Streetfighter RZV Roller

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Streetfighter RZV Roller

#211 Post by Smoker » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Smoker wrote:Made an error when I measured for the relay arms.

I measured the ID of the pocket on the OEM arms (20mm) and used that number. I forgot the new titanium collars are also exactly 20mm.
Another sad day in the Smoker garage.

20mm is the O.D. of the relay arm small bore. Messed that up and fixed it.

Realized today, I messed up the I.D., as well. Asked for a 10mm hole. The bolt O.D. is 10mm.

The bolt slides perfectly through the collar, made by the local machine shop, so I assume they have the perfect size reamer. Will find out on Monday.

Learned a lot by making these relay arms.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#212 Post by Smoker » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:32 pm

This photo is similar to the last, except you'll notice the 10mm titanium bolt now fits properly.

It was just a little tight, even after slightly opening up the relay arm holes. Scrubbed the slightest bit off the bolt for a perfect fit. Also chopped the bolt to the correct length and put a bevel on the bolt end.

Will test fit the rear suspension parts, and start thinking about a one-off swingarm to replace the R6 modified arm.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#213 Post by Smoker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:42 am

Okay, looking at this project again.

Fitted titanium parts and the link.

Last edited by Smoker on Sun May 20, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#214 Post by BigGuy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 am

That's some fine lookin hardware sir.
Shake "N" Bake!

Ron57
- - - - -
- - - - -

#215 Post by Ron57 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:22 am

That's a great job machining those brackets up Smoker look superb.
Cheers Ron.

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#216 Post by RuZty » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Very nice! All fits good?

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#217 Post by Smoker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:32 am

Thanks!

Still needs polishing, gold titanium nitride coating and roller bearings pressed.

Parts are fitting well so far, although like other RZs/RZVs- the swingarm pivot bolt bores are not aligned properly.

Spent my free time today trying to find titanium hardware for the removable down tube on the frame and for mounting the shock. No luck, yet.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#218 Post by Smoker » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:11 am

Other parts fitting well.

Need more titanium hardware and aluminum washers.

Then need to machine the hardware to size.

Was planning on polishing the aluminum frame, but now thinking it needs to be black.
Last edited by Smoker on Sun May 20, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#219 Post by Smoker » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:06 pm

Well, got some medical issues and may not be able to do much more with this bike. But, I'm going to continue on, for now, and maybe something good will happen.

The roller is coming together, and the plan was to transfer the engine and necessary parts from my complete RZ500. Wanted custom tank, tail, and sides, otherwise naked.

Didn't plan well, and now thinking a kick-only engine isn't the way for me. An electric start engine would be best.

Would prefer a two-stroke, of course, but not sure what engine would work. Willing to go four-stroke at this point, but have no clue about what would be appropriate.

Needs to have more HP than the RZ500 engine, for sure, so 90+ HP.

A V-due or Suter engine would be sweet, but I want to be realistic and practical.

Any thoughts from you guys is appreciated.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#220 Post by pstamper » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:55 pm

I have 90+ with Ricks carbs and an old Zeel controller. It is more than I can ride and will outpace Aprillia RSV4, BMW RRs, and can not count the Ducatis with good riders. Talk to Rick because he and Mr.Toomey were trying to figure out an electric start. Sorry to hear about health issues. I think I will still be kicking like a newborn on my way out.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#221 Post by Smoker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:10 am

Looking at the FZ09 engine (100hp).

Maybe an FZ07 twin. (Not 90 hp, but close to OEM500 hp, plus way lighter weight)

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#222 Post by Smoker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:16 pm

A couple of interesting ideas:

2smoke

#223 Post by 2smoke » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:34 pm

I understand your thought process of easily picking up a strong 4 stroke engine.
And the need of an electric starter.
But I cant see engineering, machining, welding that beautiful RZV frame to house a 4 stroke lump.
"Its gotta smoke or its got no hope."
Colin

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#224 Post by Smoker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:57 am

Well, that's the plan for now. Thinking about buying a California plated SXV. If you know about my custom motard project, you will understand the insanity/stupidity of this decision- but, I never knew I would need this engine. Another option would be to spend even bigger bucks on a plated Super Duke. Even a Duke 650 engine would do, but I think the V-engine is more appropriate. I'm aware, this bike will never be as good as the bike I break, but building a fun project is the point.

Backup plan is to break my OEM RZ500 and use that engine. I understand that these modern engines are quite inappropriate and maybe not possible to transplant successfully into the full- cradle frame. But, it's fun to take a look, and any suggestions you guys have are welcomed.

Another problem with using the RZ500 engine is the upper pipes. If the pipes are straight- the tail is way too long. If the pipes are curved/OEM- the tail is way to wide and still long for my current taste.

Turns out, I may not need my knee much longer. We'll see. Most of all, it would be good to make a rider, soon- and I'll need help. Hope it's not just another modified RZ. Looking for something a little more unique.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#225 Post by silverstrom » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:29 am

What about using an NT650 Hawk GT chassis? Terrific frame and Elf single sided swing arm.

Not needing your knee sounds very ominous. I hope everything is ok smoker.