Video first ride little sister TZ 250 private track day.

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

rz500guytexas

Video first ride little sister TZ 250 private track day.

#1 Post by rz500guytexas » Wed May 13, 2020 9:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGXYq8nDZ6Y

Finally had the 250 going after a few small issues with teething problems. Had chance do do private day with Kris Lillegard who rides in the MOTO AMERICA TWINS CUP. Was well worth his instruction. He rode in the Aprillia Cup series when in Italy durin his military service. Had a cir-clip issue on shift shaft then a needle bearing failure on the balancer shaft. With all that has been going on was not truly motivated to complete. Running 14/38 gearing currently. New Pirelli 160 rear tire and take off 120 front from my 500. Front suspension was service but looked done recently. Rear shock i left alone for now. Rebuilt all brake calipers and masters. Ed Toomey did engine and service crank. I sourced new second crank,cylinders, and piston set. Tranny was plated and installed a ceramic bearing shift cam thing. Few warm ups at shop and tried to do private day a few months ago till i had the cir-clip problem. Was totally my fault. Need to install linkage on the shifter and convert to normal pattern. I down shifted twice in the same section and not fun leaned over accelerating. Did one session up to 9k and to feel everything out then ran it for what it is.

The bike is everything people said it would be. Once shifter and seat are sorted will be more relaxing to ride. Seat is too flat and wide. Shifter is what it is. Think I located an adjustable rear set kit that will work. Most likely only do shift side. The bike starts right up when warm and a little squirt of fuel in carbs when cold. The brakes are incredible will take some learning. Handling is like on rails. I could not get turn in correct all day because of instant response. Everything needs moved later. The bike rode extremely harsh so i will set up the sag when I have time. The rear seemed stiff and front was great. Set it in a corner and just enjoy. Any input and the bike goes so need to become smoother on movement and minimize them also. I am installing a steering damper that should help with the twitchy feel. it should calm my minor inputs at the bars. Acceleration is another thing all together. Had a Pannigale V4 come up on me exiting a high speed corner and he said all of a sudden I was gone and decided to wait on the pass. I feels as if it accelerates harder than the 500. I over revved it a bit but I will get use to engine sound. All in all was happy to sell my street 500 to purchase this machine.

Best part was for first ride I was only 2 second off my best time on the RZ500. Will get the 500 video up also and will work on a split screen of the two together.If anyone want to tell me how I will be very thankful. All comment are welcome. Hope you enjoyed video and everyone let us stay safe and get though this virus together.

podman

Re: Video first ride little sister TZ 250 private track day.

#2 Post by podman » Thu May 14, 2020 3:59 pm

Even from the video, if "looks" like everything a bespoke older 2T race bike would be to ride, harsh and at times awkward..but huge fun with it.

Keep us updated with your progress

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by lost1750GTV » Thu May 14, 2020 4:25 pm

that's great, glad you are enjoying.
I think I took my 1st tz out once with the "backwards" shifting, made a little linkage to solve that problem. don't want to have to think about that stuff.
"instant response" yup! my 1st (tz700a chassis) was that way coming from street bikes, the second was that way coming from the 1st, but more so.
"everything needs moved later".
surprised you didn't attend to the sag, but between that and the shifter and a bit more acclimation time ....

looks like you are getting along very well together.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by lost1750GTV » Fri May 15, 2020 10:55 am

" I feels as if it accelerates harder than the 500.'
a test of a very good one, 10.9 1/4 mile
https://www.cycleworld.com/sport-rider/dominator/

and a video of a well ridden earlier model with a very good 500 for comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEkLsm3Z3A

rz500guytexas

#5 Post by rz500guytexas » Fri May 15, 2020 10:59 am

The hard tail kept me timid. It slid a bit in one corner but nothing scary. Once I get the steering damper a lot of issues will go away. It really does accelerate. Brakes will take time to get use too. I will get the sag numbers where they need to be and then I will trust it. Time wise i did a best of 1:57 on the 500 and best on the TZ was 1:59 so a bit of seat time 5 seconds should not be hard to drop. I am really happy I invested in the bike. Have set of engine spares so should be good for a while.

If I have not said, have a track day at Laquna Seca on my 66th birthday, July 3. Moto America is there the next week. I hope thing get opened back up safely and it happens. Both bikes will go. Everyone stay safe out there and let us help each other get through this virus.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by lost1750GTV » Fri May 15, 2020 12:06 pm

66!?!
wow, a touch older than me, but the only track I'm going to now is my backyard kiddie-cross, not quite "the ranch" but entertaining with a beta 200rr.
your commitment is commendable, I lack that now, too bad because there is more cash than I had then, and I like to think I've still got the cajones. but you need all three to play that game effectively.
suspension set up is pretty important, especially when the back end is lifting. i'd suggest getting very comfortable with the heavy braking before moving your markers up - nice to have a little room if you want to ease off a bit.
laguna!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XS9Lq9a9wI