CDI unit compatibility - RZ to RZV

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

GaryMJ

CDI unit compatibility - RZ to RZV

#1 Post by GaryMJ » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:52 am

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a RZ500 which is a "barn find", needs to be fully rebuilt and restored.

In checking the bike I noticed the CDI has been repaired/modified at some stage, and the original owner suggested it may be faulty. I found a site that sells new units in Japan, but made for the RZV500-47X-50. Mine is an Australian import - 53G.

Will this unit likely be compatible with my model. I realise there are differences between the RZ500 and RZV500, but does it apply to the CDI unit?

Thanks for any advice or opinions... Gary

Paulrs

Re: CDI unit compatibility - RZ to RZV

#2 Post by Paulrs » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:54 am

Hi Gary, welcome to the world of the V4.

Just checking it is the CDI we are talking about as I have never heard about them being repaired (hard to get in to do a repair). The power valve controller on the other hand is often repaired/modified.

I am still running with standard electronics, but should I need to replace it, solutions from Zeeltronic seem to be one of the favourites. Particularly as they can supply a modern replacement for the CDI and Power Valve controller, getting rid of all the old electronics in one hit.

Where are you located?

Paul

GaryMJ

#3 Post by GaryMJ » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:26 pm

Hi Paul, many thanks! I'm in Johannesburg, South Africa. It is the CDI and shows a repair for sure, the front side is filled with a rubberised material, I suspect the previous owner may have had it chipped? but not sure... he had Yamaha performance modify the exhausts, but have no idea what was done, he said it ran better after the mods, but that's as much as I know.

MK

#4 Post by MK » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:57 pm

Electrically they should fit and create a spark.
The German models 1GE and 47X had different advance curves.
Can't tell exactly, if the RZV CDI is affected, but the Japanese model was restricted.

RD350 and 500 stock CDI's are not really supposed to be repaired. It's very tedious to remove the epoxy.
Though I've seen people doing it and for example BDK in the UK offered a modification service.

As already mentioned there is affordable replacement from Zeeltronic.com for CDI and PV controller that adds performance in the 10 HP range. I wouldn't consider stock units unless you're an anorak from the green bolt brigade.

Have a look into the electronic chapter of my RD500 Tuning manual for the necessary settings :
http://www.rd350lc.de/index.php/downloa ... Seiten.pdf
Bye
Martin

GaryMJ

#5 Post by GaryMJ » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:22 am

Thanks Martin, I'll give Zeeltronic a try. I've downloaded your tuning manual, quite a comprehensive guide, thanks so much!

Best, Gary