rebuilding an exhaust

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

LC Cnd
-----
-----

rebuilding an exhaust

#1 Post by LC Cnd » Tue May 16, 2017 10:02 pm

You will note the pitting on the inside of the header pipe. Not a welder, but wondering if the pitting can be brazed and ground level to save the pipe in this area - after all the rust is removed. Also the collar at the head would have to be rebuilt also. I already have the clamp made.
Attachments
IMG_3638.JPG
IMG_3638.JPG (166.25 KiB) Viewed 3786 times

RuZty
-----
-----

Re: rebuilding an exhaust

#2 Post by RuZty » Tue May 16, 2017 10:31 pm

That would be a shit ton of work and not easy to get good results. If you used power tools you would have flat spots everywhere. You might be better off using a good high temp paint and spray, sand, spray, sand until you get a nice coat, using the paint as filler.

logierob

#3 Post by logierob » Wed May 17, 2017 12:24 am

If you can get the pitts clean enough (sand blasting) you can then lead braze or led load. I have done this on cast exhaust manifolds and a pair of norton pipes they both are still looking good ten plus years later. Just had a look on the Easton tools youtube videos and there is a good how too. I do not use fancy body files just regular cross cut files and sand paper. Be sure not to take to much off while stepping down in grit size or you will have to put more on thus starting from the beginning again. Do not overlook look the acid etching part of the procedure.
Good luck
Rob

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#4 Post by LC Cnd » Wed May 17, 2017 2:34 am

I was thinking muriatic acid or electrolysis and another option to lessen mild steel loss. Suppose I could consider a high temp powder coat. I initially used a brass wheel brush for starters. Is there any particular type of lead I would use for tinning the holes or where I would purchase an ingot? I don't mind doing the work as long as it keeps it looking stock.

yamasukiman

#5 Post by yamasukiman » Wed May 17, 2017 5:57 am

I have cleaned up rd400 headers that were at least as bad as that before getting them re-chromed.
I used various grades of emery cloth(by hand) and it took a while but it worked well.

logierob

#6 Post by logierob » Wed May 17, 2017 5:14 pm

I have had the same old lead bars for doing this for years. From a quick web search you can buy there are few kits out there. Have never gone wrong with any of the eastwood products or tools . They certainly are not the best tools but are very cheep and good enough for a hobbyist and usually fast shipping. You could also try a auto body supply shop. You do really need bright raw metal though or it just wont stick not sure muriatic acid will work electrolysis probably will not either just lifts corrosion and doesn't get to raw metal. The high temp paint idea may also work though and worth a try anyway
Cheers
Rob

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#7 Post by LC Cnd » Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 am

Attended a local muffler shop and was advised to buy some naval jelly (not kidding) to remove the rust from the pipe. Found out Permatex sell it at Lordco - going to give it a try. Still on the search for what will fill the holes. Went to a stove sheet metal shop and was told to use (phonetic) Ebb-ider by TIG'ing it. The gent who told me about it could not give me the proper spelling. Apparently it pools in the pit(s) well and is flexible. Tried to search for it - nothing even close. Obviously the spelling is an issue. Querried a body shop about lead filling but was told that the lead I'm looking for is not pure lead but an alloy which is no longer available. Might try Thermosteel (2400F) if I can find it.

RuZty
-----
-----

#8 Post by RuZty » Thu May 18, 2017 1:17 am

Maybe he is referring to some brand of spray welding powder?

Bare

#9 Post by Bare » Thu May 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Find a replacement pair of pipes?
There.. are.. LC's about in this part of the world as Yama sold lotsa them 'here'.
We just don't Cannonize them like the Brits do :-).

hondaror

#10 Post by hondaror » Fri May 19, 2017 3:58 pm

But we will be soon, as numbers are dwindling. So are RZs. Many of both have made their way south of the boarder.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine