Spec II Chambers

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Dirk in Portland

Spec II Chambers

#1 Post by Dirk in Portland » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:10 pm

Does anybody have experience with Spec II chambers for the 500. I bought a set new about 12 years ago and ended up parking the bike before using them. Now the bike is almost ready to put back on the road and I'm curious as to how the will compare to the current crop of pipes. Any input would be appreciated.<p>BTW, it's nice to back in the group after all this time.<p>Thanks,<p>Dirk
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

dirkandpamellis@comcast.net

Brian

Re: Spec II Chambers

#2 Post by Brian » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:41 am

I'm sorry, I've heard from time to time, they where not as good as the other pipes as far as performance. <p>I don't know what else to tell you because I don't have first hand experience with the pipe nor have I seen dyno spec's (Hey I made a pun), all I can tell you, is what I've heard and read. <p>Thank you to all the people that talked me out of buying these pipes. <p>TBS, I think it's a mid-range pipe, and falls at the top power levels. But like I said, I don't have first hand. But over the years people have reported this. I think if the bike is stock, it might run ok. <p>Just keep your old pipes, and do some runs with both sets of pipes, and keep us tuned, (Hey, another pun).
<br>

Elvishead666@aol.com

Paul K

#3 Post by Paul K » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:36 am

Spec. II is located in southern Cal. The owner is Gary Shumake. His RZ500 pipes have gotten a bad rap. He specializes in RZ350 stuff, and from talking to people, his 350's run very hard. Gary is a very stand up kinda guy, and will talk to you about his products, and what they were designed for. He had quite a bit of success tunig two strokes for locals in the '70's and 80's. <p>He built a race bike motor for me that was VERY competitive in the 250 GP class in this area in the late '70's and early '80's. AMA used to allow up to 410cc air cooled two stroke twin to run in their 250 GP class. The motor was based on a RD350 cases, using highly modified 350 barells, IT175 rods and pistons for about 390cc, and RD400 heads, 38mm Mikunis,and his pipes. That bike, with a 200lb rider, me, would run with any current liquid cooled 250 GP bike in the late '70s, early '80's. The motor found its way into an early G model 250 frame, which was the first lowboy type frame from Yamaha. Once I got rid of the aluminum front brake caliper that Yamaha put on those bikes, it was fast, braked good and handled great. By '82 it was outdated, but at local races, it would surprise anyone who saw it run. I eventually sold the bike to a guy who put the frame numbers off of a RD350 on it and ran it on the street. The biggest problem was that due to the head-land type upper ring, the pistons were good for about 150 miles at best. You could use different pistons with regular rings, but there was a dramatic power drop. <p>During all my dealings with Gary over many years, I found him to be very honorable, and very straight in his dealings. He mainly was interested in making things go fast.......... If his pipes don't make as much power than others, understand that they were designed and built many yuears ago. I am sure that they made much more power than the stock pipes, and would be a great improvement over stock. <p>What I remember most is that once I started having him do my race motors, at first I thought they were slower, but that was just because he knew that in order to go fast, you have to have a decnt midrange, and an easy tranition to the top end. This may make the motor seem to be weak, but rest assured it is not. Gary built a RD350 race bike for Thad Wolfe that I rode, and it seemed slow, but the powerband was very linear, which made the bike easy to ride. I do know that Thad won a few local championships with that bike here in So Cal. <p>Try them, you will like them.<p>Paul K
<br>

paulkjeweler@sbcglobal.net

Tom K

#4 Post by Tom K » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:20 am

I got Spec2 they dont look like GP style but they sound whey better from other pipes. And also the RPM are whey faster from other FATER pipes. Good luck Thomas
<br>

tkatsaras@sprint.com

Dirk in Portland

#5 Post by Dirk in Portland » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:11 pm

Brian,<p>Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope they work ok.<p>Dirk
<br>

Dirk in Portland

#6 Post by Dirk in Portland » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:32 pm

Paul,<p>It was Spec II's success with the 350's that convinced me to buy them. Twelve years ago there were not many choices for chambers, and Jolly Moto was just starting to get exposure. There has to be some measure of performance gain, no to mention loosing the boat anchors. I hope to get the bike on a dyno in a few months, and let you guys know how it performs. The motor has porting, head mods and reed cage mods per the TSI, with TDR reeds and TM28 carbs with my own pods. The igniton is a 1GE CDI box.<p>Like many others here, I have been dreaming of moving beyond the stock cylinder & intake layout with it's inherent limitations, and doing something like Randy Norian's Delta Gamma, but something in between the TZ and RZ cylinders. But that's for another thread, so thanks for the info.<br>Dirk
<br>

Dirk in Portland

#7 Post by Dirk in Portland » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:35 pm

Tom,<p>I am curious to know more about your comment regarding the RPM is where they are faster than the fatter pipes.<br>Also, is your motor stock, or what kind of mods have you done. Tell me more.<p>Thanks,<p>Dirk
<br>

Tom k

#8 Post by Tom k » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:34 am

Hi Dirk I have done the TSI set up.I tried my friends GP pipes he has a stock motor.Less torke and mush slower at mid range.Also sound quality I rather have my stock ones see you later. Thomas
<br>

tkatsaras@sprint.com

Jim C

#9 Post by Jim C » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:13 pm

Hey Guys<br>I think I might have a set of Spec II pipes. The pipes have not been mounted yet. They need some repair work and brackets welded on. Are all four mufflers the same size? Could someone email me pictures of their pipes on and off the bike? Also does anyone have any original instructions from Spec II?<br>Thanks<br>Jim
<br>

cardinaljames@charter.net