who can i send my cylinder head to for o'ring mod

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

T.RexRacing

Re: who can i send my cylinder head to for o'ring mod

#16 Post by T.RexRacing » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:28 am

From what I remember the CoolHead chambers are not ideal for the RZ.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

tankslap

#17 Post by tankslap » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:02 am

viewtopic.php?t=15116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you seen this thread?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Questo vecchio rz

#18 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:15 pm

You can contact Scott Clough @SCR racing here http://home.earthlink.net/~scloughn/id1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's without question one of the best there is regarding portwork,and head modification.
Keep in mind, thst to do this optimally, it is not really as simple as buying a head and bolting it on your bike and expecting good results. There are various questions from the builder that need answering, to determine what your head requires for optimum operation. Yes Cool Heads work, as well as other designs such as Wicked billet. I personally know of a handful of folks running these for years, all are street bikes except for one of the cool heads on a RZ racebike. But Scott's head design will outperform any off the shelf unmodified bolt on head. His RD based portwork is legendary.

I also am weary if O ring head mods. From what I gave read here and in other sites over the years they have been less reliable than the standard gasket setup, Often leaking I'm with the previous post above, why invite many more areas for failure?

Ask yourself...Do you really need the O rings, or just a reliable reworked cylinder head.
Is your motor basically stock? And used on the street? If so you should realistically not have to remove your cylinder head, for thousands of miles no matter how you you ride it, in that case just have the squish set and be done with it and enjoy.

If you are running a performance engine & racing and want to remove your head often, then have at it, but I've read many a O ring failure in performance motors. IMO one failure is one too many.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

RZtuner

#19 Post by RZtuner » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Using a single O ring is not the right way. Depending on gasket sealant to seal the water jacket is just plain asking for trouble in my book. ......These guys in UK do it properly with the outer O ring.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/yamaha-ypvs-he ... 280e257472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everyone tries to outguess the factory, but the factory gasket is super reliable. The stock gasket compresses to 0.8mm, perfect squish, so it's easy to machine the chamber for correct squish/compression = bulletproof. I have been racing RZ's for 30+ years and have never had a stock gasket fail, but I have had O ring failures on TZs. All of the bonneville records were set using the stock gasket.
350 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World Landspeed record holder
500 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World record holder
350 Prod. AMA Bonneville National record holder
350 P-MG AMA Bonneville National record holder
AMA No.1plate holder x2
Pioneer- Motorsport Hall of Fame

Questo vecchio rz

#20 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:49 pm

RZtuner wrote: Everyone tries to outguess the factory, but the factory gasket is super reliable. The stock gasket compresses to 0.8mm, perfect squish, so it's easy to machine the chamber for correct squish/compression = bulletproof. I have been racing RZ's for 30+ years and have never had a stock gasket fail, but I have had O ring failures on TZs. All of the bonneville records were set using the stock gasket.
AMEN! 70,000+ miles on used & abused RZs since 1985..never had a problem..nor do I know anyone whom has.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

T.RexRacing

#21 Post by T.RexRacing » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:12 pm

The only gasket that failed on me was an Athena. Never an OEM.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

edgefinder

#22 Post by edgefinder » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:07 am

Its a good idea to lay a straight edge across cylinder tops before running without gasket. The head will flex a couple thousandths to close up gaps but don't push it. Measure cylinder lengths as they need to be the same. When assembling top end tighten head nuts before cylinder nuts, the metal to metal joint first then the gasketed joint.

RZtuner

#23 Post by RZtuner » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:55 pm

....... and then pray it doesn't leak!
350 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World Landspeed record holder
500 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World record holder
350 Prod. AMA Bonneville National record holder
350 P-MG AMA Bonneville National record holder
AMA No.1plate holder x2
Pioneer- Motorsport Hall of Fame

Vinpg

#24 Post by Vinpg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Driveline performance, he does not advertise this mod but has done it, comes with an inner o-ring and outer for water no sealant required.