Expansion chambers

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Guy L

Expansion chambers

#1 Post by Guy L » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:13 am

I am working on a project building a new track day toy. I am going to run a CBR600 chassis, and am installing a 521cc built banshee engine into it. My question/problem is exhaust. I can find expansion chambers for
RD/RZ 350-400, and can find some pipes designed for the large displacement engines that are designed to fit in the Banshee, that would be very difficult to adapt to this chassis. I am looking for standard down pipes that are designed for increased displacement. I have contacted Jim Lomas at JL and Graham Coker at Coker race products they both cannot help me. Is anyone running pipes on a machine with increased displacement that preform well? Or does anybody know someone who could build me a set of pipes? Thanks.

I am in the Seattle Washington USA area.
With the 02 CBR chassis I'm using there is nothing below the engine, so any down pipe configuration would be able to be adapted.
Last edited by Guy L on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

evan_calgary

Re: Expansion chambers

#2 Post by evan_calgary » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:33 am

There are pipes designed for the 421. With your setup you likely need custom pipes built. That displacement is not common. Neither is the chassis choice although you haven't provided much info there either.

Given the odd choice of chassis you likely need someone close that can actually see the room they have to work with. You haven't provided any location information either.

justind97

#3 Post by justind97 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:44 am

Shrear, Sheerar? Have you contacted him?

If he can't, Slinger may be willing to do the work. You would need to send him the entire chassis however.

(F5)

#4 Post by (F5) » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Graham designed that first kit for my 496. I got it as a kit and got it welded up here, but did have to fit to the bike as they are big diameter pipes on a small bike. 600 frame will give you a bunch more space.
But that was 10 rs ago, not sure if he's still making cones. Kinda fallen out of contact with him. Must contact him again see what he's up to.
496 Cheetah. TSS PVs, PWK35s, Ignitech, RGV(ish) chassis

hondaror

#5 Post by hondaror » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:22 pm

I assume, (never assume) that you are running the CBR frame because you have one? Why wouldn't you look for something narrower? SV650...that's what I'm going to attempt.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

Questo vecchio rz

#6 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:55 am

What are your intentions for your bike? Will it be a street bike, racebike, dragbike..or just a fun hobby?

Are you using the Banshee or the RZ transmission gearing ?

Is your frame a 600 or 600RR?

These descisons will dictate what pipe design you build. Your motors intended design and riding style are vast and will lay down a (real) 110-130 h.p. or more, so build your drivetrain to suit.

Regardless, if you want a pipe design that's optimized you are going to have to have to provide all engine port specs and desired the riding purpose(send your ( rolling chassis) bike to someone) as a rolling chassis with motor installed.

Everyone I think of that can do it, will likley have it for 3-6 months, and it will almost definitely cost with shipping at least $3000.00 . (Time is money). You'd have to talk to the pipe builder and even see if there willing to take your project on.
Names I think of are
1.) Brian Turfrey , in Oakdale, Nor Cal.
2.) Gary @ Spec 2. N Hollywood
3.) Shearer in Hespamria Calif.
4.) Kenny Roberts, (affiliated with BDT) custom pipe builder ATC & Banshees Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

Two of these guys do not suffer fools easily, and may not even want to take this on, there picky and if they don't actually like you.. might not do your project, as they don't need to and don't really care if you do or don't. Brian is a great guy, but beyond busy. He's doing 3 bikes RZ500,Gamna 500, Daytona Special for my friend. Each bike takes 2 years...or more..and $ to suit
Kenny Roberts and Shearer build primarily custom off road pipes for custom ATCs and Banshees, Their pipes are often built for high dollar ESR/Pro X/ CPI based cylinders. Roberts designed both my friends Big Bore ATC Honda 250R, & Kawasaki Tecate pipes, just so you know the pipes were $1500.00 each but work exactly as intended each ATC. Both are close to 70 h.p. for a single cylinder 370cc cylinder.

Outside of custom, you might have to buy a expansion Chambers cone kit or cut & Shut your own.

FYI, before you ask.. as Brian Turfrey was Kenny Roberts Factory Yamaha team pipe builder & mechanic.
The Kenny Roberts Listed above, is a totally different Kenny Roberts and no relation or affiliation to the World Champion. It's just a funny coincidence.

Good Luck
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500