So Crutchlow is going to Ducati...

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

nokturnal
-----
-----

So Crutchlow is going to Ducati...

#1 Post by nokturnal » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:32 pm

I hope they pull their finger out.
:smt017

This old RZ

Re: So Crutchlow is going to Ducati...

#2 Post by This old RZ » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Yep, BIG money, if you cant win, which you realistically cannot on a non factory machine, then better to take the " payday" Hes quite aggressive, and I think he might be able to do a little better than Dovi or Hayden, but the bike is what the bike is. Nothing like the machine Casey Stoner rode or was able to ride. The Ducati for this year and the last few has been a total underperforming machine,not too far up the grid than the CRT bikes, that should be embarrassing to them.
Perhaps BIG changes are coming :smt017 Even Dovi says publicly that the bike is a non competitive machine in each and every category... So you have Rossi, ben Spies, Nicky Hayden, Andrea and all the other Ducati riders saying the same exact thing,.......is someone finally listening there????
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

tobster

#3 Post by tobster » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:06 pm

but throwing money at it does not necesarily solve problems. I fear Crutchlow will come away with a healthy bank balance but nothing else in two years time. I think the CRT, specifically Espargarot, is getting too close for comfort to Ducati = mega embarasing. And it uses an Aprilia engine!!! Double shame.
I hope he has a get out clause after one year

Hooligan

#4 Post by Hooligan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:41 pm

And he was sooooo close to pulling out a win. He better get one in the bag this year cause that ain't gonna happen next year. I suppose the big fat paycheque is nice but I honestly thought he was looking to win.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

NJRZ350

#5 Post by NJRZ350 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Hooligan wrote:And he was sooooo close to pulling out a win. He better get one in the bag this year cause that ain't gonna happen next year. I suppose the big fat paycheque is nice but I honestly thought he was looking to win.
As well as he's been doing I really thought he would stay where he's at, but I guess money is always the ultimate motivator.

This old RZ

#6 Post by This old RZ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:04 pm

I"ve read as you have probably, Crutchlow is making about $325.000 US dollars a year..In MOTO GP :smt011

THAT SUCKS! that's probably 75% less than Mat Mladin , earned when he raced in the US and racked up 7 AMA titles, Hell Nicky Hayden I'm sure made more than that here over a decade ago in AMA. That's no where enough money, to risk your life and limb and lifelong injuries, which he has already sustained. If that's all there is in MOTO GP, which seems to be the case then take it. Colin Edwards has for over a decade now...lol :smt002 I'm sure hes not worring about retirement accounts. If you are not on a factory Honda or Yamaha...your just not going to pull it off. The Japanese were not too happy with what Ducati was able to pull off with Casey Stoner, they went to school and look what happened, their machines have really progressed far beyond what they were a handful of years ago, But they also have riders who are unlike any others, Cruthclow was and is showing some signs of competiveness too bad, but it is his own doing, The Japanese do not like big mouths, and he has been rather brash and insulting toward the Yamaha factory. I used to think Americans were cocky & mouthy...the Brits have that covered rather well. They say that Moto 2 contracts were already inked and signed, but you know that's BS. He really should have toned it down ,hell its only 1/2 way through the season right now,and they already made up their minds? ...yea right :smt002
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

Badass

#7 Post by Badass » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Wow lots of interest in this guy going to Duckland, lets call it Duck Dynasty! lol. Bad move from Crutchy imo. Health is everything and this bike might be bad for his health! Please Ducati make a steel frame for that bucket of bolts, ditto on the new 1199. Be different, everyone uses aluminum! lol
Two strokes keep the mosquito's in check!!
1984RZ350 Bought with 2,600 mi. in 1998
SpecII Pipes, Complete engine rebuild, 30's, S. 1 Porting, Clutch, Self ported reed cages, T.D.R. reeds, Fork brace, Steering damper.

waltmil

#8 Post by waltmil » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Cal probably got tired of racing Dovi for third or fourth last year when they were both with Tech III. Next year he can ride with him again on the Duc but they will be fighting for seventh.
Red/White US '84, Spec II pipes, Y-boot w/K&N, Fox Shock, Mikuni carbs?

This old RZ

#9 Post by This old RZ » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:37 am

waltmil wrote:Cal probably got tired of racing Dovi for third or fourth last year when they were both with Tech III. Next year he can ride with him again on the Duc but they will be fighting for seventh.

