Rev counter stopped working &YPVS stopped working !!

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

jujdred

Rev counter stopped working &YPVS stopped working !!

#1 Post by jujdred » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:48 am

Hi there all :grin:

I've recently bought a rz500 and its more fun than I ever imagined :grin: :grin:
What a marvellous site this is . Its great to see so many people keeping these fine bikes going

Bike seems ...... seemed to run good , no issues really , I used to race a tz , many years ago :sad: I think I"d notice anything serious

However , riding yesterday the rev counter went a bit haywire for a short while now has stopped working. I stopped and made sure the motor was still getting oil , still getting smoke from pipes so carried on gently , the rev counter stopped working completely and the motor was decidedly tame , is this the YPVS not working ??. Now when I switch on the ignition the servo motor seems to go through a cycle , I see a cable pull on the oil pump , however I cannot hear or feel anything from the powervalves or cables . Has anybody experienced this , or any ideas ??

Thanks everyone Guy

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Rev counter stopped working &YPVS stopped working !!

#2 Post by rd84 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:09 am

Is the battery flat or nearly so ?

Cheers
Paul

jujdred

#3 Post by jujdred » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:00 am

Thanks Paul , well checked the battery voltage , a couple of days later , I had 12.65v which I would of thought would be ample , no volt drop to the engine either
However I stuck my charger on which also conditions , this also said the battery was only taking minimal charge.
All good though after charging everything came back to life and all good , I checked the charge rate at the battery terminals , was 15.3v @4000rpm and tickover 14.25v . I thought everything would be good.
However on the next ride all was good , had to turn the lights on on the way home and withinin 10 minutes had exactly the same fault , shone the lights on the garage door which were a bit dim , brightened up with revs so I assume the charging is all ok , when I switched the lights off the rev counter started working immediately.
I was told the battery has just been replaced , I haven't actually tested it . I may actually get another just to be doubly sure , Its a Yuasa 12N5.5-3B , is this the correct one ?.

Would anyone have an idea what causes this ?
Hey great bike though

nzminis

#4 Post by nzminis » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:43 am

hey guy

not good you are having problems with the Rzv
im sure we were waiting on a new battery and we put in what i had on my shelf at the time i charged it overnight and then stuck it in

does it have a blue top or black

i have found lead acid should have at least 13v to be decent and agm or gel are set at 12.5
as we always do i chucked a volt meter at it and you are right it is charging fine

i would ditch that battery and get a motobatt , below is the right one they hold there charge for ages and have a low loss rate
http://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/mobamb55u.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my bike does not dim when it idels to when you rev it . so it sounds like the battery to me

Ryan

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by rd84 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:53 am

I also think the battery - my problems went away after fitting a new battery - I would also strongly recommend a Optimate charger 24/7 - the old lead acid battery was always a weak spot on these bikes when left standing - You will need the screw on battery terminal optimate extension lead plug to avoid dismantling your bike to get at the battery and to make life easy when you want to ride the bike.

I've got a Yuasa battery because it looks original - with the optimate it performs well and lasts for about 3 or 4 years with a Optimate on it 24/7. I found they would only last 1 to 2 years without the Optimate and often went flat over winter when I don't ride much. (Or even at all as I get older :grin: )

Cheers
Paul

2smoke

#6 Post by 2smoke » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:00 pm

I have found that the turn signals wont flash when the battery craps out. Not enough juice to run them.
Colin