Need CAD Advice

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

Yellow and Black RZ

Re: Need CAD Advice

#46 Post by Yellow and Black RZ » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:36 pm

Distance from 8.75 line to 5.092 line would make that one easier. :D
The angles of the 4.187 and 1.375 lines can be practically infinite.

smoker-2.jpg
smoker-2.jpg (168 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#47 Post by Smoker » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:12 pm

Yellow and Black RZ wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:36 pm Distance from 8.75 line to 5.092 line would make that one easier. :D
The angles of the 4.187 and 1.375 lines can be practically infinite.

smoker-2.jpg
Glad I showed you the drawing, first. I thought it was too easy. :smt003

I'll look at this again, today. Thanks!

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#48 Post by Smoker » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:13 pm

Yellow and Black RZ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:34 pm Have in 1:1 pdf if you want it.

I can more than likely export the file in a format that will work for you. let me know.
That's great news about the export files.

1:1 pdf could be cool. I might be able to print out the pieces to check the mockup.

Yellow and Black RZ

#49 Post by Yellow and Black RZ » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:20 pm

This more than likely means I should take a math class.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#50 Post by Smoker » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:23 am

Yellow and Black RZ wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:20 pm This more than likely means I should take a math class.
I hope not. :smt003

Couldn't find my digital angle tool until late tonight.

Angle measurements are a bit interesting. Let me just check the cardboard template on the bike tomorrow.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#51 Post by Smoker » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:57 am

Some things on the bike are asymmetrical.

It's difficult for me to determine if the fuel tank needs to be asymmetrical, or not.

So far, the drawing looks like this because the right lower corner needed to stick out a bit more.

The horizontal line you asked about is 7.5"

I'd like to make a cardboard template using 125.0 degrees on both sides, instead of 124.6 and 125.6 just to see if it's acceptable. Should mess up both sides a little. :smt003

Tomorrow, I'll break out the white bodywork and check if the cardboard template fits the same.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#52 Post by Smoker » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:34 am

Here's just one example of what I'm dealing with.

The threaded bung for the side panel lines up with the frame on the left side.

But, it's around 3/16" off on the right side.

Double-checked the subframe to see if it's obviously bent. Looks slightly off, but I think it could be corrected just by loosening & retightening the 4 mounting bolts. Won't affect my measurements.

First time mounting any white bodywork.

Rear panel template doesn't fit exactly like on the black bodywork. I'd better keep the panel symmetrical, for now. Let's use the same angles and dimensions on both sides. Approx. 125.0 angle, both sides, instead of 124.6 and 125.6. I'll try to hand draw a new template to try out. Not sure how accurate it will be.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#53 Post by Smoker » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:04 pm

Quick update.

I remade a symmetrical rear panel, and it looks okay. I need to double check with the white bodywork.

Today is the first day of the new semester in the welding lab. Each lab is one day per week, so I took 4 labs. That means that all 4 days this week will be the first day of class, and there's never welding on the first day- just intro and safety lecture. So, I doubt I'll be able to ask about cutting these parts until next week. I won't even see that instructor until Friday.

My plan is to be ready with my drawings, and the CAD drawing from Yellow and Black RZ. One way or another, I should have some aluminum to weld, soon.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#54 Post by Smoker » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:43 pm

Just wanted to post an update, especially since Yellow and Black RZ was kind enough to provide those CAD numbers and drawing.

I kept revising my hand drawings. It was no problem at all with my former machinist, but it's kind of embarassing giving them to an unknown machinist who may be used to professional CAD drawings.

Finally gave them to my instructor just over a week ago. Was hoping to get some news this week in class, but he didn't get it done, and asked me to remind him on Tuesday. Hopefully, things will start happening soon. No problem at all to send my drawings to a waterjet cutting shop. Was very cool of the instructor to offer help, so I'll give him some time, first.

Have to admit that I haven't been working on my CAD skills. Not giving up, though. Just busy trying to get my priorities straight.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#55 Post by Smoker » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:17 am

Well, clearly things haven't worked out as expected.

I never asked the welding instructor for help getting my parts machined. Only asked if I could use some of that .125 inch aluminum. He offered to get the pieces machined at his other job.

So, he never got it done. I guess my next move should be to send out my hand drawings for some estimates on cutting the parts. Have no idea who to ask. Sent a message to a machinist I used to go to, but he hasn't worked for years. Hopefully, he's back in business. Water jet cutting might be the cheapest and easiest, so looking into that.

Luther

#56 Post by Luther » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:47 pm

Hi Smoker,

No answers to any of your questions just wanted to say thats some fantastic projects your building. Bravo for jumping in both feet.

Back in the 70's there was a series of books by Carrol Smith called, Prepare To Win, Tune To Win, Engineer To Win. I think you would find the last one a good read. Its how to build an open wheel indy car or FF, F2 whatever tube frame and all the suspension. Cooling, fuel, oil tanks and mounts in aluminum. Basically a bunch of engineering rules on joining tubes, how bracing works and attaching mounts to flex not break.

Luther

#57 Post by Luther » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:04 pm

https://bikebreakerbaker.smugmug.com/Ot ... -VL9rrmC/A

I can't get the picture up but the link goes to pictures of BOTT race bikes. My friend Vernon built the #280 XV920 from 1/8" aluminum plate and had another friend weld it up. He did the pattern build in cardboard on the coffee table in the living room. I watched Britt Turkington get 4th on it at Memphis in 87

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#58 Post by Smoker » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:17 pm

Thanks, Luther! Happy Thanksgiving, bro.

I'll look for that book. I hope there's not much more engineering needed to finish my projects, but I can use all the help I can get.

I couldn't get that BBB link to load, but I may have found a pic of that bike. Looks like the right style and era.

The biker websites are so dead, these days. It's harder for me to get motivated, with no one to share with. I appreciate the help, and will try to get some more work done.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#59 Post by lost1750GTV » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:59 pm

Frame construction looks like the exactweld tz250; some good pics of it on net, but I have trouble linking.

Luther

#60 Post by Luther » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:11 pm

Hi Smoker,

I'm rereadeing the thread and to be on subject i'm using Smartcam V11 thats 25 years old bootlegged from my old job. It's 32 bit so runs on old Thinkpad T42's with XP. I try to keep 2 running at all times. I only use them for cadcam and to comunicate with a 40 year old Hitachi VA-40 machining center, Fanuc 6M control. I can import DXF files otherwise I have my brother clean up and convert with Autocad as most cam programs will generate loads of construction elements that mess with making simple continuous cutter paths. In the early days the big problem was that and rounded off numbers as only the end guy making the parts wanted 4 place decimals so tangents were tangent and elements connected. I'm old stuck in my ways and it does everything I want. OK I do have my brother use autocad to tell me area or volume if I need to know. When I draw with Smartcam and an Autocad person watches they shake their heads as you kind of enter information the other way. To me its less keystrokes and the important stuff first. Kind of like an RPN calculator without = key once you get used to it the other way seems tedious. The younger folks doing 3D printing are telling me to get Fusion 360 and I will when one of them upgrades and hands me the old computer.