If Ducati doesn't solve their bikes issues, they might even be worse than 7th position on the grid. as Honda and Yamaha are both going to supply complete bikes and engines to privateer teams, thats only bad news for Ducati. Honda has such a huge development advantage with their engine , its almost not worth doing battle, if you cant beat them, join them. :smt009

mkane

#10 Post by mkane » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:23 pm

$325,000 for racing. Seems plenty enough.

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#11 Post by aaronmvrider » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:55 pm

no way.... life on the line stuff... more dollars for a front runner
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

This old RZ

#12 Post by This old RZ » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:01 pm

mkane wrote:$325,000 for racing. Seems plenty enough.
Yea for you or I, that's not a bad years earnings. If we were even remotely talented enough to ride that fast, even if I could I wouldn't, the life long injuries sustained by these guys are not worth the risk to me at any price, kinda like fire fighting...Uh.. No thanks :smt002

That kind of pay rate, is not on par with his riding ability. Lorenzo makes about 15-20 million dollars, Valentino Rossi about the same , each earns another 15 million in endorsements as well maybe a little more. Mat Mladin, when he raced here for Yoshimura was reportedly earning 6 figures on AMA superbikes! So Cal is easily worth more than 1/3 of a million a year, based on his ability .

These pale in comparison to other sports, F1 salary is almost 2xs the MOTOGP scale, Tiger Woods earned over 100 million this year...Id take a decent career in Golf any day over MOTO GP,and buy myself virtually any toy I could imagine, while literally taking a stroll in the park!

He will make a good living at Ducati, He is super frugal and doesn't spend lavishly. He's rather humble when it comes to his earnings and is aware of the career and pitfalls of a motorcycle racer, more often than not its about a 5 year carrer at the top then its ...over. So 2 years at Ducati, with his attitude will probably ensure his future retirement will be safe and manageable, barring injury. He has a pretty good sports agent, they took a shot at Yamaha, but they didn't bite, so they went the next best deal..its a job for them, not a hobby or a passion.

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#13 Post by aaronmvrider » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:42 am

ducati ... next best deal ... are you for real....

sometimes you type a load of it..... i wasnt aware you were his financial controller and in charge of his expenses....

how would you know what he spends his super frugal dollars on..... please give me a break
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

This old RZ

#14 Post by This old RZ » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:08 am

aaronmvrider wrote:ducati ... next best deal ... are you for real....

sometimes you type a load of it..... i wasnt aware you were his financial controller and in charge of his expenses....

how would you know what he spends his super frugal dollars on..... please give me a break

Fuck mate, its not like the little guy is my a drinking buddy or a neighbor for Christ's sake :smt005 ...all this info is out there for anyone to read...Interviews etc.. in Performance Bike, Roadracing World magazine and .com, Superbike Planet and several other publications

I read it I typed it. I have read several articles and interviews of Crutchlow, the words are from the horses mouth, as well as comments regarding his sports agent. he talks openly about , being frugal and not partaking in the "lifestyle". And that's he only slurged on a single luxury, I believe it was a car, and the fact that he wants to secure his financial future for his family asap as the career of a racer is generally....short. Those are the facts :smt002

What your beef ? I read everything I come across regarding racing etc..So what. You would have read the same stuff...since you didn't, So you could kindly get F off my back [smilie=dunno.gif] Your kinda fuckin heavy :smt002 :smt003

Care to debate???? How would Ducati...NOT be a great financial deal for him..it s the the best deal he was going to get. There were no viable opportunities for him in MOTO GP, Yamaha certainly didn't want him. That's all been in the open for the past 6 months due in part to his biting the hand that feeds him. I stand by the opinion that Ducati was by far the best financial deal they could have formed.

I suppose Nicky Hayden, Valentino Rossi and Ben Spies and Dovisioso, Carlos Checa and even your Casey Stoner & Troy Bayliss.....also didn't make good on financial deals, by going to Ducati...lol. Ducati pays quite well for talent.

I'm getting ....real now :smt002 :smt023

kenny

#15 Post by kenny » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:47 am

The point is if he goes to the uncompetative Ducati team and does nothing special his career in the big league could be short lived and unsuccessful.