Which pipes for a Canadian-Spec RD?

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

OldTZracer

Re: Which pipes for a Canadian-Spec RD?

#16 Post by OldTZracer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:26 am

Start with Spec IIs or Toomeys with the stock airbox. After that it becomes a question of just how much do you want to spend...
"...its a 2-stroke ya twit - Its supposed to smoke..."

Darrell

#17 Post by Darrell » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Hey Old TZ. Yeah, it always boils down to money, huh? I think I found a set of used Lectron Carbs, and I've just about convinced myself to order a set of Toomey pipes. The stock air box is long gone from this bike, I've got K&N pods on it, and they seem fine. I ran individual filters on my race bike long ago.
BTW, I've raced a TZ250 and a TZ500, waaaay back in the 80's. I bought a TZ750, but sold it before I ever raced it, but I practiced on it a couple of times before deciding my skill level was too low to survive on that thing!
89 Canadian Spec RD-350
2013 BMW R1200RT
2007 Harley XL1200C Sportster
2008 Ducati 1098R
2015 Gas Gas 300 Trials bike
1972 Turbo-Charged 240Z
Zastava Black Arrow .50 BMG

(F5)

#18 Post by (F5) » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:11 pm

The later model cdi signs off pretty hard just after peak. I put on one from an RZ250 RR ( some strange import) and it followed the curve on the dyno but over-rev curve dropped far more gentle.

These days I'd just run an Ignitech or a zeeltronics.
496 Cheetah. TSS PVs, PWK35s, Ignitech, RGV(ish) chassis

kenny

#19 Post by kenny » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:22 am

Darrell you have a PM

Questo vecchio rz

#20 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:23 pm

As far as your Lectrons go, great carbs. But remember your building a "street bike" not a race bike, my suggestion would be to keep your stock carbs, then add pipes one step at a time. The smaller factory carbs just work fantastic on the street, velocity combined with the V Force reeds...you've got a winner right there. As far as pipes go, there all different and deliver performance in different areas , it's where you want it delivered. That's entirely your choice,. As for me, that old saying " A billion Chinaman, can't be wrong" My preference is High revs,and the fastest accelerating setup over a 1/8 or 1/4 Mile, for me it's perfect for a super small displacement bike like a RZ...stoplight to stoplight fun! (My current RZ will differ from this as it is strictly a track day bike, me and my machine, vs nothing else, no other riders, definitely NOT racing.. just fun! ) .
You decide what kind of riding your after.
Harley's/ BMWs are the alltime stalwart greats for comfort and cruising, the RZ is pure "Hooligan". My RZ did the 1/4 Mile in the low 11s ..That's FAST for a daily ridden 375cc Spec 2 build, nothing but a full drag port w drag pipes or a Chettah cylinder bike would beat it. Whatever you do keep it simple as you go. 1 step at a time. And have fun.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Darrell

#21 Post by Darrell » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 pm

Thanks to all who offered opinions / advice. I've ordered a set of Toomey pipes, and will begin there and see where it leads me. I was interested to read on the Toomey website that the stock carburetors will flow twice as much air as the stock reeds and cages will, so no need to upgrade carbs at this point. I did order a set of Boyeson reeds, though, after looking at the V-Force offering. I may still go with V-Force, but as some of you have noted it makes sense to remember that this is a street bike, and a rarely-ridden one at that.
Anyone out there running the 26 mm power jet carbs with Toomey pipes? I'm thinking that the right place to begin with jetting is the Toomey recommendation less 60 for the PJ.
89 Canadian Spec RD-350
2013 BMW R1200RT
2008 Ducati 1098R
1972 Turbo-Charged 240Z

kenny

#22 Post by kenny » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:53 am

200-210 and test it bud thats with the pj too so total = 260-270

Zedixe13
-----
-----

#23 Post by Zedixe13 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Why don't you keep the stock pipes ? They are better than the 31K and the Toomey up to the red line . The Toomey will get you more HP but only at 10 000 rpm and beyond so what's the point ? The only drawback of the stock pipes is weight and they are much quieter and rideable than these aftermarket gimmicks IMO . Yamaha really did a good job in designing these pipes .

RZtuner

#24 Post by RZtuner » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:02 pm

Everyone trying to outguess the factory!

I had a chat with Toomey himself about 30 odd years ago, and he told me straight up that he copied the original "toomey" pipe dimensions directly from the stock Canadian F2 pipe..... the only advantage they have is a weight saving. From the looks of the DG pipe, they did the same. My good friend Darcy Zeigler won the West Coast Road-racing championship 600cc class on an RZ with STOCK PIPES! I myself have run a best one way of 132mph on stock carbs and pipes at Bonneville. What's not to like? Yikes! That's faster than the 350 MPS blown fuel record!

