Any thoughts about this kit .

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Questo vecchio rz

Re: Any thoughts about this kit .

#16 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:03 pm

hondaror wrote:Questo, I don't agree with what you say about pv and non pv engines.

make for more entertainment in the seat with a large kick in the pants with regard to the power delivery.

I know you guys didn't get the LC down there
(Perhaps lost a little in translation,my wording.. I agree peak power will ultimatley be relative, so were in agreement.
But as far as power everywhere else im a solid beleiver that a PV system allows power to always be accessible unlike a non PV system, thus allowing the machine to be substantially quicker w the same powerplant and alot more h.p everywhere...except ultimate top end.

Even when basiclly stock my RZs were much quicker than the majority of RD400s, 350s a friend had a 350LC & thw RZ was alot quicker..the LC was not much faster than any of the modified RD400s we ran around with. Even Kawasaki 500 triples were no match foe a stock RZ w pipes.

After being modified the RZ was a great street bike for fun for blasts up to 100mph..It easilly beat most all other 2 stroke I came across (drag racing). I raced alot of bikes..100s. It just accerates so much quicker out of the hole & from cruising speeds (downshifting)..I could handilly beat the majority of all 550s & 600s of the 80s and many if the 700s and keep alot of the 750s ...surprised I was right there..at least until 100mph..lol. Thats were the lil RZs get their asses handed to them...lol The YPVS made all this possible,.
As far as "kick in the pants" when the powerband cones on..yes its fun..but its also an illussion as when compared to a equivilant machine with PVs its already behind some bike lenghts by that point.
If the RZs displacement was larger..I'd not be too concerned..take a U.S. spec V-Max for a good example when the butterflies open...now thats the " kick in the pants!" But the fun doesnt stop at 100-110 mph..it just keeps coming. My EXUP FZR was the same way just brutal acceleration everywhere..and same as a YPVS the EXUP system allows the bike to be quicker (responsive)than
FZRs that deleted the EXUP..same can be said for turbo lag or. Big ol lazy single turbo vs staggered twin turbos..same output but harnessed & delivered in a way that the equipped machines are always out in front when accelerating.

But for a fun streetbike..or a purpose built roadracer for large long tracks..One can do whatever they want..its going to be a fun machine w plenty O' smiles.
Its all relative..build ride or race whatever one wants. We can have fun on YSR50s to 190 h.p literbikes & anything in between!. :smt077
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

slinger
-----
-----

#17 Post by slinger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:52 pm

Questo vecchio rz wrote:
hondaror wrote:Questo, I don't agree with what you say about pv and non pv engines.

make for more entertainment in the seat with a large kick in the pants with regard to the power delivery.

I know you guys didn't get the LC down there
(Perhaps lost a little in translation,my wording.. I agree peak power will ultimatley be relative, so were in agreement.
But as far as power everywhere else im a solid beleiver that a PV system allows power to always be accessible unlike a non PV system, thus allowing the machine to be substantially quicker w the same powerplant and alot more h.p everywhere...except ultimate top end.

Even when basiclly stock my RZs were much quicker than the majority of RD400s, 350s a friend had a 350LC & thw RZ was alot quicker..the LC was not much faster than any of the modified RD400s we ran around with. Even Kawasaki 500 triples were no match foe a stock RZ w pipes.

After being modified the RZ was a great street bike for fun for blasts up to 100mph..It easilly beat most all other 2 stroke I came across (drag racing). I raced alot of bikes..100s. It just accerates so much quicker out of the hole & from cruising speeds (downshifting)..I could handilly beat the majority of all 550s & 600s of the 80s and many if the 700s and keep alot of the 750s ...surprised I was right there..at least until 100mph..lol. Thats were the lil RZs get their asses handed to them...lol The YPVS made all this possible,.
As far as "kick in the pants" when the powerband cones on..yes its fun..but its also an illussion as when compared to a equivilant machine with PVs its already behind some bike lenghts by that point.
If the RZs displacement was larger..I'd not be too concerned..take a U.S. spec V-Max for a good example when the butterflies open...now thats the " kick in the pants!" But the fun doesnt stop at 100-110 mph..it just keeps coming. My EXUP FZR was the same way just brutal acceleration everywhere..and same as a YPVS the EXUP system allows the bike to be quicker (responsive)than
FZRs that deleted the EXUP..same can be said for turbo lag or. Big ol lazy single turbo vs staggered twin turbos..same output but harnessed & delivered in a way that the equipped machines are always out in front when accelerating.

