Can anyone id the manufacturer of this rz crank

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

graham heise

Can anyone id the manufacturer of this rz crank

#1 Post by graham heise » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:54 am

Hello as the title suggests can anyone id this crank found in an rz250 engine that is being pulled down. The prior owner of the bike said it had new crank installed ehen rebuilt. I'm about to transfer 350 barrells to this bottom endImage Image Image

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
yamaha fanatic.

T.RexRacing

Re: Can anyone id the manufacturer of this rz crank

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 am

More than likely a Taiwanese or Chinese repop. Maker is secondary. If it were mine I'd check the specs and if she's good build it and ride. if you're that concerned buy one ya like and ride.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Bare

#3 Post by Bare » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:05 pm

As above: Check carefully AND thoroughly.
Cheap a** cranks aren't usually very robust or durable.
That's WHY they are Cheap :-)
The new and increased loadings from 350 use will expose any inherent crankshaft failings.. V Quickly.

graham heise

#4 Post by graham heise » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks for the reply's gents. I suspected as much about the repop asian manufacture. I am going to pull it out and put it on the the v blocks and measure all the specs. I think it will be in spec as i believe the prior owners story to being a new crank and the bike in 250 guize was very smooth and without vibration even at sustained high revs. The dail guides and verneers will tell the story. I've found Yamaha cranks very robust even when worn and close to being out of spec to still do the job for street riding. I don't think i could put the same faith in a non oem crank.
yamaha fanatic.

T.RexRacing

#5 Post by T.RexRacing » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:29 pm

I don't know about Australia but an OEM Banshee crank is just over $400 US here in the States.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

graham heise

#6 Post by graham heise » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:09 am

Thanks trex. Yeah i have kept an eye on the oem crank through boats net who i have bought parts from before. The australian exchange rate has improved recently and i would like a new to get one. I best keep saving.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
yamaha fanatic.

T.RexRacing

#7 Post by T.RexRacing » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:17 pm

I'm willing to facilitate if you decide to buy new. I can give references in Australia and New Zealand of others I've helped. Gimme a shout if I can help.
Salvador Dali

graham heise

#8 Post by graham heise » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:22 am

Thank you Trex. I appreciate the offer. i wouldn't need to check any referances though as i know are the real deal You freely give good advice and information to other who wish to preserve and modify these fantastic old bikes. I have bought from boatsnet before who only charge 30 or so dollars freight if you spend more then $200 us regardless of size or weight. hopefully this is still the same when i have the budget for a new crank.
yamaha fanatic.

T.RexRacing

#9 Post by T.RexRacing » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:39 am

Cool. Be sure to post up some photos of the process.
Salvador Dali