Ducati clutch conversion

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

jaminj946

Ducati clutch conversion

#1 Post by jaminj946 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:06 pm

I started a project a few years back ( finally finished it recently see my other posts) and was trying to figure out if it was possible to adapt a Ducati dry clutch to an RZ motor. Think I seen a few posts where somebody was working on such a swap and maybe one that finished one using a one off longer mainshaft? I studied it a while and a one off main shaft sounded expensive and I thought why not just make the clutch hub longer to reach in to the stock main shaft. Tried a couple different avenues using a modified RZ hub and steels with a Ducati basket and friction plates. Didn't like the way the plates and steels looked together plus wanted to add the full number of plates from the Ducati, so ended up with a modified extended Ducati ( aftermarket ) hub and fab'd a longer hub nut that extended deeper into the hub. The final version works awesome save for tough to get neutral while running and stopped for some reason. Thinking just a bit of drag on the dry plates but can't feel it at all. Neutral while still moving slightly is no problem. I haven't figured how to post individual pics here but there's pics of the clutch parts in my photobucket here: http://s730.photobucket.com/user/jaminj ... how/Yamaha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

justind97

Re: Ducati clutch conversion

#2 Post by justind97 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:14 pm

That looks awesome!

There is a guy on here from Eastern Europe who sells the Ducati conversion with a custom main shaft. Last I checked the kit is about $2k US. I'd love one, but that's A LOT of money for a clutch..

How much money do you figure you have into your conversion?

jaminj946

#3 Post by jaminj946 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:50 pm

justind97 wrote:That looks awesome!

There is a guy on here from Eastern Europe who sells the Ducati conversion with a custom main shaft. Last I checked the kit is about $2k US. I'd love one, but that's A LOT of money for a clutch..

How much money do you figure you have into your conversion?

With the hours I have in it $2k is a bargain lol. The only hard money I have in it is the clutch itself and a a bit of aluminum stock. But I would have been way ahead to put those hours into a customers job and bought the conversion kit. I started this a few years back and don't think that kit was around then? But I look at my personal projects like I could be sitting in a bar drinking and wasting time or I could be in the shop creating something fun and being productive. ( And I can still toss a few beers back while doing it ;)

T.RexRacing

#4 Post by T.RexRacing » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Stunning work. Congratulations on a fine job.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

ststrider

#5 Post by ststrider » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:58 am

that is a work of art. well done.