Is Ben Spies finshed?

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

This old RZ

Is Ben Spies finshed?

#1 Post by This old RZ » Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Too bad, but I think poor old Ben's "competitive" career in MOTO GP is over it essentially was when Rossi came back to the factory team and he was ushered to Ducati.
The severe shoulder injury, and reapir with cadaver internals, can only do so much so many riders are unable to overcome any form of shouilder injury. Rossi, Melandri and so many others when hit with these types of injuries its a mountain to climp before they are competitive again if they ever are.
I would like to have thought he would have done far better on a 100% factory machine..even from the get go with no prior experience..but it wasn't to be. You have to be like Rossi, Biaggi, Lorenzo and Marquez and be a winner from the very 1st time you sit on a factory racebike of this caliber.
He was exciting as all get out in WSBK though and his epic battles with Matt Mladin where the championship was decided each year by just a few points were epic. It was essentially the Mladin and Spies show, as all other AMA riders were no where to be found.

I hope he doesn't pull a Colin Edwards and just pull a fat paycheck, doing laps and no victories in a over decade plus career...just taking up grid space :smt015
But obviously that's their job...Id do whatever I was offered to bring in the $ doing what you enjoy, but I'm also sure they would rather be winning or at least being able to compete, the fans do as well
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

Hooligan

Re: Is Ben Spies finshed?

#2 Post by Hooligan » Tue May 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Probably not quite finished yet as he has aparantly signed with a major manufacturer for next year. This year is just something to get him through till that deal comes on line. So if he's gonna be injured, this is the year to do it.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

GPL Racing

#3 Post by GPL Racing » Tue May 07, 2013 4:07 pm

I reckon it's like when Toseland went to moto gp, both very good riders but just didn't cut it with the big boy's.

Badass

#4 Post by Badass » Tue May 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Hooligan wrote:Probably not quite finished yet as he has aparantly signed with a major manufacturer for next year. This year is just something to get him through till that deal comes on line. So if he's gonna be injured, this is the year to do it.

Oooo, what have you heard, who has he signed with Motogp or WSBK? Ben should have listened to me and stayed with WSBK, wait that was in my dreams? "Go with what you know" is my motto. Yamaha has been really good at picking new talent, I think they jumped the gun with Big Ben. He had no overseas experience that I know of, and, was only fighting with one really good rider in AMA not ten in Motogp. Ok I might not have the greatest opinions but I feel I have to just put it out there, laughs.
Two strokes keep the mosquito's in check!!
1984RZ350 Bought with 2,600 mi. in 1998
SpecII Pipes, Complete engine rebuild, 30's, S. 1 Porting, Clutch, Self ported reed cages, T.D.R. reeds, Fork brace, Steering damper.

This old RZ

#5 Post by This old RZ » Thu May 09, 2013 3:37 am

I don't believe there has been any official press about the 2014 season or contracts, But if Ben stays in MOTO GP, and if SUZUKI makes a return to MOTO GP in 2014 as rumored, its a pretty good choice for SUZUKI to go with him, hes a seasoned veteran of the series and ...his salary should be below others FAR below the top riders, and similar to other "unproven" riders. It would be a win win...possibly?
He will not be going back to YAMAHA, rumor is there is BAD BLOOD and feelings there with the main managers from JAPAN? who knows?
But it seems its Biaggi/Honda scenario for Spies and Yamaha?
If hes truly hurt and rehabilitating,to see where he is at it will be interesting to see how he performs...if he can recover from the injury. Its pretty serious 20 years ago, hed be a cripple in his upper extremities from this sort of injury, with only limited ability from his injured side, but what they did was amazing reconstruction.
Hes quite smart and mature for his age, MOM has been running his entire career 100% and shes done a fantastic job and secured MEGA DOLLARS for her son, hes quite well off owns resturants,cycling teams and more. I think he the type who WILL NOT push it if he feels its going to permanently extinguish his career from injuries, hes going to take it slow and safe and see where everything is after it falls and if he can pick up the pieces and rumble on hell do it.
Hes fucking fast and fearless and composed as anyone, when comfortable. remember the WBSK year..HAGA didn't know what hit him, HAGA was by far a shoe in for the title ..but along came Mr. Speedy Jr and wasn't afraid to elbow his way past the top guys, it was impressive to say the least, he won only due to HAGA crashing out in the 1st race of the last round..but still for a rookie to come in and do what he did, with a couple of mechanicals and getoffs and win, in reality he was a juggernuaght that year. without those mishaps he would have been 10-20 points at least in front of HAGA. It ended HAGAs career, too bad but I think HAgA just threw in the towel after that season..hed had enough, just one too many bitter pills to swallow.
I do hope he recovers and finds his way back onto a competitive"factory" effort. But once a rider fals into satellite bike territory, its seems hard to make it back to the top, especially with severe injuries.

In some respects it would be nice to see all the top riders on spec bikes,all bikes equal as in MOTO2 only with 240-260 h.p. can you imagine the spec races there it would be incredible..really could you imagine Rossi, Hayden,Biaggi,Melandri,Bayliss,Spies,Stoner,Pedrosa,Marquez,Checa,Dovisioso, and another dozen or so world class crafty riders all racing against each other on identical prepared machines...hell even the HONDA, its the best developed racing bike...FU%K would the racing be AWESOME as a nuclear attack during happy hour [smilie=blowup[1].gif]
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

Hooligan

#6 Post by Hooligan » Fri May 10, 2013 3:53 pm

I heard from an inside source that he has signed with a major factory (that is not currently competing) for next year. This is a factory he has a history with. Make of that as you will.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

tobster

#7 Post by tobster » Tue May 14, 2013 12:40 pm

To answer the original question, Is Ben Spies finished?
Yes, at least at MotoGP level. He should cut his loses and go back to WSB and ply his trade there ASAP.