RD then RZ ride to/fm Box Hill - comparison ride.

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

LC Cnd
-----
-----

RD then RZ ride to/fm Box Hill - comparison ride.

#1 Post by LC Cnd » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Ride a long commentary to Box Hill Sussex. Interesting to see riding on the left side for a change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxYlPtZeCM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our rider/guide then switched to a RZ on the way out. Some differences - loved both bikes. Would have been interested in a comparison regarding the power band rush. Understand the RD is a bit more of a jolt. Good day for a ride in old Blighty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHUoYM0Hkrc&t=8s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JonW

Re: RD then RZ ride to/fm Box Hill - comparison ride.

#2 Post by JonW » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:36 pm

Agree it would have been nice if he talked about the differences, I think it was more just enjoying the ride. Looked like a nice day out.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

Hooligan

#3 Post by Hooligan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:58 pm

I have both an LC and an F2 RZ.

While they are in lots of ways similar, they are also very different. The LC is more work to ride fast. The motor doesn't make as much power but the power band is more sudden. With only 45 HP its not like the thing rips your arms off but you def feel the bike come on the pipe hard. Handling and brakes are nowhere near as good as the RZ. The LC always feels a bit like it has a rubber hinge in the middle and tends to wallow around a bit in fast corners. Seating position wise, the LC is an upright street bike that is not at all designed for a racers tuck.

The RZ is way easier to go fast on. It just takes less effort. It also feels more like a race bike than the LC. I like the LC power band rush so I adjust the power valves to open early. However I did test ride a bike a few years ago that had virtually no power band rush. The power curve was flat like a 4-stroke. Personally I thought that was dull. At speed the RZ steers and handles better and is easier to tuck behind the bars. The rubber hinge feeling is gone which makes high speed corners a lot less stressful.

I started on an LC and so thats where my heart lies. However it is impossible to deny the RZ is a better bike. Thankfully prices these days means we don't have to choose between the two. :)
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#4 Post by LC Cnd » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:39 pm

Appreciate your insight on the preformance value. There is also the aesthetic. Just learnt about Yamaha's philosopy of
分譲マンション or "Condo". I think the RD has it over the RZ - hence the attraction. Others will differ no doubt. It is explained in this Discovery Channel episode of "Twist of the Throttle". Link:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... x4aVfbORHw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The series also covers off Kawi/Suzuki/Honda's beginings also. Interesting how they all approached motorcycling manufacturing. I get the "Condo" styling points as the other manufactures appear to copy Yamaha's dynamic design flow since the intro of the R1. It amazes me that the RD's Condo curvature (and noise) still attracts attention. Epic - as noted in the Yammer-Howling thread 'Public Reaction riding the 2 strokes?' antidotally states.

The Suzuki/Kawi stories tie for 1st place regarding pts of interest; Yamie/Honda close 2nd. Interesting how these 4 came out of the hundreds of Japanese motorized bike manufactures following WW2 to end up on top.