Head scratcher

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

rdc rob

Head scratcher

#1 Post by rdc rob » Sat May 21, 2022 6:35 am

Hi ,as anyone ever encountered any damage to any components [electrical] after forgeting to turn off the ignition and leaving the bike for a couple of days?
the bike still starts second kick as usual but after warming and knocking off the choke my problems start its as if the fuel as been turned off,all cylinders fail but a slight opening of the choke and its away again I ve been through everything numerous times fuel wise and its not a fuel shortage problem for definate, any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. Rob

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Head scratcher

#2 Post by Speed Freak » Sat May 21, 2022 8:07 am

Dirty orifices of the idle system.
Engine only runs on choke (which gives the engine some extra fuel with closed carbs).
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

rdc rob

#3 Post by rdc rob » Sun May 22, 2022 7:55 am

Thanks for reply mate believe me the carbs have been off more times than I care to admit ,running the engine with difficulty ie playing with the choke and checking the fuel levels in each carb with the engine running [all spot on] the motor will just fade out on all cylinders just as if youve cut off the fuel supply running out of ideas really the bike was fine the week previous to leaving ignition on but suppose this could just be coincidental will keep playing as you do thanks

MK

#4 Post by MK » Sun May 22, 2022 9:39 am

Everything that gets 12V and "could" get damaged is not related to ignition.
Other than that, ask yourself: IF it'd be something electrical - would it "react" to choke?
Answer: No, if it's electric, it would run or not and give a sh... on the choke position.

I'll add my eggs to the basket with "clogged idle jets / air jets".
Bye
Martin

rdc rob

#5 Post by rdc rob » Sun May 22, 2022 11:50 am

Dear MK total agreement with you on that but as I say everything that can be done on fuel side has been done ie dummy fuel tank, stop cock removed fitted just a quick release coupling, carbs stripped blown out, float valve heights spot on,no fuel leaks surprise surprise, all fuel lines good no chance of sucking air believe me Ive checked and double checked everything possible but I cant explain how its good one day but week later we have these problems when nothing as been touched on the bike apart from forgetting to turn off the ign. Thanks for giving it some thought I'll keep plodding on and try to find a reason for it logically it screams fuel but;;;;;;

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by Speed Freak » Sun May 22, 2022 3:39 pm

A while ago i got a call from a friend, a guy from italy wants to join a track day in hungary but he tested his bike just some days before the trip and suprise... it runs only on choke or at 1/3 open throttle.

Told him he should clean the carbs.
Next day I got the message that he cleaned the carbs but with no difference.

Offered that I can have a look to the bike.

What shoul I say? It was the most dirty carb I have ever seen. Wondering how this could happen only 2-3 days after cleaning.
3 of 4 idle jets were completely blocked.

After cleaning everything was fine again and he had a nice track day.

What do I want to say?
Did you completely disassemble the carbs?
Did you check if fluid comes to every position it should go?
I'm checking the small drillings with break cleaner.
I'm trying to find out where all drillings end and then I close all except one inlet and one outlet to the path.
Then I try with break cleaner if this path is open.

Most of the time the idle jets are dirty, the passages itself are open.
Only on modern carbs there are (4) very small drilligs behind the throttle flap, there I had one time that 2 of them where closed with similar outcome as a dirty jet.
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

phildu31

#7 Post by phildu31 » Sun May 22, 2022 3:50 pm

Idle circuit is not clean.
Nothing to add !

rdc rob

#8 Post by rdc rob » Fri May 27, 2022 3:24 pm

Bit the bullet and stripped carbs again went through everything with air line and a strand of wire from a wire brush and carb cleaner etc and bought a nice glass encased washable inline filter just kicked her over and hey presto shes away. Thanks for your time and comments I think sometimes you totally convince yourself it cant be but obviously it can Thanks

MK

#9 Post by MK » Sat May 28, 2022 7:49 am

Just for the protocol: We all told ya...

But glad you fixed it :-)
Bye
Martin