammit. These calipers are a new style with no pad retaining pins.