Mock race for CMRA riders at Circuit Of The Americas

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

rz500guytexas

Mock race for CMRA riders at Circuit Of The Americas

#1 Post by rz500guytexas » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:59 am

The track group I rode with was nice enough to let me ride in a CMRA mock race for the prov novs since I have a race license with AHRMA. Weekend was hot at near 100 degrees. Bike ran well at 65 C water and 1125 degrees on EGTs. Ran personal bests on the TZ at 2:40.5 and a 2:44 on the RZV. Will get video of it up. Still leaving a lot of time on the track. Grid was Aprilla RSV4, ZX10, Ducati, R1, yellow R6 (ringer to mix with prov novs), me, R1, KTM 390, and my buddy on SV650. Lights are all red then off and go. I blow the start as always, I hang with them till back straight, ZX10 breaks right clip on braking end of back straight first lap, I dice it and catch a few, miss a shift lap 2 I believe into the stadium turn but catch up again, force the R! into trying to out brake me, and that was it. Totally awesome to grid up at the track. Loris Baz Ducati superbike was in the garage with me and was ridden by a guy that bought it. He had to have mechanic that came with the bike from Ducati to get it started and running for the day. Was 300 HP and 256 to the wheel. You will see the tires in the pictures. A guy pitted behind me came off track on a Triumph 1000 at 199 degrees on the rear. The mechanic and owner where great people. Had another in our group that was nice enough to catch some video from the front straight.

HERE IS THE VIDEO LINK IN HD. Hope you all enjoy it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjjla8fHro&t=20s

BRAD THE MECHANIC AND SOME NEIGHBORS

ME 20 MINUTES BEFORE THE RACE IN THE FREEZER COOLING DOWN. REALLY IT WAS SO NICE

MY TRUSTY GIRL GIVING ME A 2;44

FRONT TIRE TEMP AFTER SITTING FOR A SHORT TIME

REAR TIRE TEMP AFTER SITTING
g[/IMG][/URL]

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Mock race for CMRA riders at Circuit Of The Americas

#2 Post by Smoker » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:25 pm

Never seen a happier face in my life!

Will watch the video when I get home from welding lab.

Congrats, bro. You are definitely living the dream.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by silverstrom » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:05 pm

Terrific story and brilliant photos and video :smt023

Nice to see you making the most of retirement :smt003

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by lost1750GTV » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:19 pm

Nice to see an old guy on a little old bike mixing it up with (presumably) younger fellas on more current big bikes.
Your energy/commitment is commendable.

rz500guytexas

#5 Post by rz500guytexas » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:53 pm

Thank you. Would have done both days but retirment income and heat were not in my favor. With stock market where it is will be leasing my place possibly so I can relax about money. Was happy I was able to sort the carb issue I had at the Aprillia day. Bike did run very well but started getting warm. I decided to coast around and cool it down but was in trouble when I came into pit. I was told I was unsafe being off the race line and should have hot pitted. Oh well, lesson learned. Managed to drop 6 seconds from my average past of the past. Managed a 2:40.5 on the TZ and I see at least a reasonable 5 seconds left on track. I will get that video posted. I am so comfortable on the 500 and know what gears I need to be in and where the best place are to downshift. Tire wear was perfect. Nice part of riding the bike so long is I find I am not leaned over as long and trust it being on power leaned over. It has not seemed to move around. I manage to keep it at 8k to 10k most of the track. I did get a wheelie on the rise going into turn 10. This is where Moto GP was complaining.

And I do feel blessed to be able to do this and appreciate you all enjoying. After my health diagnosis I am going to live life as well as I can. Took me two days to recover from the track. We rode karts Friday afternoon before getting in to paddock. Those things kicked my ass. Also a bit upsetting is my new Alpinestars Tech 10 air suit stopped working. Have my Tech 5 but the extra protection is nice. And yes the majority of bikes are liter size with considerably younger riders. Think another month or two before next event. Will get mock race link up with the TZ. Thanks again on watching and comments and keep the shiny side up.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by lost1750GTV » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:04 pm

"Stock market where it is"
My perspective - by all logic it should have crashed right after the last election - and instead we got "free $" outlooks causing it to go up 20%. So from an unrealistic high we are pretty much back where it was before the false euphoria.
So it sucks but at least the loss was from a false (and short lived) run up.

rz500guytexas

#7 Post by rz500guytexas » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:45 pm