Race engine build

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Race engine build

#61 Post by wolfgangh » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:01 pm

not planning a real airbox to begin with, only some shields/deflectors to isolate from hot air behind the radiator

bobbyd

#62 Post by bobbyd » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:07 pm

[/quote]
Me to. i am not a talented racer and I cant ride any bike with more than 70hp or so at its limit. Building such project is pure stupidity in theory. If I needed that extra HP I could simply buy another bike in the shop for a fraction of the cost, and better reliability and better quality. i am an electronic engineer by education, and I am fascinated by anything technical (especially mechanical). The world does not need my engine, but my ego does. Keep your fingers crossed that it works close to what I expect![/quote]

Wolfgang, that's is wonderfully honest of you and it's made me love your projects even more.

I also modify bikes in the name of my own ego and stupidity and I'm so glad there's others out there who feel the same way.

Best wishes for your projects success, I shall be watching from the sidelines and cheering you on.

Regards,
Alex

Pasha

#63 Post by Pasha » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:57 am

For those, who haven't seen yet )))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ddrTDpU0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0FIWefmwkU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#64 Post by pstamper » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:34 am

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: Congrats on the start. I am glad to see someone make some real progress on a bike on this forum. And it is one of the best we have seen, and again it works. Beautiful work and so happy for you and that your plans worked. Can not wait to see it in action and possible dyno test. Best thing is heat cycle the engine to break it in.

Now for the joking stuff. Who came up with the music for the first video? Second video I picture a couple old guys like me out smoking a joint before firing the bike off or maybe after. I loved your stand for the auxiliary fuel tank. Little shade tree mechanic in you some where. And finally, how long before your feet and legs were not sore after all that kicking. You needed to hire a young gun to do the kicking. And from a guy with broken pelvis, standing on a stool while kicking it? Be careful. :smt011

Again, has to be a proud moment for you. I love the ingenuity that members have and even more when put into use. Congrats, congrats, congrats :smt045 You just motivated me to repair my crashed bike.

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#65 Post by wolfgangh » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I have run the engine several more times, adjusted my Zeeltronics (determined static advance, I had originally measured it with 38 deg but turned out it is actually 43 deg).
Yesterday I even rode it few laps in the yard, first gear only. The engine pulls strong from idle, without hesitation. Only very short straights so I could not make more than maybe 40 kph.

Next steps is to adopt bodywork and get it painted, improve fuel hose routing and build some heat shields for the carbs so that they dont breath the warm air from behind the radiator.
Cant wait to get it on the racetrack in few weeks!

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#66 Post by pstamper » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:28 pm

All right. Did I hear race track? Someone that is actually taking the bike out. Just a shake down ride at a track day? I wish you the best and be safe. Bet you are all excited, nervous, and looking forward to see how your handy work performs. Tell me you have good gear and stay away from people with a paper tag on their bike. We do not want to see this. Let us know how the Zeel works. Putting one on the track bike.