Clean It Up

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

pxgallagher

Clean It Up

#1 Post by pxgallagher » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:41 pm

Got my engine apart and I need to get it back together before spring:

1) How do I clean up and to what extent? I've got it apart so I'd like to get it as clean as possible so I can repaint it.

2) When I repaint it, how to paint the YPVS area on the jugs so they stand out?

Thanks,

pxgallagher

Zombie

Re: Clean It Up

#2 Post by Zombie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:23 am

If you are going to do a 100% rebuild with all new everything, you can submerge the parts in a carb cleaner bath, but it will destroy any rubber seals you leave in there. If you are replacing them all, then its no big deal. I used this method with my RD dragbike. You could also get the cases and cylinders vapor blasted. Personally, I prefer the as-cast look, but you could paint them any color. As for making the YPVS callout really stand out, use a highly contrasting color and take your time, you can paint them by hand.

You can also mix up the combinations to make your own look. There is plenty of dressup and bling out there for this engine if you want to go in that direction too.

Questo vecchio rz

Re: Clean It Up

#3 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:26 pm

pxgallagher wrote:Got my engine apart and I need to get it back together before spring:

1) How do I clean up and to what extent? I've got it apart so I'd like to get it as clean as possible so I can repaint it.

2) When I repaint it, how to paint the YPVS area on the jugs so they stand out?

Thanks,

pxgallagher
Dude, this is easy as far as your #2.

If you want it to just be freshened up like stock you just paint your entire head as you normally would with a high temperature paint and then using a wood block or anothrer form of sanding block with some progressively fine grade wet dry sandpaper you just sand the flat surface until it takes off the black paint which leaves the ypvs highlighted in "Black". The same principle applies if you want to use any other color to highlight, gold ,yellow, red etc you paint just that one section the square YPVS block and then you sand it.

If you want the entire head black, you just use an artist brush with your desired paint color this will work best and easiest for you with your head off the bike with the head resting vertically so you can fill in the recessed YPVS letters with paint. I suggest using high temperature paint. But it is not absolutely necessary just a good quality epoxy or enamel etc etera for the highlights. As you are feeling in the ypvs lettering if you get excess paint up onto the flat surface keep a very fine fiber towel damp w mineral spirits wrapped tightly around a credit card and run it along the flat surface that will remove any paint from the black paint but leave the lettering filled in.

Pretty basic & straightforward if you can take apart your motor you should be able to do this without much worry.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500