500 Two-Stroke Tech

500cc GP-Replica Tech Forums

Search  FAQ  Register Login
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Operation: MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE - Florida RZ500 Projec
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:10 am 

Thanks Andrew - more details coming...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:13 am 

Service C16 – Chain Guard...

I guess for a more racer look, one of the previous owners probably decided to leave the chain guard off. But being somewhat of a fanatic about routine maintenance, I decided the only way this bike was going to stay clean is to re-install a guard to keep the lube from slinging all over the place.

There are some advantages to having a bike pieced together from more modern day iron, and one is a plentiful (and inexpensive!) parts supply on the auction sites. I found this FZR600 guard for US$20, and that included shipping.

It looked its age (1990’s), but it was free of bad scratches so it turned out to be a great starting point. It really just needed a bit of cleaning and polishing to make it look nearly new. Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze does wonders on plastic - almost too good.

The guard fits pretty well in its new home. There is a bit of rubbing where it contacts the frame downtube, but I don’t think there is really anything I can do about it since the chain itself runs pretty close to the tube as well.

C16 Total Cost: US$20.00 (Chain Guard)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:07 pm 

Service C04 - Clutch...

My bike was fitted with a CRG clutch lever, and I must say, I’m quite impressed with this assembly. I had seen them before on bike, but had no idea they are built with bearings in the pivots.

Insert Picture 1

I gave the cable a pressurized shot of lube. These things work pretty good unless you don’t have it tightened up enough, in which case, it drips all over the place. So tighten down good on those thumb screws.

Insert Picture 2

Here’s a better look at the bearings and some of the other bits. Now I know why they cost as much as they do.

Insert Picture 3

Lastly per the service manual, I made a quick adjustment on the clutch push rod.

Insert Picture 4

C04 Total Cost: US$X0.00 (Nothing needed, for a change!)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 am 

looking at the start date on this thread makes me feel a little less bad on my virtually no progress on my recent purchase - your quick release for the fuel lines and thoughts on a "service' tank were interesting too, as after a day messing around with free flowing fuel on tank removal while investigating a leaking carb .......at least mine is a 375 cc triple now instead of a very obese 250 twin, but I haven't been looking forward to more of that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6