help with the oil pump

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

redman412

help with the oil pump

#1 Post by redman412 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:44 pm

After installing my refurb engine and connecting everything and filling the radiator, gear box and 2 stroke oil tank, how do I pump the oil from the pump to the carbs? Any specific procedure to do this?

Thanks!

krmiller70

Re: help with the oil pump

#2 Post by krmiller70 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm

Pull the oil lines off at the carbs and from the pump and fill them with 2 stroke oil... I used a small syringe. Then take the Phillips head bleed screw out of the oil pump and simply rotate the throttle until a constant stream of oil comes out and no air bubbles in the line from the tank to the pump.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hooligan

#3 Post by Hooligan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:53 pm

krmiller70 wrote:Pull the oil lines off at the carbs and from the pump and fill them with 2 stroke oil... I used a small syringe. Then take the Phillips head bleed screw out of the oil pump and simply rotate the throttle until a constant stream of oil comes out and no air bubbles in the line from the tank to the pump.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
THIS!

I don't think the throttle needs to be turned in order to bleed the pump. I try and fill the pump up as much as possible prior to bolting it in place. Then fill up carb lines and attach them at both ends. Then attach feed line from the oil tank. Then bleed the pump via the bleed screw.

When you start up the motor, pull the pump cable out as far as you can to make it run at max capacity for 5 mins or so. This will pump any air through the system.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

JonW

#4 Post by JonW » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:48 pm

or rotate the part the cable pulls with your finger...
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

redman412

#5 Post by redman412 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 am

So after finally getting the oil lines purge from air, fluids check and all nuts tighten; she started on the first kick.
Tried to take her for a test ride but could not get the bike from 1st gear at all. Limped to the garage on 1sr gear.
Put her on the stands, started her, went thru the gears, found neutral. Another thing, when the bike is in gear and just hold the clutch lever, rear wheel still spins with power, not momentum. I adjusted the clutch cable but to no avail.
Any suggestions? Clutch cable is not that old, maybe 2 yrs old.

Hooligan

#6 Post by Hooligan » Mon May 01, 2017 2:22 am

Is this an RZ or LC?

The LC has a clutch actuator adjustment on the left side under a plastic cover. The RZ, annoyingly, requires the right side cover to be removed, which requires oil and coolant to be drained. See, ANNOYING!

On an RZ, there is an adjuster in the middle of the pressure plate.

It sounds like your clutch actuation is either not adjusted properly or you have warped plates. I had this exact same problem on my RZ and had to completely replace both steel and fibre plates to solve it.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

redman412

#7 Post by redman412 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:42 am

Hooligan wrote:Is this an RZ or LC?

The LC has a clutch actuator adjustment on the left side under a plastic cover. The RZ, annoyingly, requires the right side cover to be removed, which requires oil and coolant to be drained. See, ANNOYING!

On an RZ, there is an adjuster in the middle of the pressure plate.

It sounds like your clutch actuation is either not adjusted properly or you have warped plates. I had this exact same problem on my RZ and had to completely replace both steel and fibre plates to solve it.
It's an RZ, and my engine was freshly rebuilt with new clutch plates. Damn!! So it might need adjustment. I'll look at the manual and start workin. :smt010