TRACK DAY BEAST

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

rz500guytexas

TRACK DAY BEAST

#1 Post by rz500guytexas » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:35 pm

Here are two videos from this past weekend at Circuit Of The Americas. Basically was last session of the day and shit almost got real, and I mean real bad. Idiot with small bike envy could not stand being passed on his R1M by a 1984 two stroke. The crap went on lap after lap until I finally thought i distanced him by putting several bikes between us. After incident I was totally shook up and was going into pit when the bike ran out of fuel. Made it to pit in. If I made it back, I would of located him, came back with an instructor, and had a discussion with him about the incident. I saw him go by while tring to get into pit and not even a I am sorry wave. There are new owners with the group I ride with and things seem to be changing for the worse. They took time out of the riders meeting to pass out door prizes instead of discussing safety. Old owner hade a rule if you hit another rider you were banned for a year. Here are the videos and with help of a friend he was able to locate him. The story gets even better but would like to start a discussion if anyone wants to about track riding and track day providers. Especially seeing this forum is worldwide.

SLOW MOTION SEGMENT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpN3nhesylY

EDITED VERSION OF EVENTS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl8P0fsJoVA

steveho

Re: TRACK DAY BEAST

#2 Post by steveho » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:49 pm

I feel for you, what a shit-fest! Track days are not racing, so a little respect is required/assumed, and some space given.
I used to go in the ‘fast group’ for track days, not for an ego trip, but because the standard is more consistent. Your grouping seems less managed by the organisers.
Clearly over-cooking every corner on his R1M shows that the offending rider needs to learn his craft and respect others, aka YOU in this case!
Glad you weren’t involved in any accident, but it could have been different.
Keep doing what you do! :cool:

rz500guytexas

#3 Post by rz500guytexas » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:56 pm

Thanks. Track days are not racing and that has been the first thing taught to me. I know how it can change when the helmet goes on but it is not a game. If you are on track with someone you race with at least you are aware of the other persons behavior. I ride in the Double R events that Nate Kern puts together. If that happened at his event on first day he would of been kicked out and no questions asked. One mistake would of been ok but over and over no. They need multi tier bikes like I believe the UK does with a license. Prove you have the knowledge and skill to advance to a bigger bike. Most all track day riders would go faster on a 600 if they would put their ego and budget aside. When anyone can drop $40,000 for a 180 mph rocket something is wrong. I walk around the paddock all the time looking at those bikes in the beginner group. What will they ever learn but to scare themselves or that crashing hurts. Those are the bike that are sold within a year.

UPDATE ON THE OTHER RIDER

All I wanted was an apology. Over and over he did the same crap braking. I emailed the group and they did respond. I think response was accelerated because my instructor talked with them. I posted the slow motion video on his business Facebook page and the local sport group he rides with page. They kept removing it and asked why. I explained and sent the the edited video and said please pass it on. The best part of the whole thing he is an attorney that specializes in motorcycle accidents. He had a nephew that recently was killed in a motorcycle accident and he wrote a eulogy about how if you cause a motorcycle you are the one at fault and should apologize and take the blame. What a hypocrite. We give an update

rz500guytexas

#4 Post by rz500guytexas » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:45 pm

Well if you want to talk the talk here goes. I made a big mistake and accused the wrong person for something they never did. We have located some pictures after further video enlargement of the rider involved and will leave it in the groups hands now. If anyone read my rant I have reached out to all involved and the rider which I accused contacted me. I could not apologize enough. I am glad I never mentioned any names. The way the events went down I jumped to a conclusion that I should have investigated to be 100% positive of my decision. He and I seem to be on the same mindset with track riding. I offered him dinner next time on track and personal instruction on the lines. We should have a chat later tonight so I can apologize again and hope he takes my offer on an event debrief. Again sorry for causing drama.

smokamoto

#5 Post by smokamoto » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:18 am

That is just plain scary, and it went on lap after lap? Are there no instructors out on the track watching for boneheads like this?
So blessed he didn’t take you or others out in a big hurt!!

MK

#6 Post by MK » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:48 am

I do trackdays on a regular base and I happen to have such situations all the time. From both perspectives, BTW.

My strategy is easy: If someone annoys you either way and it can't be resolved by going fast enough, just calm down. Go through pitlane and he'll be half a lap away.
Done that many many times and I lived happily ever after :-)
Bye
Martin

smokamoto

#7 Post by smokamoto » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:55 pm

MK wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:48 am I do trackdays on a regular base and I happen to have such situations all the time. From both perspectives, BTW.

My strategy is easy: If someone annoys you either way and it can't be resolved by going fast enough, just calm down. Go through pitlane and he'll be half a lap away.
Done that many many times and I lived happily ever after :-)
:smt023