RZ Frame modified MOTO3 project

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

yamasukiman

Re: RZ Frame modified MOTO3 project

#106 Post by yamasukiman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:02 pm

Ulsterman, don't let them get you down!
Lot's of people admire what you are doing and are very interested.
Good on you mate!

RuZty
-----
-----

#107 Post by RuZty » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:55 am

ghezzi, I like your spirit.
Laird, I hope to have the opportunity to make it to the track next summer and see your projects in action. I can tell you are doing this because the journey is as important or more so than the destination. Enjoy it.

ghezzi

#108 Post by ghezzi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:10 am

I have absolutely no idea how this 3-stroker works, but I will follow closely until I do.

My Grand Dad used to make triple expansion steam engines that would fit in your hands. Ran at 100psi and in a model tug boat 2'6" long would pull you up the river faster than you could swim. He died before I was born. Never saw one of his engines running but my older brother inherited one. By law he needs a full boiler ticket (as in Thomas the Tank engine) before he is allowed to start it. Amazing piece of engineering complete with cam opening/closing ports, not a single bearing or lubrication system yet it spins over so easily and smoothly, there is not a skeric of free play in any component.

Some people are gifted ....................... we stand in awe of you.
I'd rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

Questo vecchio rz

#109 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:56 am

Just obvious examples of tube framed race bikes of various design.
A RZ even with aftermarket cylinders makes far, far less h.p. & tq. than any of these bikes.

All of these race bikes easily exceed 160 mph/257 km and the KTM RC13 should achive speed well over 200 mph/322km.

The RZ350 YPVS Has a frame design quite similar to the last generation TZ racebikes, yes dated but still capable & effective when set up and or modified either through the usual bolt ons & frame mids, or clever extensive reworking & experimentation of the total geometry, as Ulsterman is doing. Ive had & enjoy Delta Boxed chassis, but obviouslly a tube design is fully capable, pick your weapon. Fun stuff no doubt.

Image DUCATI'S dominant 9 series.

Image YAMAHAS dominant TZ750.

recent/current (new) SUZUKI XR69 Replicas, winning regularly often dominating.

Image The PATON no introduction necessary.

Image KTMs awesome RC8.

Image KTMs RC16, New for 2017 Moto GP , 260 h.p 200+ mph prototype machine..OMG..whats that...a tube frame? :smt045. If this bike is competitive, it might transform MOTO GP, as it is rumored that it can be bought by privateers.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

evan_calgary

#110 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:03 pm

Thus exactly why I said perimeter mild steel...which none of the ducati or KTM bikes provided above are...

MK

#111 Post by MK » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Coming back to your piston failure: A friend of mine is having them all the time between 1000 and 8000 road km.
The observation was that 110 mm rods eat them faster than 115 and cast pistons weren't a good choice, too.
His latest record was with Vertex, but at the end they also ate the inlet side of one piston.
He believes it's due to wider inlet ports, but In my opinion it's rpm and load related.
We're using pretty similar setups, but he likes to rev it high. My bikes last, his don't.

Conclusion for race use: use forged pistons, do not alter the existing piston windows.

Concerning the frame:
There's nothing wrong with the RZ frame except it's far too heavy.
The TZ frames used similar dimensions, but thinner wall tubing. Thus they saved some kg compared to the RZ.
If I were you I'd try to do an own one in thin CrMo tubing like my friend Max did:
http://forum.rd350lc.de/viewtopic.php?t=21837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another option would be the TZR250 2MA frame. It's one of the lightest stock bike frames you'll find (some 8 kg if my memory serves me right)
Bye
Martin

RuZty
-----
-----

#112 Post by RuZty » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:45 pm

MK wrote: If I were you I'd try to do an own one in thin CrMo tubing like my friend Max did:
http://forum.rd350lc.de/viewtopic.php?t=21837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like the way there is a pause in the bike progress while a lathe is installed in the garage, then a bit more progress and then a mill is installed. That's commitment.

ulsterman

#113 Post by ulsterman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:26 am

First let me thank you all for the interest
I started the projects with the main goal of have a running motor for US patent
There is the Big RZ to try and keep me sane and have fun and then there is another one an Electric still at the frame and engine stage
that I can't release
()
John Britten was a great man and I have seen his bike and sat on it and infact one of my fellow competitors and countryman raced it
but sadly lost his life on one at the IOM in 1994 -Mark Farmer
()
There has been many frame design over the yrs and Quantel and then Ducati tried the stressed member which meant the frame/Engine is attached to the head stock and can have massive input to steering geo and performance
()
Two Northern Ireland engineers pioneered the feather-bed frame in the Norton over 50 yrs ago as a hanging part of the chassis and whither perimeter or hanging the result is the same
()
I used the RZ frame because I know were to address its short comings and to be honest with the frame being cut the way I have the difference between it and a 10,000 pressure counter pressure Alloy frame like the new machine it is just not worth the difference in cost
()
As I stated at the beginning it is to develop the motor and as a racer I can test what I have done and were the performance short comings are
()
I do hope that sharing these builds if even a small piece and new idea I can share with interested people that it helps in one way or another that it is all worth while -----Faster/cheaper and lots of fun -------Maybe one day I will actually make money from it lol
Laird

ulsterman

#114 Post by ulsterman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:26 pm

http://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/motorc ... 16000-rpm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bought one of these for the Big RZ --Tach and Temp and can be stand alone
Installed and hopefully does the buis-Anyone else installed one of these ?
Last edited by ulsterman on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ulsterman

#115 Post by ulsterman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:29 pm

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/2_stro ... ction_kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working with this company for a fuel injection system -Anyone delt with this company and injection system before ?

hablair

#116 Post by hablair » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:37 am

Very interesting project you have there

Have you had a look at Orbital engines tech?, you will find it in 2T outboards mainly, Mercury Optimax and BRP Evinrude I think use this type of technology

All the very best of Ulster luck to you

ulsterman

#117 Post by ulsterman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:02 pm

Yse the Orbital engine and Etec direct injection came out of Queens University in Belfast under professor Blair -Very Smart man on two strokers for sure

hablair

#118 Post by hablair » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:22 am

Orbital technology Originally developed here in Perth Australia by a Ralph Sarich

He seemed to have sold off the ideas to various firms around the world

I'm originally from Belfast however I don't think I'm related to Prof Blair, I believe he's a very smart man from what I've heard about him

I'll keep tabs on this build from time to time as I think it is a great project

slinger
-----
-----

#119 Post by slinger » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:50 am

ulsterman wrote:http://www.ecotrons.com/products/2_stro ... ction_kit/
Working with this company for a fuel injection system -Anyone delt with this company and injection system before ?
Personally I'd got with Megasuirt

yamasukiman

#120 Post by yamasukiman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:44 am

The Orbital fuel injection system and Prof Blair are not connected(to my knowledge).
There were a few very smart ex-Queens University Mechanical engineers working at Orbital though.

The system was originally developed on the original "Orbital" engine and then applied to two strokes.
A direct injected two stroke runs very low emissions but there is a limited market.