1 hr video Daytona 200 & YZRs and Kenny Roberts

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

This old RZ

1 hr video Daytona 200 & YZRs and Kenny Roberts

#1 Post by This old RZ » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:43 am

Great Enjoyable old television coverage video. Kenny Roberts 1983 with Eddie Lawson and other great racers from the day. Watch Americas greatest racer Lawson and 2nd greatest Roberts tear it up. Those bikes were rocket ships .. Yamaha and Honda always delivered special "Daytona" racebikes ..some things never change :smt005 Daytona was awesome then..now it just sucks :smt012

http://superbikeplanet.com/2012/Mar/120314a.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

T.RexRacing

Re: 1 hr video Daytona 200 & YZRs and Kenny Roberts

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Let's see Lawson do this.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Red9

#3 Post by Red9 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Yeah.
Going to have to disagree with your ranking order. :smt018

RuZty
-----
-----

#4 Post by RuZty » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:05 am

T.RexRacing wrote:Let's see Lawson do this.
"I haven't ridden a motorcycle in a year" (to Edwards)

"I've got my bone doctor on standby"

...then sideways into the very first corner.

The look on Rossi's face trackside said it all.

Awesome.

This old RZ

#5 Post by This old RZ » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:51 am

Statistically speaking Lawson has a significant ranking edge over Roberts. Roberts came oh so close to equaling Lawson's 500cc championships and many other significant victories, but as is racing bad luck "Freddie Spencer" and mechanical failures prevented him from achieving it.. But he was a pioneer for the decade of American riders whom followed him.
Its hard if not impossible to compare different eras, especially when road racing during Roberts era was so convoluted going from F1 to the new formats, and changes in the AMA programs as well.
Roberts charisma it head and shoulder's above Lawson and the end result of what he did for the sport is unmatched by any rider before or since. Take 4-5 of those costly mechanical failures away..and history would be different..but that's racing.

If it about statistics LAWSON wins hands down, if its a sentimental heart :smt049 its all ROBERTS. Either way each was a great champion followed by Rainey and Schwantz...and finally by Kenny Roberts Jr!! . Probably the last time any of us will ever see another American world champion in our lifetime

Lawson: 2 X AMA SUPERBIKE CHAMPION KAWASAKI 1000cc superbikes....YES ! Kawasakis, remember those?
2 X AMA 250 GP CHAMPION KAWASAKI 250 cc 2 stroke
4 X 500cc WORLD CHAMPION 84,86,88 YAMAHA YZR 500
1989 HONDA NSR 500 1st rider to win consecutive titles with different manufacturer!
GAVE CAGIVA THEIR 1ST WIN IN 500cc GP CAGIVA FACTORY WORKS 500cc 2 stroke
SUZUKA 8hr, JAPAN WINNER 1990 YAMAHA OWO1 factory works bike
2 x DAYTONA 500 CHAMPION 1986 YAMAHA FZ750 works and 1993 YAMAHA Works YZR750 "came out of retirement to win the race'
31 GP 500 VICTORIES, 78 PODUIMS

ROBERTS: 2X GRAND NATIONAL WINNER YAMAHA
3 X 500cc WORLD CHAMPION 78,79, 80 YAMAHA 500 cc 2 stroke
3X DAYTONA 500 CHAMPION YAMAHA 2-stroke
Various early 70s transatlantic victories
1 single race in 75 :smt005 ....the TZ750 flat tracker if there ever was a crazy victory..that was it.

24GP WINS , 44 PODIUMS

Last edited by This old RZ on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

T.RexRacing

#6 Post by T.RexRacing » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 am

Sure whatever dood. Long live The King.

There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

reddog952
-----
-----

#7 Post by reddog952 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:11 pm

T.RexRacing wrote:Let's see Lawson do this.
Haven't seen this one in a while, thanks for posting. Still gives me goosebumps everytime!
1984 RZ350 - 421cc Athena Kit , V-Force III, 34mm Keihin's, K&N's, Billet Intake, Wicked Pipes

Red9

#8 Post by Red9 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:14 am

T.RexRacing wrote:Sure whatever dood. Long live The King.