I had one guy chase my 350 production LSR record at Bonneville for 5 years, even resorting to cutting stock pipes apart (totally illegal) and welding a set of Toomeys inside!!! Didn't do him any good as the best he ever did was 114mph. Sorry, 16 mph short! Nothing wrong with the stock F2 pipe.
350 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World Landspeed record holder
500 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World record holder
350 Prod. AMA Bonneville National record holder
350 P-MG AMA Bonneville National record holder
AMA No.1plate holder x2
Pioneer- Motorsport Hall of Fame

Questo vecchio rz

#25 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:17 pm

What's all the worry with 10,000 RPM?There isn't any worry at all for this application as long as his crank is within tolerance, as it should be.
That's where all the funs at with the RZ It's a very small bike, it needs to hover there to perform. On all my RZs nor anyone I've ever known has ever had a issue with taking the RZ up to redline, by design it just happens to thrive there it's like saying hold a Honda CBR600RR to 11'500?? well under it's redline design. To me.. its just a silly notion. I know what works for me and all my RZ buds in a similar application.
Small displacement + high RPM =quickest RZ :smt023
Owners bike is a "pocket rocket" street bike , not a roadracer nor a top speed bike.
We should be quite honest here, The bike division champion did not win his championship due to his pipe selection, nor did the speed trial bike..there's far more to it than just bolting up a original pipe and claiming victory...seriouslly. Guys :smt002 :smt023
I've had stock Canadian pipes, ridden them back to back (swapped pipes)vs Toomeys and others, while a decent pipe, there definitely the slowest accelerating pipe choice vs the aftermarket selections And frankly there ugly & when compared to aftermarket pipes are incredibly heavy.

As far as the original design. Maybe at one point in time Toomey claimed that, but the Toomeys we're racers and tuners, that sounds like pit lane response if I ever heard one ,a pchyce out answer.
Likley along these lines.. "ain't getting my secrets". "Yeah that's right..it's all stock , Yes I just copied pipes, ITS ALL STOCK , that's the ticket!" :smt003
But a little more on the serious side Toomey as with their T series 1-6 Banshee pipes they have tweaked them many times over the years,on bikes and dynos to perform at their highest possible potential, for the application.
They are nothing like the OEM pipes ,not in any way.
The Toomey equipped bike will out perform the stock pipe on the road and in a acceleration contest, all day every day. The owner is going to be a happy camper.
I'm assuming or pretty sure from his posting he's alot like me, and most canyon racer's, he wants the:
(fastest point n shoot RZ), he can get. Small bike, relatively short exciting rides...big smiles.Just sayin, when he bolts up his pipes, drops to a 16 sprocket, adds his reeds to his already (better Canadian spec port heads) just keep it simple..he's gonna have a transformed bike. If he ever wants to have his head optimized, that would certainly help. But K.I.S.S, he has other bikes for speed and distance..he'll have fun on the RZ.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Darrell

#26 Post by Darrell » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:50 pm

I truly do appreciate all the input, and far be it from me to argue with a land-speed-record holder. Obviously he knows more about going fast than I do.

But part of the fun for me is trying to wring a little extra from the bike. I raced a fairly heavily modified RZ in the late 80's, and it was one of the faster bikes in the class, even with my big butt on it. My street bike isn't even in the same arena right now, and while I don't want to take it racing, or to have a light-switch power band, I do want it to surprise a few squids on their 600's. (I used to pass kids on 600's on my 80 FXS HD with my knee on the ground, but I'm old now.)

I found a set of used Spec II pipes, so I think I'll buy those as well. There's a local speed shop that I thought was purely cars, but the Dyno-jet website shows them as having a bike dyno. I'll stop and talk with them tomorrow, and if dyno time isn't stupidly expensive I'll take my RD in and have it dyno'd as it is (mostly stock), then again with each of the two pipes, just to see what happens.

I ride my RD on warm, sunny afternoons, which aren't too common 9 months of the year here in Washington. I just about never ride "to" somewhere, I ride it to go for a ride. Top speed isn't my goal, I want to keep my insurance reasonable, but I do like to whack it through the curves. Mostly I'm just having fun with it.
89 Canadian Spec RD-350
2013 BMW R1200RT
2008 Ducati 1098R
1972 Turbo-Charged 240Z

Questo vecchio rz

#27 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:59 am

Your gonna be just fine, biggest improvement will be from your pipes and a 16 front sprocket, or a +3 rear.
Gary's pipes do perform well, couldn't even begin to count how many race wins his Spec 2 pipes and for that fact Toomey delilvered to talented racers.

If you can score some reasonable dyno time to tune the carbs, you'd be styling, for a road bike, it's one of the best things you can do. Gary set my 1st RZ up on a Dyno, very few people had a Dyno in 1985, but he did. Everything he did was not just theory, but tested and proven I feel it makes a difference. But if you keep things close to stock, you honestly don't need to go there.

Hope , you keep us updated as you progress.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500