Carburetor Problems

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

redman412

Carburetor Problems

#1 Post by redman412 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:26 am

After having issues with my engine after being fix by Wicked (another topic to be done), my mechanic told me the issues were fixed. Riding the bike on the highway, it just lost power and dies, luckily I didnt get killed by speeding cars. At the shoulder I check if I had enough gas, 1/2 a tank, WTF is goin on. Then I see the left bowl line full of gas, damn. Put the bike in Reserve and kicked couple of times with open throttle and it started. Got home and the bowl line still dripping with fuel. Took the carbs out and my mechanic tells me its the float needle and seat. Bought a set from economy cycle and my shop installed them. Install the carbs in the bike, and with all hoses and airfilter. Started the bike with the choke on and Primed. Now the carb bowl that wasnt dumping fuel, is dumping fuel. Changed both float needles and seat. Shut down the bike, drain the floats and started the bike on ON and no choke. starts fine, no fuel dumping from either carb. Let it run for 10 minutes and is promising. took it for a ride, At a stop light I smell fuel and the bike is running little rough, like about to die. Pulled over and again fuel is being dumped from the carb bowls. I dont know what to do, buy a new rebuilt kit or do some kind of adjustment? Any ideas?

hondaror

Re: Carburetor Problems

#2 Post by hondaror » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:33 am

Have the carbs pulled apart and sonically cleaned.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

joolstacho

#3 Post by joolstacho » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45 am

I recently had weird symptoms with my RZ250. It's original, well fettled, carbs nicely setup (as in new jets, float needles and seats etc).
The bike would start easily, tickover nicely, but just wouldn't pull at low revs under load. - Until... if you could get it wound up enough it'd pull like a teenager. Beautiful! Full power.
I'd checked various things as you can imagine, but...
It turned out to be one carb slide had dropped off it's cable... (those 'orrible' little spring-clips on the slides that hold the cable nipple).
I was amazed when I found this. I mean, how could it be so good once it got 'on the pipe' with one slide not lifting? I can only assume that it got to a point where the 'good' cylinder was pulling so well that it somehow sucked up the slide on the 'bad' cylinder, giving full power. Weird or what?

justind97

#4 Post by justind97 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:52 am

That sounds like the needle and seat. Have you checked the float height?

wolfman

#5 Post by wolfman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:35 pm

First off, why are you letting someone else wrench on your bike ?
You'll never learn anything like that :smt042
If everything is new, (float valves) then it's a float adjustment.
If you're running stock carbs, make sure the float bowls aren't switched.
If I remember correctly, the mic float bowls aren't interchangeable from right to left :smt018
I'd almost bet that your, (mechanic) fucked that up.
Someone with stock carbs would definitely know.
84 RZ350 Spec II boost ports shaved head
Y boot 29mm PWKs billet manifold TDR Reeds Spec II pipes
Fox twin clicker JMC Braced swing arm
Tarozzi fork brace
Brembo 19 RCS Master ss lines blue spots EBC Vees
Spec 2 Full Fairing factory Solo Cowl

Hooligan

#6 Post by Hooligan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:15 pm

Replace old fuel lines and clean out the tank. Maybe even install an inline fuel filter. Crap coming out of the tank or old lines will continually gumb up the float needles.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750