"TZV500R" Retro Rebuild;

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: "TZV500R" Retro Rebuild;

#106 Post by rd84 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:55 am

Nice work ! - looks really good.

Cheers
Paul

JungleJustice

#107 Post by JungleJustice » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks - yeah - it's a-LOT of work! So many little fiddle-shit details...

On the front for example, we started out sleeve-bumping up the Yamaha axle-bolt, so that I could just keep the bearings inside of the front wire wheel all Ducati and use the Duc wheel spacers! Problem was then that you end up bringing up the axle diameter to pretty close to shoulder diameter of the Yamaha bolt. (Now there's not much meat there on that shoulder of the axle bolt to push against the Duc outer wheel spacers and to compress the inner races of the Duc bearings...!)

Back we went to the stock Yamaha axle size and custom-sourced wheel bearings with the Duc wheel OD and the Yamaha axle bolt ID. Well, guess what? The Duc's inner spacer / bush that rides inside of every bloody bike wheel (and that prevents one from pushing the center races right into the interior cavity of the wheels when you tighten the axle), doesn't fit the damn Yamaha axle (it has a larger diameter of the Ducati, remember...?) It'll go out of round in its placement and flop around / wobble inside of the wheel (around the smaller Yamaha axle) as soon as it starts spinning - I'm sure!

So, now we had to bang the Yamaha inner spacer out and use it inside the Ducati wheel - except that it is shorter (narrower) than the effen Ducati rim's hub!!!! Pressure on the outer bushes when you screw the Yamaha axle bolt into the other fork leg and you try to compresses the inner races, would STILL push those inner races right out of the bearing and into the inner wheel cavity without the proper length of inner race support inside of the freakin' wheel!!! So, now that inner spacer had to be redone! It just never stops!

Anyway, done with that! On to the brakes.

Last edited by JungleJustice on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anything with an engine in it...

JungleJustice

#108 Post by JungleJustice » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:12 pm

So, even with spacing the rotors out by 4mm (the maximum before the rotor centers run right off of the bloody hub of the Ducati wire wheels), the Blue R1 calipers were STILL hitting the spokes on the back sets of pistons. Fine - I'll use them for the 3MA GP replica build...)

So, I HAD to go with the lower profile 4-piston gold Brembos from the 998. With 4mm spacing behind each disc, the backs of the gold Brembos clear the spokes nicely, but that was the maximum to stilol stay on the hub, and that left about 4mm worth space for a bracket between the caliper and the mounting flats on the Yamaha fork-leg mounting ears!) All on the same plane on the inside of the fork leg. On those forks, the outside is shaped and not flat for mounting, so we had to stay inside!

After making an initial caliper hanger template from some yellow "Corex" plastic that happens to be close to seemingly the right thickness, I made the version 2.0 mock-ups out of some "DiBond" - it's a plastic core with two thin sheets of aluminium (used in the large format printing industry.)

Got the angles and everything for the calipers pretty close. Now the entire front-end is over at a machine-shop getting proper brackets made. I thought initially that we would need to do plate steel (since 4mm is pretty thin for a front caliper hanger), but the machinist suggested 7075 T7 aircraft quality aluminium that is very strong (same tensile strength as many steel materials), but still very light and relatively easy to mill. Expensive, but I need very little of it. He'll also make me the two outer wheel spacers.

JungleJustice

#109 Post by JungleJustice » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Front is done! Ended up being a bit closer to a 5MM spacing for the caliper bracket - 5MM IN - from the mounting ears on the inside of the forks... (The discs still have the +4MM spacers behind them on the wheel hub left and right, and that's maxed out before the disc carrier centers pop off of the hub shoulders...!)

We're good though. The discs are both solid in the middle of the caliper seams. I'm reinstalling the forks tonight, bleed the brakes and then I can go and ride it and see! Wish me luck! First time out, wire wheels, new brakes, new calipers, new hangers, new discs, master to caliper / bore-size changes - anything can happen!

And yes, I still need to size proper hardware for the calipers to brackets, brackets to forks and for the rear disc...

Last edited by JungleJustice on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JungleJustice

#110 Post by JungleJustice » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:02 pm

Back in business... Next stop - TZR750a bodywork, engine rebuild, custom pipes and then all of the mock-up stage / washer-spaced shit fabricated properly...!

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#111 Post by RC45 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:34 am

Any further progress to report?

:)
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
OW69 Daytona 200 Replica - 784cc Monster