Synth 2 stroke oil, huh?

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Synth 2 stroke oil, huh?

#1 Post by LC Cnd » Wed May 24, 2017 1:42 am

Bought Ipone last year and noted its expensive. Not sure if the quality warrants the cost, this year, cuz I'm interested in investing in a 12 bottle case of two stoke motor oil. Hoping to do a lot of riding this year weather permitting. This evening went thru snow mobile, boat motor, ATV banchee & other 2t forms (i.e Kawi etc) trying get a handle regarding oil quality vs.cost. Interestingly Yamalube popped up a few times. But frankly its all over the map due to brand loyalty and availablity for Klotz, Amsoil, Redline, Bel-Ray, Motul, Castor, Mobile 1 & Yamalube syth. One interesting point was that some oils attached moisture inside the engines causing rust - i.e. Amsoil (a hint of ethanol perhaps- lol). Living at/by sea level, I wondering if I should be concerned; the UK can be wet and so is the Southern States. Not sure if moisture issue is for real and wondering if form members yay or nay this point, regarding moisture, as I've been offered to buy Amsoil 12pak case at $187 (5 yr shelf life appearently). Is it worth the investment considering I live on the Wet Coast?

T.RexRacing

Re: Synth 2 stroke oil, huh?

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Wed May 24, 2017 8:33 am

Been running Amsoil Interceptor in the RZ for a long time never any rust issues.Works well and leaves the insides clean.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

RuZty
-----
-----

Re: Synth 2 stroke oil, huh?

#3 Post by RuZty » Wed May 24, 2017 8:41 am

I switched from Motul 710 to Amsoil Interceptor, it was (at the time) easier to come by because Canadian Tire sold it. The recommendation from T.Rex and others also helped and my experience after several gallons is the same as his. I think it is also cheaper than the Motul was although I have to go to Royal Distributing to buy either these days.