No longer an emergency, and now is AWESOME!!

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

JonW

Re: No longer an emergency, leak from oil injection nipple (

#16 Post by JonW » Mon May 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Disco, if you use the tag that starts IMG in photobucket and copy/paste it into here it will work, its all I do, and Ive done tens of thousands here and elsewhere.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

RuZty
-----
-----

#17 Post by RuZty » Tue May 30, 2017 2:22 am

I've had trouble with the IMG link in Photobucket, but find it always works if I click the 'direct link' option and then paste the result, select it and then click the {IMG} button.
You can't be leaking gas out of the oil injection lines, they go into the carb throat after the slide. It sounds like someone has turned the drain lines upwards to remedy leaky drain valves and when one broke or fell off the outlet was now back below the float level and you got a leak. If your petcock is functioning normally then you should only lose the volume of the float bowl and feed hose before it stops, which seems to agree with your earlier description. It would be easier to understand with a picture.

Disco

#18 Post by Disco » Tue May 30, 2017 9:44 am

Ruzty, I sent you a PM.

Disco

#19 Post by Disco » Wed May 31, 2017 11:15 am

I'd like to say a big thank you to RuZty, he's been helping me out behind the scenes via email, identifying some problem areas, and we think a big part of the issue will be resolved soon. Such a great forum can only occur with great people.

hondaror

#20 Post by hondaror » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Russ is a stand up guy, and yes, this forum rocks!
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

JonW

#21 Post by JonW » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:00 pm

I'll second that, he sure is :)
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

RuZty
-----
-----

#22 Post by RuZty » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks guys, just paying forward all the help I've got over the years.

T.RexRacing

#23 Post by T.RexRacing » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:11 pm

I don't get along with a couple guys here. However they are all stand up guys here even if I don't agree with them. The knowledge here is outstanding and freely shared. I've been a member since it was a list and the only guy I can recall that I was glad to see go away was some anal portal named John waayyyyyy back before it became a forum.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Disco

Re: No longer an emergency, but rather a frustrating issue..

#24 Post by Disco » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:11 pm

Ok gents, See if you can assist with this...

Ruzty helped me with some issues, #1 that this bike and carbs were set up for a dial-a-jet system on y-boot. They were never hooked up as far as I knew, and I contacted the P.0. and he never ran them either. But this does explain why gas was shooting out of what I called the "oil nipple" on the bottom of the float bowl (gas coming out of the right carb only as the little piece of hose that was on it (pointing upwards, above the gas line in the float bowl) developed a crack and eventually on my ride home fell off, so yes, gas would come out of that nipple, rightly so.

I cleaned the carbs (and everything else on the bike, funny how that happens). I replaced all the fuel and vacuum hoses with brand new stuff. My only two changes was to go from 3/4 turn out to 1 full turn on the air screws and to put the needle in the middle position vs 1 lower (bike was running quite rich and based off what I've read on the forum this would be a good adjustment without screwing up anything.

Bike started, 2nd kick, choke on. Perfect! Choke off, it starts to die, right cylinder, choke on it comes to life again. This happens multiple times. Seems almost like I could run it on 1/2 choke. A small amount of gas is in the right float bowl overflow tube, left is clean.

Ruzty and TDR_50 each suspect an air leak. Ruzty suggests seeing what happens if I turn it to prime while running. No changes.
I pulled everything off this morning and first go through all the hoses and connections and make sure all external screws are snug. I replaced the new choke cross-over tube with the old one, it seems more snug of a fit. I put it back on the bike tighten everything up, and start it, 1st kick, choke on. Perfect! I immediately see gas flowing on the floor, I shut it off, it ran less than 4 seconds. Dang, forgot the primary fuel line to the right carb, which I had off to maneuver around the tach cable. Ok, no biggie. I install it and think I'm ready to go.

Kick, kick, nothing, kick kick, kick kick, nothing. Not a hint of firing. 10 kicks, then 15. Double check ignition, etc, fuel is getting to carbs, This bike has always started in fewer than 10 kicks. Pull plugs, wet but not too wet. Dry them and re install. Nothing. Not a burble or a cough over multiple kicks. choke on or choke off. gas, on, prime, or res.

Just dead. So...here I am hoping that the collective intelligence of you fine, upstanding, men will be able to give me a what's up and how to fix. Certainly tough via a forum, but I've read on here plenty of times where you've done it. I have faith.

Thanks, Disco

Disco

Re: No longer an emergency, but now it won't start!

#25 Post by Disco » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Update: Pulled carbs, opened carbs, double checked jets, needles, and other moving and non-moving parts. Reassembled and installed fuel and vacuum lines, installed on bike.
Pulled plugs, installed new br8es (can't hurt).
Ignition on, choke on, kick, kick-burble (hopes go up!) kick, kick-burble (C'mon girl!) Kick, She's alive!
However, still doing the right cylinder not running well, wants to quietly die. Keep the choke on and it sounds great, choke off keep rpm's about 4000 and seems good. go to idle and it wants to die. Got to give it a couple gentle twists of the throttle (or pull out the choke) and it will come back to normal.
Reminds me of when as a kid, our old johnson outboard had old, crap gas in it (this is fresh) and would only want to run on one cylinder until it got going a bit, then cleaned up and ran ok. I can hear the cylinder making a sucking noise, or at least that's my best description of the sound, when it starts to die and I give it more throttle. Kind of a bogging down, bwwwa, bwwwwa, bwwwaaa, then zing a ding ding as it comes back to life. Left cylinder seems to be running perfect.
Oh, fyi the dial-a-jets are not hooked up. I gave that a try with no change.

JonW

#26 Post by JonW » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Defo has the right bowls on the right carbs?
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Disco

#27 Post by Disco » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:15 pm

You made me go and double check JonW, but I had some photos that I believe you posted a few years ago right in front of me when assembled, so yes, they are correct.

I ended up taking it down the street. Same symptoms though I'm not seeing any gas in the right overflow tube... At above 3000 rpms I could mostly run with the choke off and it ran pretty well. Coming to a stop sign or slowing down I had to pull out the choke or pull in the clutch and keep the revs up.
Could I have something wrong with the pilot(s)? Everything was cleaned (twice) but maybe something got in there...?
Air screw(s)?
I tried going 1/4 turn in on the right carb which would put it exactly where it was prior to cleaning but couldn't sense a change.

Or do I need to go a different direction?

RuZty
-----
-----

#28 Post by RuZty » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:04 pm

If it is rich at idle you need out on the airscrews (more air=leaner). Did you check that your pilots were clear when you cleaned the carbs? You should be able to see light through them, the only thing I will poke through them is a single strand of copper from multi stranded wire, hard to damage them with that but in conjunction with carbs cleaner will usually get rid of any crud.

Disco

#29 Post by Disco » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Wouldn't I be lean ruzty? Needing the choke on to run right would be making it rich, correct? Opening the airscrew will lean it out more? I'm at 3/4 turn out which seems about half of what most are using.
Willing to try anything though, you guys have more experience than I do.
I'll reclean the pilot jet also.

RuZty
-----
-----

#30 Post by RuZty » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Yeah, sorry, didn't do much sleeping last night.
Have you checked what size pilots are in it? I wouldn't count on them being stock based on all the other changes to the carbs.