But for a fun streetbike..or a purpose built roadracer for large long tracks..One can do whatever they want..its going to be a fun machine w plenty O' smiles.
Its all relative..build ride or race whatever one wants. We can have fun on YSR50s to 190 h.p literbikes & anything in between!. :smt077
You talk the same language as this dip shit Image

Redline Junkie
-----
-----

#18 Post by Redline Junkie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Hahahahaha!
1985 RZ350F being restored now!
1987 RZ350 Stock
1985 RZ350F basket case
1985 RZ500 Stock

Questo vecchio rz

#19 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Well well if it is not the seasonal RZ forum internet Troll.

Oh & just how many miles have you logged on a Rz350? I've probably around a total of 90k on various RZs so I certainlly know the characteristics of the bike & what works for me & what doesnt. Hell two months took the RZ on a 1000+ mile road trip to the Grand Canyon , I bet thats more seat time than youve done in a decade... isnt it :smt002
As far as your referance to Trump...Well he's the President?..I suppose thats all that matters? At least he achevied something from spewing his B.S., your problem is you have (never been able to sell your ...bullshit.) hence your bitterness & forum trolling. Keep peddling your "cutting edge" snake oil show as far as your modified stock heads or your port work, OH... but apparantly thats only when you decide " people are worthy enough for your services".

You are so full of hubris and arrogance and you seem to carry a big chip on your shoulder especially toward America and her people? who have done you no harm nor disrespect whatsoever ? I don't know what your problem is? but you keep finding ways to get under the skin of a lot of talented and fellow RZ enthusiasts here who want nothing more than to just enjoy their hobby and not be divided or insulted or put down again by your.... trolling.
If you were not such a jerk or even as talented as you picture yourself too be or (possibly both) perhaps you would have gained something substantial out of this hobby for yourself, instead your just happy to "troll" and do what you do best..."Slinging" your insults and jealousy. Your nickname is appropriate.
Just reviewing your posts almost from the 1st time you arrived here you've injected, put-downs and arrogant one-liners like your s*** doesn't stink...& everyone else is in the past. Dont you think some of your work has ever made it down here ? You do quality work...but you are certainlly not on to anything new , certainlly not developed to a level that gives you the self rightous act to place yourself up onto a pedestal.
Perhaps if you were a humble non abrasive person, its just thats who you are , you would have had some success to the likes of Roger @ Wicked or Stan Stephens, Gary Shumanke, Mr.Turfrey, Jim Lomas, & the Toomeys, most of whom are friends of our small community you have directly or indirectly slighted. But you dont & you..wont.

As you say beleive what you want & "fill ya boots" w your self...troll.

I'd certainlly never do buisness with someone like you nor recommend your services ! I did at one time but those days are..over & Amigo both you & I know I'm not alone in that setiment. :smt002
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

hondaror

#20 Post by hondaror » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:58 am

Ok, now that that's over:

Questo, that's putting us back on track. I can say the same things about my LC. After I had set it up the way I liked, I smoked damned near everything through the first 4 gears, on 1 wheel, and then was handed the shovel to clean up the $h!t as the bigger bikes would blow by. There is no question about the pv and what it does for power delivery throughout the range. I want a really fun bike that slaps you in the face with its power band. Just like the LC does. That's what I really enjoyed. Going to get that back. Learning to ride a touchy bike fast, makes you a better rider. I'm probably better than most due to my experience racing motocross on 2 strokes and then road racing, but never would I say the best, because I'm not. Not even close.
I'm Going to be heading your way in the next few weeks. Pm me if you'd like to get together.
My LC did the same as your RZ, but without the power valve. Non pv engines are like a switch that hits at 6500 rpm. You just have to know how to ride it, that's all. Given 2 bikes with the same ponies, 1 with power valve and one without, a good rider should be able to lap at the same rate. With a 2 stroke you should always be riding in the power on the track. My problem is that, that is how I ride on the street as well.
I don't even want to get into the 4 strokes. Different animal. Supercharging or turbo? No thanks.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

Questo vecchio rz

#21 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:05 am

hondaror wrote:Ok, now that that's over:

Questo, that's putting us back on track. I can say the same things about my LC. After I had set it up the way I liked, I smoked damned near everything through the first 4 gears, on 1 wheel, and then was handed the shovel to clean up the $h!t as the bigger bikes would blow by. There is no question about the pv and what it does for power delivery throughout the range. I want a really fun bike that slaps you in the face with its power band. Just like the LC does. That's what I really enjoyed. Going to get that back. Learning to ride a touchy bike fast, makes you a better rider. I'm probably better than most due to my experience racing motocross on 2 strokes and then road racing, but never would I say the best, because I'm not. Not even close.
I'm Going to be heading your way in the next few weeks. Pm me if you'd like to get together.

