weak spark

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

TN-592

weak spark

#1 Post by TN-592 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:17 pm

I have big problem starting my rd,it starts when I clean and dry sparks from the fuel then it works one minute and goes off,the plugs are wet and there is no spark,after i dry it I have a spark but it seems to be very weak compared to the other two stroke engines I have worked with,the color of the spark is blue but very thin one,is this normal for rd 350 ypvs 1ua bike?If not what could be the cause of a weak spark?

motoholic71

Re: weak spark

#2 Post by motoholic71 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:35 pm

It could be coil HT leads and caps needing replacement. They can be replaced by copper core leads and non resistive plug caps so long that you always use resistive plugs (NGK BR and not NGK B).

It could also be the a loose connection on the wiring, or the coil. Disconnect plugs and use WD40 on them, check for water and rust.

Don't wate time checking the battery or grounds because this system does not use them at all.
So maybe the weak spark is not weak after all.
This system requires both plugs being connected and both pugs threads touching each other or a commun metallic part (like the head).

If you unplug one spark pug they both stop sparking or become very faint.

Maybe the problem lies elsewhere like excessive oil from a bad seal or fuel from a leaking choke valve
Ask me about the new free App i-wipe 2.0, the app that replaces toilet paper

TN-592

Re: weak spark

#3 Post by TN-592 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Tnx for your reply,the spark was not an issue,I had to much oil i fuel,when I change it I mannage to start the engine