No longer an emergency, and now is AWESOME!!

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Disco

Re: No longer an emergency, but now it won't start!

#31 Post by Disco » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Alright, alright, alright!

Tore carbs apart again, this time rather than soaking (pinesol/water) and spraying through the pilots (carb cleaner would go through every time). I took them out (shoulda in the first place) sprayed them (again, went right through) but then reading some other threads, grabbed a strand of speaker wire and poked through. Immediately on the right pilot I felt resistance! I kept poking around until a little white chunk of something came out on the copper wire. Kept probing a bit until no resistance and then sprayed the crap out of it.

Put everything back together and presto! Started and idled like a champ. Whew! Man that feels good! Special thanks to Ruzty who could have blown me off, but stuck with me on this forum and in emails. And to TDR_50 who offered to help me via phone if I couldn't get to the bottom of it.

So I'll throw this out there for anyone with knowledge on the dial-a-jet (currently I'm not hooked into them) ie TDR or anyone else.

My bike is currently:
K&N, y-boot + dial-a-jets (not hooked into, but curious)
390 Main
20 pilot
1 turn out
Needle (dynojet) in middle (3rd of 6) slots
Toomeys
Premix (24:1) (change that?).

So, if I hooked into the dial a jets, what if anything would or should I expect? As of right now I'm idling and driving very good, so in most of reality I don't need any changes. A bit better lower end would be nice, as I'm not often running above 7000rpms. Would hooking them up help at all, especially based on the current set-up, or should I just leave things as-is and be happy with it?

Thanks all. Looking forward to a ride in about an hour. Oh, while doing all this other crap I was able to partially remove and repaint a nasty dent in the tank that was an eyesore. It's still plenty big, but with the new gloss black over it, it's quite honestly not very noticeable. I used to see it every time I looked at the bike, now it more/less blends.
I used one of those glue-on dent pullers designed for cars. The glue wasn't quite strong enough, and the angle (curved area at front of tank near triples) too funky for the thing to completely fix the dent, but it took it to about 1/2 of what it was, and for now that's making me much happier.

Safe travels. Thanks again.

T.RexRacing

Re: No longer an emergency, and now is AWESOME!!

#32 Post by T.RexRacing » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:42 pm

If it runs well leave it as is. if it ain't broke.......
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

RuZty
-----
-----

#33 Post by RuZty » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm with T on the dial-a-jets, plug the feeds (and the nozzles or you'll have an air leak) and have fun. Play with them later once you get used to the bike and understand what they do better. Glad you got it sorted.

hondaror

#34 Post by hondaror » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:22 am

24-1 is really rich. I run premix at 50 or 60-1. Having said that, have never run an RZ on premix. I will soon enough, when I build my track/race bike.

What are you doing with this bike? Track, street? RZ engines need to be run hard, right up to red line. Running it below 7000 will gum up the engine, especially at 24-1. Gummed up engine=shorter life.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

JackB

#35 Post by JackB » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:52 am

If your bike was set up with dial a jets your main jets may be too small for running without the dial a jets hooked up. I haved used a dial a jet before on a different bike, worked great but when you read the set up directions you have to downsive the main jet a couple sizes for the dial a jet to work. If the jetting is rich the dial a jet wont do anything. It has to sense a lean condition for it to then add fuel and do its thing. I would use the dial a jet again on my RZ except it runs just fine the way it is and the dial a jets are pretty expensive.
1984 Rz350, Wicked Toomey rep pipes, Dynojet kit,Zeel unit,Toomey Y boot filter.

Disco

#36 Post by Disco » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:52 am

I ride on the street and rarely break the local speed laws. A ticket plus increases to insurance just aren't worth it in my life anymore. I live where there are wonderful country roads and lots of twisties, so high rpms but lower gears is on the menu.
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably leave things alone for now but maybe do some experiments this summer.