Local Racing

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

hondaror

Local Racing

#1 Post by hondaror » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:25 am

I headed out Sunday morning to the local race track to watch some racing. What kind of racing, you might ask? Ah, maybe you won't ask at all.
My friend Steve, a member here, told us a couple of weeks ago, he went drag racing, and that he happened to win one of the two classes that he ran in. I went to see him do his new thing. I had never been to Castrol raceway, and that's where he was headed.
I arrived at the track and informed the gate that I was here as part of the #350 team. I went in, tagged and found the crew. The crew, was an ex coworker, tech inspector for the organization, my old boss, not to be confused with "old" boss, the race director for the organization, and Steve. Not only did I meet up with these guys, but I also knew 4 or 5 other racers, met up with another crew member from another team, who I went to school with through the winter...and another forum member, Reg, appeared shortly after texting me to find out if I was planning on going to the races. I told him that I was already here.
I have not been to the drag races for about 45 years. I used to go watch the funny cars when I was 10 and under. I was back, to watch, and I knew half a dozen guys running. Plus the significant others of a couple of these guys who were there. Holy crap, what a social event. Well, Steve raced, so did Cay and Rob, another Steve we know. Greg tried to run but broke down on the line, and my ex boss Don made a pass on his stretched triple. There were a couple of rain delays, but overall a great day. Reg and I had a good time watching and visiting. There were a couple of trips to the concession, because, I like to eat. During the rain delays, Reg and I walked over to the circuit grand stands and watched the bikes doing laps. There happened to be another person I know there as well.
The racing community is rather small, but the people within are huge, they live large. It's a friendly atmosphere and people, total strangers, will engage with you when approached. Oh, how did Steve do? He will tell you that he did not do well, and disappointed those that came out to see him. He was knocked out in the first round this week. Disappointed? Hogwash! Just the opposite. Steve was his jovial self. He took to his new passion, provided entertainment and most importantly competition. He was a stellar competitor. He made an effort to be at the event, and did his best. That's all you can ask of any racer. He's a pleasure to be around, and still was, even though he did not do well in his own mind. The great thing about racing, is the competition, the friends you make and the memories that go with all that. Steve did not produce the results he was looking for, but he did experience the highs, on his first weekend out and the perseived lows on his second attempt. He accomplished getting through a lack lustre weekend, and can hold his head up high. The great thing about Steve is his outlook. Even though he did not accomplish what he wanted, he had a bright spot, a silver lining to his weekend, which I'm sure he'll tell us about. Stay tuned for that.
Congratulations Steve! This weekend was a lot of fun. Better luck next time...that's racing.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

justind97

Re: Local Racing

#2 Post by justind97 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 am

So the question becomes Rory, when are YOU going to get back racing...?

Darrell

#3 Post by Darrell » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:35 am

My local track, The Ridge, just outside Shelton, WA, is only about 20 minutes from my door. I enjoy watching motorcycle road racing, and they have a motocross course open there now, too. I'd like to take my woods bike out and try it on the MX track, but I fear the local young bucks would just knock me down and use me for traction. I've done quite a few track days there, and a raced at Pacific Raceway, which used to be Seattle International Raceway (also at Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, Portland and Sears Point). I gave up road racing when I realized that I was far happier at the end of a race, having come through unscathed, than I was just before the start. When you have to push yourself to get out there it's time to hang it up. I sold my track day bike a few years ago, and I took my RZ out a couple times since, but modern bikes were sucking the paint off my fairing at the end of the long front straight. It would be fun to take it out and run with the new 300-class bikes, though. I'm almost 62 and have found that it takes a lot longer to heal after an injury than it did at 22, and I'm no longer willing to risk tossing it down the track. But track days can still be a lot of fun.
89 Canadian Spec RD-350
2013 BMW R1200RT
2007 Harley XL1200C Sportster
2008 Ducati 1098R
2015 Gas Gas 300 Trials bike
1972 Turbo-Charged 240Z
Zastava Black Arrow .50 BMG

hondaror

#4 Post by hondaror » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:34 am

justind97 wrote:So the question becomes Rory, when are YOU going to get back racing...?
I did 3 races last year in mini's and Super Motard. The goal was to get out on a track day this year and assemble all the RZs. That quickly changed with all the problems we have had associated with our recent move. To compound things, my track RZ just blew power valve seals and my van crapped out two days ago. School last winter put me too far in the red to justify my time in leisure land.
So, my RZ track day will hopefully happen next year. Maybe a drag race or two as well. Possibly a road race. I'd like to race in the US at Daytona and Laguna. I'd also go out in the north east US and see Steve Gyimesi and Mark Morrow. Barber? Who knows. At 55, I'm pining for another kick at the can. Physically, I'm willing to take the risk. Hey, you only live once. You're never too old to race. Frank Mrazek did so until he passed right into his late 70s. If you have the faculties, use them.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

MK

#5 Post by MK » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:47 pm

I have a Kart track nearby (1 h 15 min on the car) and try to be there some 4-5 times a year since the early 2000's.
Compared to the old farts above, I'm a youngster (51), but I try to stay upright coz I need to maintain all the income for the family.
That's why I avoid races and prefer trackdays. Less overmotivated folk, ya know?

Even here it's like like a big family. Meeting people, have a chat about bikes and everything else and not to forgot having fun on the track.
Last week I was testing my new GPS laptimer and it threw out a 55.68 s. Not bad for an amateur as the current Supermoto lap record is in the low 51's.
Bye
Martin

kampinguru

#6 Post by kampinguru » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:31 pm

I remember racing with Frank at Shannonville in the early 90's. He was running vintage then on a loud as f*%k Kawasaki with open pipes. He loved to race and always said he would do it until he died.

hondaror

#7 Post by hondaror » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:56 am

When Frank went in for heart surgery, I think, he was planning his next race. Unfortunately, he did not make it.
I bought my first bike from him, a Yamaha JT60. I am Facebook friends with one of his daughters. I recently purchased his book from his widow.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

Hooligan

#8 Post by Hooligan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:07 am

Rory, just in case you have forgotten (and age will do that to you), crashing REALLY HURTS! Like it REALLY FRICKEN HURTS man.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

hondaror

#9 Post by hondaror » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:31 am

Yup, it does.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749