Auto lube gears?

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

Auto lube gears?

#1 Post by Gary Papesh » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:49 am

Ok, I’m stumped on this Autolube pump. I installed the driveshaft for the pump, along with all the washers, pins, and circlips. But what drives it?
I didn’t disassemble the kick starter assembly, so it’s the same as when I took it out years ago. The small toothed gear that is behind the big gear looks like it meshes with the oil pump, but it is connected to the big kick starter gear. This big gear only wants to turn if it’s kicking the motor over. ? It seems restrained by the spring, and that plate, or something. Somehow that pump needs continuous power. I understand that the idler gear, mates with the small pinion on the clutch basket. And that idler gear meshes with the kickstarter gear. But when I turn the big gear, I think the return spring turns with it? Any ideas? :smt017
The man who dies with the biggest carbon footprint WINS !!!

rz500guytexas

Re: Auto lube gears?

#2 Post by rz500guytexas » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:05 am

Never had pump out so can not help

phildu31

#3 Post by phildu31 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:10 pm

Autolube pump is driven by the primary drive gear and then drives the kick gear shaft.

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Gary Papesh » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:29 pm

So if I turn the kick gear idler one way, the kick starter ratchet turns. Turn the other way, and it only turns maybe 20 degrees, until the arm on the kick starter hits against the case. ☹️ The kick starter assembly seems to be put together properly. The end of the shaft fits into the recess in the case. The oil pump drive gear on the shaft meshes with the fine tooth gear which is on the back of the kick starter gear. Both gears do not turn independently, they are together. I will post pictures tonight.

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Gary Papesh » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:24 pm

So I figured out what I was doing wrong. I had to get the lever on the end of the kick starter assembly up above the angled bracket that bolts right next to the bore that the shaft of the assembly sits in. This allows the ratchet to work when the kickstarter lever turns the shaft.