Not dead ….yet🤣. Engine reassembly

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Not dead ….yet🤣. Engine reassembly

#16 Post by Gary Papesh » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:46 pm

So I'm going through all the parts, preparing to assemble the cases, when i came across these seal bushings for the crankshafts. The manual doesn't show these parts (not clearly anyway), and the parts book doesn't show it either as a separate part.
Looked online, didn't see anything available, so i decided to work with what I had. I measured the depth of the grooves and got .0005. its not much, but both bushings showed a tendency to wear the hardest on one side. That causes a bit of a shoulder, and I didn't want to risk this damaging the new seals. I have a lathe, but i was afraid that due to the hardness of these parts, that trying to turn this could end up badly. After searching about 5 machine shops near me, one of the machinists i spoke to suggested to use a honing stone with oil. :idea: :!: I used a Norton diamond hone to remove the grooves. Then I used P1000, P2000, and P2500 sandpaper with oil to polish it.Image
The man who dies with the biggest carbon footprint WINS !!!

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#17 Post by Gary Papesh » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:58 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage

Luther

#18 Post by Luther » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:39 pm

Lookin good Gary, should last a long time since we aren't the rowdy teens we used to be. I'll have to open mine again as the blanking plug for upper left has had a drip from when I put it together 15 years ago.

Luke

Bengt Weil

#19 Post by Bengt Weil » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:28 am

For reference, the part number is 90560-25259 and is located in the "clutch" section (C12) of the fiche as item #12 - shows that a quantity of two is required.

http://www.rz500.net/RZ%20500%20REFEREN ... ICHE_1.pdf

In case anyone else is looking for this part and they still appear to be available under the part number listed. It is not available through Yamaha USA so one would need to order through a Canadian dealer or your favorite Yamaha dealer in Europe. When I sourced them for my build, I ordered through a Yamaha dealer in Ontario Canada (Ingliscycle.com).

https://www.cmsnl.com/products/spacer47x_9056025259/

Here's another previous reference to someone else from the Owner's Group looking for the part -

viewtopic.php?t=13982

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#20 Post by Gary Papesh » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:11 pm

Thank you Bengt!

Bengt Weil

#21 Post by Bengt Weil » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:06 am

You are very welcome Gary - thanks for all your informative posts as well!

rz500guytexas

#22 Post by rz500guytexas » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:31 pm

I use Image shack. I believe I pay a fee but seems to work pretty well. Keep up good work. By the way the clearance thing was because of the rods, correct? Everyone was mad at Gus but I thought it was a manufacturer issue. They changed the rods but did not let Gus know. One day mine will need rebuilt.

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#23 Post by Gary Papesh » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:05 pm

The bottom end of the rods have been ground to a smooth radius. I’m assuming it was for clearance.
Personally, I don’t have a problem with a thicker bottom end of the rod. Better more than less. And since my cases have been modified anyway for porting purposes, a little notch is ok. It’s not a stressed area.