XZ550 Vision

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

waltmil

XZ550 Vision

#1 Post by waltmil » Sun May 22, 2016 11:35 am

Well, I finally hauled/towed my old Vision from the barn to the shop. It had been sitting since the redcoat tank liner dissolved and deposited itself in the carbs. I bought this bike new in '83 and it is the main reason I didn't buy a RZ in '84. Okay, so that was a mistake. Anyway I am nothing if not loyal. These bikes had/have a multitude of problems but it is a very nice ride when working properly. I did an 800 mile day on mine in 1985. I also had an FZ750 at that time but chose the Vision for the trip and it was not a mistake.
The bike sat for several years due to the occurrence of several of the aforementioned problems but I got it back on the road again in 2003. I rode it for several years along with a TDM850 I got after I retired the first time. But I returned to work after a little over a year. Those contractor dollars were too good to pass up, but the bikes started getting neglected. I was riding only on the odd weekend off. Long story a little shorter, both bikes are non runners. So I found the RZ. Now I am retired for good, it is bike time. I am near where I want to be mechanically with the RZ but I like to have a bike to ride so I am working on the Vision before doing appearance stuff on the RZ.
First are the carbs. They are unique to the Vision and I don't know if I can get them rebuilt. I have a set of carbs off an FZR600 and have been working on adapting them to fit. If I can get them to fit I will have to get the jetting figured out. I have an electric fuel pump that I am going to try also.
Then there is the front fork. The stock fork is kind of an odd duck as it has a trailing axle. That is not really a problem, it's just a little funny looking but the fork legs are just 35mm, same as the RZ. It's not really adequate for a bike that is a hundred pounds heavier. I have a set of forks from a 650 Seca Turbo that are 36mm that I am going to try. I have to be careful though as I really don't want to screw up the geometry. Yamaha didn't use the trailing axle for looks.
Red/White US '84, Spec II pipes, Y-boot w/K&N, Fox Shock, Mikuni carbs?

wolfman

Re: XZ550 Vision

#2 Post by wolfman » Sun May 22, 2016 1:37 pm

Post up some pictures of both bikes !
84 RZ350 Spec II boost ports shaved head
Y boot 29mm PWKs billet manifold TDR Reeds Spec II pipes
Fox twin clicker JMC Braced swing arm
Tarozzi fork brace
Brembo 19 RCS Master ss lines blue spots EBC Vees
Spec 2 Full Fairing factory Solo Cowl

Zedixe13
-----
-----

#3 Post by Zedixe13 » Sun May 22, 2016 2:26 pm

You could still get these brand new for $1500. here as late as 1990 . A friend of mine got one and they were nice bike with great torque at low speed , I had the chance to buy that same bike in 1998 ago but instead I bought his girlfriend's Honda CBX550 .

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#4 Post by Evans Ward » Sun May 22, 2016 3:35 pm

There was one of these listed on the ATL craigslist a few weeks ago as a parts bike at a cheap price. Looked intact.
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

waltmil

#5 Post by waltmil » Sun May 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Visions are probably worth more whole with title than parted out. Kind of a limited demand and parts are fairly plentiful except for specifics like carbs. Like RZs, they have problems with rusty fuel tanks. I have a NOS tank for mine.

waltmil

#6 Post by waltmil » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:33 am

Got some more done on the Vision. Got the old carbs off and trying to figure how to fit the new ones. I will have to use some type of adapter to raise the carbs. I think I have it figured out but I have to find some pipe to fit. If I ever get the photo thing figured out I will post some.

wolfman

#7 Post by wolfman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:49 pm

Nice, you can join photobucket for free, upload photos and copy the html and paste into your post.
Tarozzi fork brace

waltmil

#8 Post by waltmil » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:49 am

Still no photos on here but I got the Vision running yesterday, first time in years. There is still quite a lot to do but where there is life there is hope.

wolfman

#9 Post by wolfman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:50 pm

Nice, glad to see some things work out.
Tarozzi fork brace

Hellgate

#10 Post by Hellgate » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:53 pm

Visions clean up well if you can get the stator not to fry, and of you can clean all of the red casting sand out of the cards.

Check the Factory Pro Web site for carb details.
Cheers!

Pete

'12 Tuono V4R APRC, '05 R6, '88 RZ350, '82 XV920R

waltmil

#11 Post by waltmil » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:17 pm

I have been working on this for about 3 months now and I have it running on the FZR carbs and plan to take it for a ride tomorrow. I did richen the jetting due to perceived issues when I was just getting it to run. I am starting to get excited about this upgrade and I know where I need to be to consider it a success.

Hellgate

#12 Post by Hellgate » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:08 pm

Let us know how it rides.
Cheers!

Pete

waltmil

#13 Post by waltmil » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:25 am

I will do that. If you want to see photos, visit the Riders of Vision site, General board, '83 Mods thread. I can directly attach photos to posts on that site.
Got my first ride with the FZR carbs and I am amazed. The bike ran very well, no sputtering or Vision stumble. I just did rough calculation or WAG, whichever you prefer and I am very pleased with it. I went to 130 mains, 75 starter jet and 40 pilots. Stock FZR fixed needles and emulsion tubes. The great thing about it is how tolerant they seem to be. The original Vision carbs have accelerator pumps and nozzles that can get out of adjustment plus the vacuum air box inlet flapper and extreme sensitivity to dirt plus they are very difficult to access. Any problem with any one can cause the dreaded Vision stumble.
If I had any problems with the ride it would be that I have gotten used to riding the RZ and it felt like the Vision's steering head was frozen, it isn't and the brakes need help. I have a set of Continental Classic Attack radials which should help the steering and I might get some brake adapters and install the blue spot calipers I already have.

Hellgate

#14 Post by Hellgate » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:30 pm

Great to hear the FZR carbs are working.

I had an '82. It was really a great bike aside from the stumble and shaft jacking.

Back the I installed Avon Venoms, they really enhanced the handling.

Sounds like you're on the right path.
Cheers!

Pete

waltmil

#15 Post by waltmil » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Obviously you know about Vision stumble. Did yours have the vacuum air box flapper update? Many didn't get it and suffered accordingly. The '83s had the flapper OEM and a damping adjustable shock which helped with the shift drive jacking and it has been a pretty good bike, when the carbs are right. Now that I have the carbs solved, I can move on to the forks and brakes.