RZ for local sale

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: RZ for local sale

#16 Post by pstamper » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:45 pm

He had a bunch of junk that he thinks is gold. The RZ was worth about 5k with all the extra bodywork. And that depended if the attic temperatures did not make them brittle.

troublintx

#17 Post by troublintx » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:53 pm

no all is in good shape

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#18 Post by pstamper » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:24 pm

Enjoy the bike and there is plenty of good people here to help.

I went there with the intention to buy the YSR 50 while playing dumb on what the RZ 500 even was. When he gave me the cost of the YSR I knew he trying to build all his stuff up like it was gold. The YSR was not even stock. I looked at the RZ and saw how rough it was with the white paint, nice expansion chambers while rusted, and all the other wear and tear from sitting for years of neglect. I had no interest. He started in about a guy from Europe that was going to buy it and I better get it while I could. It was only worth 4K to 5K with the new body work that he supposedly had. Even then I was concerned that the bodywork would be brittle from sitting in a hot Houston attic for years. Then there was the RD that was a pile of rust in the back corner of the garage that was scrap. Even had a FZR front end that had pitted all over the forks that was junk to me also.

Maybe it is me getting older, but I think it is that I have personally assembled two RZs from bare frames, wheel bearings, seals, suspension, carb work, adapting parts, finding parts, and that does not even include engine work, or oh my god a transmission. It is a lot of time to keep one running to where they are fun to ride. And do not let one set up, especially with gas in it. There are a lot of nice RZs out there that are valuable to the right person. A guy riding an R6 would laugh at me if I told him I wanted 12K for my race bike. He can buy a used R6 that will blow the doors of an RZ for a third the cost and start it with a button.

Our bikes are getting rare and I feel they are worth a higher value for what you are getting compared to say a Kawasaki H1. It is a small group of us that even know what the bike is and even a smaller group that still have the passion and knowledge to enjoy them for what they are. Thank goodness for people like Rick Lance and Bill Wilson that are still helping us with engine service and answering our late night calls after half a bottle of wine when one cylinder will not fire.

Enough ranting. love my bikes and would like an RG as long as my body holds up. Unfortunately new shop comes first. By the way, looking forward to dicing it up with a bunch of BMW RR1000s at the end of the month at Circuit Of The Americas a week after Formula 1 races there. Should be a really sticky track with all the rubber that will be put down. Hoping 30 bikes in a group compared to 60. Let the fun begin!!!!!

borofc

#19 Post by borofc » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:20 pm

Was the sellers name Tom?

two-stroke-brit

#20 Post by two-stroke-brit » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:28 pm

borofc wrote:Was the sellers name Tom?
yes mate that's the guy.
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !!

borofc

#21 Post by borofc » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:54 pm

two-stroke-brit wrote:
borofc wrote:Was the sellers name Tom?
yes mate that's the guy.
I offered him $6.5K before I even went to see him from his original Craigslist photos, he came back at $7K. I asked him for more photo's and wanted to know if it was a runner plus would he be around at the weekend.............his response was......."Yes I am".........no photo's no details....RED FLAG!

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#22 Post by pstamper » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:59 pm

and the question nobody has asked. How much did the bike cost with parts? And let us be honest.