Rider or Marque

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

solo 2

Rider or Marque

#1 Post by solo 2 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:25 pm

Marque not Marquez. I've been on a lot of forums for quite a while now and have noticed how people are so dedicated to one brand of bike, sometimes to the point that they seem comically uneducated about bikes in general. As another MotoGP season is upon us I wanted to ask "Do you cheer for a certain rider regardless of what he rides or do you cheer for a brand no matter who is in control".

I tend to cheer for a specific rider, King Kenny and Eddie Lawson were my heroes when I was younger. I now have a great interest in Marc Marquez, he has made watching MotoGP entertaining for me again, I also have no problem with Valentino Rossi winning more as an old underdog now. I've never cheered for a back marker so maybe I just like the winning Heroes, jumping band wagons or is it because I've never cheered for just one brand of bike no matter who's on it. I find this a lot with the Ducati crowd and I have to admit I like the idea of Ducati winning to spite Honda, although I'm not sure I could stomach the "Ducati is greatest" crowing.

So what is your perspective.

hondaror

Re: Rider or Marque

#2 Post by hondaror » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:21 pm

As a fellow racer, I tend to cheer on a rider. I'm not sure if I like the pressure of watching the favourite try to win or the underdog break on through. I have never followed MotoGP, but with Hooligan's tie to Abraham, I must say I'm interested in him now. I am a Dr. fan, but knew of him back in the 250 days, so the transition of him climbing the ranks was natural.
I always liked Mamola, forever a non champ. But when he hopped to Cagiva, I knew he was the underdog and hoped he'd do something for them. I was impressed with Spencer winning both titles the same year.

I only like Yamaha for the RZ350s, most reliable economical 2-stroke out there. Great bang for the buck. I liked my TZs as well, but they were very expensive to maintain. I was a huge Suzuki fan when the RMs were introduced in the 70s, Roger Decoster. I raced a Kawasaki in 1981, but dealer network sucks. I then went back to Suzuki, and jumped to Honda in 1983 and never looked back from then on with regards to motocross. I always liked the Yamaha RZs. I loved the Suzuki GSXR line in 1985 onwards, but I did not fit on them very well. The tank cut in to my legs. The problem of a 6'4.25" rider. I just prefer the RZs. Not a brand devotee, except for cars. BMW.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

T.RexRacing

#3 Post by T.RexRacing » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:51 pm

For me- Moto GP it's rider-MX/SX rider- SBK it's marque.

F1-Ferrari first. If Ferrari isn't going to win there's a couple drivers I like that aren't driving red cars.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Hooligan

#4 Post by Hooligan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:29 pm

I pretty much always cheer for a rider. I have cheered for a couple of "back markers" because I got to know them and it is always nice to cheer for someone you are friendly with. I met Miguel Duhamel back in '92 when he was riding the Banco Yamaha France YZR500. We also cheered for him when he was running AMA SBK. Currently I am watching Karel Abraham closely as well.

Of all the bikes I have owned, the vast majority have been Yamaha but I never specifically thought of myself as a Yamaha guy. It is just the bikes I liked tended to be Yamaha's. I have owned 1 Kawasaki, 1 Honda, 1 Suzuki, 1 Aprilia, 1 Husqvarna, 1 Gas Gas and at least 9 Yamaha's. :) Of the 6 bikes currently in our garage, five of them are Yamaha and the one that isn't (the Gas Gas) has a Yamaha motor.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

solo 2

#5 Post by solo 2 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:27 am

T.RexRacing wrote:For me- Moto GP it's rider-MX/SX rider- SBK it's marque.

F1-Ferrari first. If Ferrari isn't going to win there's a couple drivers I like that aren't driving red cars.
In F1 I was a "anybody but Schumacher" fan. Ruined the sport for me and a lot of others, I haven't watched it since grooved tires.

T.RexRacing

#6 Post by T.RexRacing » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:40 pm

Then you're missing out.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

mkane

#7 Post by mkane » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:31 pm

I would like to see someone different win each weekend, be it cars or bikes.

T.RexRacing

#8 Post by T.RexRacing » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:42 pm

At that level it's never happened. Surtees,Clark,Hill(both of 'em),Fangio,Senna,Villeneuve ( Boo),Shumacher,Vettel,ect. At the top the cream always rises. Every one in a while you get what F1 had last year. Don't see it continuing for 2015. They're strong but others have gotten a handle on the power unit. Well most of 'em. :D
Salvador Dali