who can i send my cylinder head to for o'ring mod

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

graham heise

who can i send my cylinder head to for o'ring mod

#1 Post by graham heise » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:42 pm

G'day. I'm looking for options to where i can get my rz350 cylinder head modified? I have 2 heads 31k y1 and 31k y2 heads that i want o'ringed and the squish bowl cut. I have read through all the posts about this mod and i have tried a few local engineer machine shops but no one is interested to do the job. I know slinger has a mill set up to do this and would be a good choice but from what i can gather he's busy doing outboards and there is the postage cost to and from canada. Has anyone in australia had this work done here? Who in the states does this work? Any advice would be appreciated.
yamaha fanatic.

graham heise

Re: who can i send my cylinder head to for o'ring mod

#2 Post by graham heise » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:48 pm

The y2 head on the right has detonation damage, would this be repairable when cut for squish band/ oring

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
yamaha fanatic.

graham heise

#3 Post by graham heise » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:48 pm

yamaha fanatic.

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#4 Post by Evans Ward » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:05 pm

Graham- I believe Ron Black of RB Designs in the Pacific Northwest US does this service. He's the one who rebuilt my YR1 crank and I highly recommend him. Great communication and full accessibility. Maybe others will pipe in with additional resources...
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

hondaror

#5 Post by hondaror » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:18 pm

That was likely a chunk of ring that did the damage.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

graham heise

#6 Post by graham heise » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:48 pm

thanks for the reply's. I had a look at rb designs good web site. lists rz head shaved and squish band cut at $140us plus shipping. the site does not list anything for o'ring mod to same head. In australia the price for a head gasket is around $70 and i've bought a few over the years. I like the idea of having it o'ringed so i can remove the head periodically to check bore and piston condition. i will send them an email to see if they can o'ring aswell.
yamaha fanatic.

T.RexRacing

#7 Post by T.RexRacing » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:25 am

Member Paul Baratakis is an Aussie who builds. I'd contact him for someone in Australia who'd be able to take care of the work. He currently has a thread in the custom builds/other bikes sub forum.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

graham heise

#8 Post by graham heise » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Had a reply from RB Designs. Sorry graham we longer ship outside the USA. Which did not answer my question if they O'ring the head as well. Hmmm. I know people in rhe states that can do the shipping.

yamaha fanatic.

GRA400C

#9 Post by GRA400C » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:03 am

I live local to Ron black and he o ringed my cylinders and a pair of cylinders for a customer of mine. You use sealant to seal up the water jackets.

Have a look at slinger. He o rings the head. Same thing really but o rings can fall out when installing the head.

Garrett

bitzz

#10 Post by bitzz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:37 am

Cleaning up and Oring'ing a head isn't exactly brain surgery on a rocket scientist. Any machinist worth his salt can do it.

Somebody is going to have to figure out the size and shape of the squish and away ya go.

graham heise

#11 Post by graham heise » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 pm

I have read all the threads on this forum and others about the process and whats involved. From what i understand slinger has a made a jig to hold the head as not all spark plug holes are centered. The only tricky part is getting the cc's and squish set as it may take a bit of time to re measure the bowl a few times. I have asked the so called engineer, machine shops local to me and only one said he could do it for around $700. I can buy a billet head with changable domes for less money. I'm getting to the point of frustration with this search as i have an engine on the bench finnished all bar the install of cylinder head. Anyway there must be someone who can do the job. Anyone live next to slinger that can do a bit of leg work for forum member? (drop of pick up post) i'll compensate for there trouble.

yamaha fanatic.

hondaror

#12 Post by hondaror » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:40 pm

Glyn can do it, but he likes to have a bunch of heads to do at the same time. Justifies the jig set-up time on the mill. He likes to do this in the winter months.
I have a few heads that I'd like to have done, but it may hav to wait until next winter for me, as I may be in school for 12 weeks this winter.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

RZtuner

#13 Post by RZtuner » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:23 pm

I cringe every time I hear of people wanting to do this mod! Relying on gasket sealant alone to seal the water jacket is just asking for trouble. I personally know one local guy who had his cylinders ported and the head duly O ringed in this manner and the motor blew all the coolant out as soon as he put it on the dyno for break-in. Immediate failure....Not nice! If you want to have a nice wedding, you don't want a lot of uninvited guests.

If you want to O ring the head, do it properly with large outer O rings to seal the water jacket. Otherwise you are much better off fitting a cool head with removable domes that have the proper O ring set-up.
350 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World Landspeed record holder
500 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World record holder
350 Prod. AMA Bonneville National record holder
350 P-MG AMA Bonneville National record holder
AMA No.1plate holder x2
Pioneer- Motorsport Hall of Fame

hondaror

#14 Post by hondaror » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:29 am

Glyn is one of the few that do this right. Not only does he o ring the head, he recites the domes for proper combustion chamber size, shape, and squish.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

graham heise

#15 Post by graham heise » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:07 am

thanks for your imput gents. i hadn't thought about the cool head untill you mentioned it rztuner. i've had a look on ebay and there is a listing for an rz350 coolhead with choice of domes for $370 aud delivered from the usa. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Design-C ... xyVLNS2E2N" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is not much more money then the v force4 reeds i bought recently. looking at the cool head it looks like the water inlet is different and the outlet has no thermistat housing is this correct. Has anyone used this head on an rz350 and if so what are the pro's and cons. can the domes be changed to suit a stroker crank aswell? Wickeds billet head looks to be the right fit without mods for around $500aud.
I would prefer to use the yamaha head but so far can't find a local machine shop that can do the job for a reasonable price. i can just have my head shaved to give me .9mm squish without touching the band or bowl cheaply and use a stock gasket but i'm hoping to optimise the whole engine package thats been put together. . . I think my option is to send my head to pro design to have the head milled for squish band etc and use gasket or buy billet head. otherwise wait for the canadian winter and send slinger 2 heads for machining.
yamaha fanatic.