+1 :smt041

This old RZ

#9 Post by This old RZ » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:27 am

Changing of the guard, Roberts in a way...doesn't look amused..lol Kinda like Rossi and Lorenzo...one is faster..but no where near the "legend" Im still a huge Lawson fan, more my generation sort of at least when I was old enough to ride, and I saw him race and win in person @ Laguna and Willow

T.RexRacing

#10 Post by T.RexRacing » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:57 am

Did ya miss where Kenny Roberts is referred to as King Kenny by legions?
Salvador Dali

This old RZ

#11 Post by This old RZ » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:48 pm

No not at all :smt023 , even referenced above as "legend" Hes the reason I bought a RZ, when I was 17...good marketing by Yamaha. I wouldn't have bought it if it was a Randy Mamola or Barry Sheene special..only due to Roberts accomplishments did most of us in America...know what GP racing was.

I so desperately wanted a Eddie Lawson Replica...real bad in 1983/ 1984...No way I could afford one of those big bad green machines bikes then :smt005

King Kenny Roberts was the 1st American to win it...and ended up with a total of 3 titles.
Quickly surpassed by Lawson with 4 titles ,
Then his 3 matched by Rainey...
Along came Mick Doohan with 5 consecutive titles.!!.

Then Rossi with 6 titles

The title "King" was totally appropriate in 1984! especially for a American. He will always be a sentimental pionnering hero to the masses.. As far as titles....All walk in the shadow of Giacomo Agostini with his unsurpassable titles. Its tough to really compare different eras advancing riding skills and machinery always make the next generation superior

T.RexRacing

#12 Post by T.RexRacing » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Faster isn't necessarily superior.
Salvador Dali

Red9

#13 Post by Red9 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:21 pm

T.RexRacing wrote:Faster isn't necessarily superior.
I agree.
Just ask my wife... :smt031

Different generations develop a different skill set demanded by the machinery.
Slipper clutches, traction control, ABS, advances in construction strength, tires, less abrupt power delivery.

I hate to say it because I really have no racing experience but it just seems to me that anyone who had to do it the
old fashioned way, had to do it. I know riding my RZ quickly and well, as opposed to anything modern I have ridden,
requires quite a bit more of my imput and awareness.

Would that not be even more of a requirement for those who rode/ride them at extremes?

This old RZ

#14 Post by This old RZ » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Red9 wrote:
T.RexRacing wrote:Faster isn't necessarily superior.
Different generations develop a different skill set demanded by the machinery.
Slipper clutches, traction control, ABS, advances in construction strength, tires, less abrupt power delivery.

I hate to say it because I really have no racing experience but it just seems to me that anyone who had to do it the
old fashioned way, had to do it. I know riding my RZ quickly and well, as opposed to anything modern I have ridden,
requires quite a bit more of my imput and awareness.
Yea try to remember doing it on our RZs after riding a modern machine...its laughable. skinny Bias ply tires, wobbles, desperately trying to exeed 120 mph, top heavy handling :smt022 Some how we got it done.

I have ridden a friends cbr1000rr and the handiling is well....mind altering close to 200 h.p. almost the same weight it feels like a tricycle between your legs, like it can do anything..far more than virtually any rider can demand from it on the street.
I must disagree with power delivery and the need to control..IMO the newer machines are BRUTAL, and so awfully fast you really have to have enhanced ability and extreme care when riding fast..hell they go faster in 1st gear than 90% of the RZs out there..its dangerous if you don't respect what they can deliver. I thought my 140 h.p FZR was fast..not even close to the new bikes..not even on the same planet..I honestly don't think I could survive on one..seriouslly

Newer younger riders are ..better riders, more skills and better machinery pretty much mandate it..shit you got KIDS doing backflips 50' in the air on Motocross machines these days..When I was young..just jumping alone or attempting a double ..you were dong pretty good.
Its amazing watching what people are capable of now.

When you watch the old racers an the machinery Roberts,Hannah ,De Coster etc..or even lets say EVIL KENEVIL on a 400 +lb Harley Davidson with twin shocks doing what he did....stupid,crazy as hell yes...but ..BIG RESPECT..BIG BALLS...BIG TALENT.
They were at the time beyond the capability of the machines..now its a role reversal

T.RexRacing

#15 Post by T.RexRacing » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:39 pm

This old RZ wrote:Newer younger riders are ..better riders, more skills and better machinery pretty much mandate it
That may be the case for you.........however you are the only one you can speak for definitively. I know it's just "the 'net" but as always I rarely get passed. Those who do backflips and such are a minority as are/was Bubba Blackwell,Knievel,Rainey,Carr and Cal Rayborn et al. Among the mortal riders I am in the top 5% so speak for yourself.

And I reiterate Long Live The King.
Salvador Dali