New to the forum With new RZ

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

CanadianRZ350

Re: New to the forum With new RZ

#16 Post by CanadianRZ350 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:38 am

Looking at your picture i have no doubt this was your tank.
the inside has a candy apple looking coating. looks like redkote?
look at paint mark im pointing at:

silverstrom

#17 Post by silverstrom » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:54 am

I edited my earlier post to say it wasn't the same tank but seeing that particular paint mark I guess it is.

That liner is very good quality. It would have been done by a radiator shop near Trenton. Their liners all look like that. Expensive to do, but that is as good as it gets for liners. You have no worries there. I never saw the bottom of that tank and have no idea what those areas are. I never removed the tank because I never owned the bike long enough. That isn't an area that is an issue with these tanks. It doesn't matter anyway. With that liner you are golden and won't have any issues at all. I know of plenty of tanks done by that shop and all are done very well. It may be Redkote. Nasty toxic stuff.

CanadianRZ350

#18 Post by CanadianRZ350 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:15 am

silverstrom wrote:I edited my earlier post to say it wasn't the same tank but seeing that particular paint mark I guess it is.

That liner is very good quality. It would have been done by a radiator shop near Trenton. Their liners all look like that. Expensive to do, but that is as good as it gets for liners. You have no worries there. I never saw the bottom of that tank and have no idea what those areas are. I never removed the tank because I never owned the bike long enough. That isn't an area that is an issue with these tanks. It doesn't matter anyway. With that liner you are golden and won't have any issues at all. I know of plenty of tanks done by that shop and all are done very well. It may be Redkote. Nasty toxic stuff.

That gives me confidence using this tank hearing that. i generally don't like the idea of a coated tank. I've been reading all the tank liner failures across all kinds of motorcycle fourms! lol.
but its mostly the Kreem brand failing that i have heard.

It was probably done by that rad shop, its called Bainer's Rad isn't it? (i did a quick search)
because from what i have gathered from reading online that RedKote hasn't been available for years and not sold in Canada. not 100% sure on that though.

My Father is good friends with a guy that owns a Car star location, he often does custom motorcycle paintwork and has won several bike shows with his work.
He offered to Do the labour for free, as long as i prep the tank and pay for the paint. I am going to have it matched to the rest of the body work.
so under $200 gets me a professional paint job and the correct OEM replica graphics from RDdecals

is there a certain paint code for this? i know its called Faraway blue.

silverstrom

#19 Post by silverstrom » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:43 am

It wasn't Bainer's in Trenton. The shop is in Bayside, just west of Trenton. Rapid Rad I think.

Whatever the liner is, I have never heard of one from that shop failing. They do a lot of prep before hand and know what they're doing. I know many guys who have had tanks done there, including Dave. Close to $200 I believe.

ColorRite Faraway Blue NG FWB use 5555 (00NJ)

The paint on your tank was ColorRite rattle can, but the guy ran out after only half a can. He wasn't impressed with only getting half a can. We had a good laugh over it. Also, he didn't spray the base colour, so the blue doesn't come through properly.

At this point you're better off polishing some good bodywork and doing a colour match scan. That way it will all look the same. If you spray the tank with fresh FWB 00NJ it's going to make the rest look dull. The ColorRite stuff is obscenely expensive.

RDdecals is the best. I have a shelf full of Marks decals and use them for all of my restorations. He's up near Peterborough.

CanadianRZ350

#20 Post by CanadianRZ350 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:22 pm

Thanks for the info

Yes i will be giving my paint guy a piece of bodywork to do a color match and he'll do the rest from there.