Your advice to the new guy regarding superior nimble handling of a stock RZ vs the retrofitted USD suspension was right on , so many newbies think they have to have modern components & alum frame to go fast which relates perfectly your "The touchy bike fast" quote, is so true, thats generally something that doesnt come too naturally, it takes work.
It certainlly does for me, however much I love 2 strokes, I'm generally smoother on a 4 stroke, my skill level aint that high, I'm no natural..I have to work hard at it.
I also agree thst a solid moto X background certainlly works in ones favor especially throttle control.
Had a co worker who was a seriouslly fast & talented rider he had a pretty wicked open class KX500. He did things we were just in awe of..but he went riding w some factory riders he said he felt...stupid he was not even on the same planet as AMA pro level riders on bikes with just 1/2 the displacement. He said he was forever humbled..lol.

Kawasaki has their semi private test track out here in So. Cal in the city of Corona, about 1/2 hr below Glen Helen , It borders the freeway & many folks including myself used to stop on my lunch break and watch these guys just do stuff in practice that was just frankley awesome. My back neck & knees hurt just watching them! I just googled it & theres now vids all over You Tube but heres one..Guy make this look like a walk in the park...lol. https://youtu.be/1pt8BK1tMbk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And certainlly I'll PM you, if your in town, and time, dustance & schedules permit always welcome to meet new friends. Perhaps a lunch or beer or whatever sounds good, its all good.

Hey by the way...how is your son? last words I read here were much better than originally(initially) thought...no?

My good friends son of 22 just bought a Harley 48 5 months ago, weve been worried sick (traffic in L.A. is scary).
Well it happened last week a woman in a big SUV, Escalade took him out pretty hard. His 1st crash & his bike was totalled, he only spent the day in the hospital..cut, scraped & bruised but okay :smt001
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Zombie

#22 Post by Zombie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:56 am

Milsaps was just putting around in that vid- he could have gone a good bit faster. Looks like a fun track!

Hooligan

#23 Post by Hooligan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Those cylinders have a protrusion at the exhaust manifold that the RZ doesn't.

Not sure of the difference between a Banshee head and an RZ head? Thought they were the same thing?

As an LC guy, I love the midrange hit. So I adjusted the PV on my RZ to open earlier. Same great power hit but with more power than an LC.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

hondaror

#24 Post by hondaror » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:11 am

My son is doing quite well. He's at school full time, but has a long way to go with the rehab. He wants to ride again, but I'm not keen on that with 17" rods in his back. He's frustrated with the slow progress. The doctors are amazed with his progress, as are the rest of us.

I was riding at an airport location in Toronto on my RM125 back in the early 80's and was passed excessively fast by Mark Barnett and Broc Glover who came out to practice a couple of days before the Supercross. It was great being in their company and a real thrill to ride in their presence. But ya, the pros are more than amazing. You have no idea until you are in their company.
The first time I raced 125s back in '79, I thought I was fast. That changed in a hurry. Then you learn how to crash really well, trying to keep up. Eventually, you earn your way, and you get results. We used to have 120 125 riders show up. I was happy making it to the final. Top 40 isn't too bad. Never won a race. Won practice a couple of times. My best finish in motocross was a 4th. Road racing, a sixth.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

hondaror

#25 Post by hondaror » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:16 am

Hooligan wrote:Those cylinders have a protrusion at the exhaust manifold that the RZ doesn't.

Not sure of the difference between a Banshee head and an RZ head? Thought they were the same thing?

As an LC guy, I love the midrange hit. So I adjusted the PV on my RZ to open earlier. Same great power hit but with more power than an LC.
The heads are very different, oval instead of rectangular. Not sure about combustion chamber.

The LC ports are so much different and smaller, which totally explains the difference in power. Naturally the power valve gives you way more midrange. Makes the bike way easier to ride fast.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

JonW

#26 Post by JonW » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:58 am

Hooligan wrote:Those cylinders have a protrusion at the exhaust manifold that the RZ doesn't.
the 'shee has different exhauast fitment to the RZ.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com